Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet Elite Mastercard Or Something Else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Elite Mastercard Or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Troubler
Like some have said the fee is pretty steep, but I do value getting Marriot Bonvoy Gold Status and the free priority pass. I travel a lot for work, mostly stay at Hiltons but I do have to stay at the odd Marriott so now I get some perks there too. Going to be traveling personally a lot more moving forward too so its nice to have status with more than one chain and have choice. Also, the metal card is kind of cool haha.
I wouldn't value Marriott Bonvoy Gold that highly - it's much different (read devalued) from the old SPMarriott program. In particular, there is no guaranteed late check out of 4 PM nor is there a complimentary lounge/breakfast benefit. All of those benefits have moved to their updated Platinum status (with Titanium being the highest tier). As it stands, I'm currently grandfathered into the Platinum programme thanks to my Gold status with UA (who knows how long that will last). IMHO Hilton is the better of the two statuses since you pretty much can always get free breakfast across the brands at Hilton and have a couple of other perks.

Depending on how often you stay at SPMarriott properties, you may want to look at getting the AE Marriott Bonvoy card which gives you a free night every year at SPMarriott properties worth 35,000 points or less (with no blackouts). I used my credit last year to stay at the AC by Marriott New York Times Square on NYE (rack rate was $1000 when booking online). They also give you 15 nights stay credit every year meaning that you can effectively get your Platinum after staying 35 nights in a year (instead of the usual 50). You also can get 61,000 SPMarriott points after spending $1,500 in the first three months. The best part is the annual fee is low at $120 with free supplementary cards.

Personally, I have about a dozen credit cards, most of them are travel (including AE Gold, AE Bonvoy, TD rrorPlan, and WS World Elite) and have managed to find value in all of them save the World Elite.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Im Diamond with HHonors so that benefit from the Amex Plat did me no good. I only stay about 10 nights a year at Marriot so Im perpetually Silver. Its nice to get a little bump even if the status perks arent mind blowing. If I get through to my renewal and I dont feel like I got the value I hoped for Ill probably drop down to the Gold card.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Troubler
Im Diamond with HHonors so that benefit from the Amex Plat did me no good. I only stay about 10 nights a year at Marriot so Im perpetually Silver. Its nice to get a little bump even if the status perks arent mind blowing. If I get through to my renewal and I dont feel like I got the value I hoped for Ill probably drop down to the Gold card.
IMHO the best perks of the card come not from the specific benefits (ie things such as complimentary status at certain chains), but through things such as FHR bookings, etc. Enjoy your card!

Also, priority pass, airport lounge benefits, etc. Are great when travelling on airlines you dont have status with.
Troubler likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AC, AMEX, BA, WS
Originally Posted by YEG USER
IMHO the best perks of the card come not from the specific benefits [...] but through things such as FHR bookings
If I could add my own data points to this, I'm pretty loyal to Hotels.com but have cancelled two bookings in Vancouver (so far) because of better deals through FHR. Hotels that I'd never be able to afford otherwiselike The Loden and The Fairmont Pacific Rimare not not only within my budget but come with room upgrades, free breakfasts and even free cash to use during my stay.

TL;DR FHR is indeed a great perk!
Troubler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.