Wiki Posts
Search

NA Meal Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by aerobod
The airline industry is powered by TLAs
For those of you not following, "TLA" is a three letter acronym for Truck Loggers Association.

You're welcome.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Fisch
Change is coming in May! It will be like night and day:
- proper TSU
- food produced by Gate Gourmet, not current provider.
- Food served in ceramic service equipment
- real cutlery, real napkin, real salt/pepper shaker

A complete overhaul! Cabin Crew are being trained currently.
Do you know when this is going to get rolled out to the travelling public? When will the changeover be made?
Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’ve switched all my full service flying to AC recently as not having fresh catering on a YEG-YYZ flight is not acceptable. AC offers far superior catering at present. Food used to be free, then we had to pay and now you can’t even pay - nuts for a full service carrier.

Alaska is the tops of all though with Starbucks coffee, decent fresh meals and the famous cheese plate!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Alaska is the tops of all though with Starbucks coffee, decent fresh meals and the famous cheese plate!
WS could learn a lot from AS. The catering on AS is not great by any stretch but it is certainly good enough. And yes, the Fruit & Cheese plate on AS is actually something I look forward to.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:07 pm

My mom just flew YHZ-MCO in Plus today. Was just talking to her and asked how the flight went. She said it was good except she ordered “this steak thing for supper” and she said it’s the worst thing she’s ever eaten on a plane...or possible anywhere.
Looks like a lot of you guys share the same sentiment about that dish.
Do you think the execs at WestJet actually try these dishes? Which one said “wow, this is a great streak sandwich. Let’s serve this on all our flights”
jimsthe1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
She said it was good except she ordered “this steak thing for supper” and she said it’s the worst thing she’s ever eaten on a plane...or possible anywhere.

Do you think the execs at WestJet actually try these dishes? Which one said “wow, this is a great streak sandwich. Let’s serve this on all our flights”
I'd say your mom know her way around food, and I'd have to agree with her assessment. I'd be amazed is any senior (or for that matter, middle or junior) manager had tried it and thought it was a good idea to provide it to paying passengers.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I'd be amazed is any senior (or for that matter, middle or junior) manager had tried it and thought it was a good idea to provide it to paying passengers.
Does anyone remember the test kitchen scene from Breaking Bad where the German chef is describing the corners cut to save money and an array of unappealing flavors to an utterly indifferent executive?

Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
My mom just flew YHZ-MCO in Plus today. Was just talking to her and asked how the flight went. She said it was good except she ordered “this steak thing for supper” and she said it’s the worst thing she’s ever eaten on a plane...or possible anywhere.
Looks like a lot of you guys share the same sentiment about that dish.
My guess is the executive sit in the back trying to be "respectful" of the paying customers.

My guess (and only a guess) is there is some precise way of preparing it that comes out "ok". In a test kitchen, on the ground, in small batches it is probably ok. In large batches and reheated on an aircraft it not edible.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I know it’s been said before, but this interim catering plan is beyond belief.

In Plus/Premium, they took something that was “meh” but passable, and replaced it with grossness. In Economy, they took away (1) pre-ordering, which was relatively popular and (2) choices in many mid to long-ish flights. And official word was that was all just an interim step as they reworked and prepared to totally relaunch their food offering.

I’m excited that the relaunch is imminent. (I just hope they made improvements in Economy, too.)

But why did they have to do the “one step backward” before taking the needed “two steps forward”??

And good god ... I hope whoever gave the green light to the current Plus “Mystery Meat & Mush ‘Sandwich’ In-A-Box ” is not involved in the new, go-forward plan. I’m sure they’re fine people, but that was a really, really bad call...
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Do you know when this is going to get rolled out to the travelling public? When will the changeover be made?
Thanks.
it will all be phased in with 5 phases beginning april 28 and fully implemented fleet wide by june 26 across the entire westjet network.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:00 pm

New dining ware for the 737, preliminary hub to hub yyc-yyz-yyc, yvr-yyz-yvr, yvr-yyc-yvr, launched yesterday. A nice improvement over the cardboard boxes.

FlyerJ likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; May 16, 2019 at 1:07 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 4:52 pm

Old May 16, 2019, 4:57 pm

That looks like a significant improvement. Which route was that on - or is that WS promo material?.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:01 pm

That was yvr-yyz, no oven aircraft.

Old May 16, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
That was yvr-yyz, no oven aircraft.

I'm curious to know what you were served. The bottom right bowl/plate looks like breaded chicken pieces (nuggets?) and to the left it looks like some sort variation on chicken salad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.