Search

Same day Standby Edmonton to Calgary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Same day Standby Edmonton to Calgary

Is there a no cost option? Westjet or Air Canada
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:14 pm

Same day standby is complimentary on this route on anything but a basic fare on AC. Not sure about WestJet.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...in-canada.html
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
If you are WJ Gold or Platinum, same day change (able to confirm seat not just standby like AC) at airport is free for earlier or later flight.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:15 am

Definitely not on WestJet without status. They insist on $100 change fee. WS offers free standby only on Eastern triangle and LGA flights.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC 35k
WS won't, AC will. It's stupid.
gcashin likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

So I used Air CAnada for two return flights to Calgary because of the AC standby policy
Fiordland likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:14 pm

AC standby in the Eastern and Western triangle is only for earlier flight and does not require status. WJ same day confirmed change can be for either earlier or later flight but requires status.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
YYC-YEG is a busy route and based on my observations, seems to commonly have full flights on AC planes, and probably earns them a decent yield for a short hop Q400 flight. If WS wants to pick up share with business travelers on that route, they need to add same day standby. I've frequently gone standby for earlier AC flights that were full and almost always get on the earlier flight. WS confirmed change policy doesn't help out its frequent flyers when it's a full flight so they won't allow a change, but then end up with no-shows or late cancellations and leave with empty seats.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by gcashin
YYC-YEG is a busy route and based on my observations, seems to commonly have full flights on AC planes, and probably earns them a decent yield for a short hop Q400 flight. If WS wants to pick up share with business travelers on that route, they need to add same day standby. I've frequently gone standby for earlier AC flights that were full and almost always get on the earlier flight. WS confirmed change policy doesn't help out its frequent flyers when it's a full flight so they won't allow a change, but then end up with no-shows or late cancellations and leave with empty seats.
I agree with you, WestJet is crazy here not to provide same day stand by for Western triangle. I have purchased AC over WS for this reason.
gcashin and Fiordland like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think WS considers itself to be the leader in these markets but frankly I think AC has more flights on some city pairs like YEG-YVR than Westjet. Another reason to pick AC. Just checked an WS is down to 6 flights on this route vs. AC's 10!!! WS is definitely the laggard!
gcashin likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:28 am

WJ runs the first 2 flights every morning from YEG to YYC using 737-6/7/800 to shuttle passengers into YYC to connect to their banks of mid morning departures to USA or Caribbean/Mexico. 95% of those people are connecting onward. Same thing at the end of the day - last 2 flights of the evening from YYC to YEG are inbound passengers from other destinations landing into YYC from USA or Mexico. This winter an agent showed me the breakdown of the 900 pm inbound destinations and PHX/CUN being the top destinations each with about 30 people. Another obvious sign is all the passengers carry passports in their hands wearing sandals. From my observation, WJ tends to carry more connecting passengers than AC (more pure YEG/YYC) on this route and may be the reason for not offering same day standby.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
WJ runs the first 2 flights every morning from YEG to YYC using 737-6/7/800 to shuttle passengers into YYC to connect to their banks of mid morning departures to USA or Caribbean/Mexico. 95% of those people are connecting onward. Same thing at the end of the day - last 2 flights of the evening from YYC to YEG are inbound passengers from other destinations landing into YYC from USA or Mexico. This winter an agent showed me the breakdown of the 900 pm inbound destinations and PHX/CUN being the top destinations each with about 30 people. Another obvious sign is all the passengers carry passports in their hands wearing sandals. From my observation, WJ tends to carry more connecting passengers than AC (more pure YEG/YYC) on this route and may be the reason for not offering same day standby.
Interesting. That does not sounds like YYC-YEG is a business shuttle route. Based on that assessement I would expect YVR-YYC to be a higher priority for the shuttle treatment.

This is what WS offers on the business heavy shuttle routes:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...vel/simplicity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.