Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NA Meal Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Gate Gourmet runs airline catering kitchens all over the world. Optimum Solutions is a new one to me, so I googled them. Interesting is all I can say.......

Optimum Solutions

It appears that from their website: "OPTIMUM solutions’ pricing is well below industry standards as we work directly with manufacturers." So there is a good chance that yet someone else manufactured those sandwiches.
"Pricing well below industry standards" doesn't surprise me one bit as the new MO at Westjet is lowest cost possible and cutting costs at every opportunity. Unfortunately that often leads to sub-optimum solutions.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by jkordyback
For me, it’s kind of down to the cheese plate or nothing. I’ve worked out where all the best airport food is and plan my schedule around that.
For me, the Fruit and Cheese plate in AS is the best thing in the air https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink I'll take that over pretty much anything on offer. I've even been in J on AS and asked to pay for one of those in preference to the J catering.
Fiordland and jkordyback like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
For me, the Fruit and Cheese plate in AS is the best thing in the air https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink I'll take that over pretty much anything on offer. I've even been in J on AS and asked to pay for one of those in preference to the J catering.
You are definitely right, Alaska does have a great cheese plate. The Beecher’s cheese is terrific and I like to pick up some when I’m at SeaTac.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by jkordyback
You are definitely right, Alaska does have a great cheese plate. The Beecher’s cheese is terrific and I like to pick up some when I’m at SeaTac.
So how difficult would it be for WS to provide something like that?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
They could even make it better - substantially better, I think - if they would just take it a bit further and plate these new hot food items.

It doesn’t need to be on fancy china. Even a plastic plate would do.

Just don’t plunk down a plastic-covered plastic tray in a fast food cardboard box. Presentation goes a long way, and serving food in a nice, thoughtful way is a big step up from handing me a package. Even if it’s the exact same food. (Face it. Almost all hot, J class airline meals are little more than glorified Lean Cuisine manufactured meals anyway.)

Having said that, I’m sure it’s easier said than done. (New process rolled out across the cabin crews, new tools, yadda yadda...)
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by Error 601
I was travelling with a Delta Medallion Gold or Platinum guy a few weeks ago who had some editorial comments along those lines. Particularly since he had flown the 767 from YYZ to YYC in Plus, he thought it was a cutback.
Delta doesn’t offer hot food in PE https://www.delta.com/content/dam/de...l_2018_NOV.pdf but the Tillamook cheese & fruit is a solid staple. I’m gonna wait and see what changes, if any, WS business will bring. They could do a much better job in the meantime by at least taking the food out of the cardboard box and as I mentioned it sounded like the FA’s aren’t set up to deliver the program successfully.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
It doesn't matter what Delta offers, what he received in Plus on the 737 was a whole lot worse than what he received on the 767 in Plus.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YYCfasha

Delta doesn’t offer hot food in PE https://www.delta.com/content/dam/de...l_2018_NOV.pdf but the Tillamook cheese & fruit is a solid staple. I’m gonna wait and see what changes, if any, WS business will bring. They could do a much better job in the meantime by at least taking the food out of the cardboard box and as I mentioned it sounded like the FA’s aren’t set up to deliver the program successfully.
That is where we get into semantics. WS is trying to turn this front cabin on the 737 into what Delta would be selling and calling Domestic First Class or Air Canada calls Business Class. Delta First Class has hot meals.

On the 787 the WS front cabin is intended to compete with Air Canada Signature Class or what Delta Calls Delta One. That is a multi-course meal.

While the Premium Cabin on the 787 and the front cabin on the 767 it is competing with Air Canada Premium Economy. Again that is a plated hot meal.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
They could even make it better - substantially better, I think - if they would just take it a bit further and plate these new hot food items.

It doesn’t need to be on fancy china. Even a plastic plate would do.

Just don’t plunk down a plastic-covered plastic tray in a fast food cardboard box. Presentation goes a long way, and serving food in a nice, thoughtful way is a big step up from handing me a package. Even if it’s the exact same food. (Face it. Almost all hot, J class airline meals are little more than glorified Lean Cuisine manufactured meals anyway.)

Having said that, I’m sure it’s easier said than done. (New process rolled out across the cabin crews, new tools, yadda yadda...)
The big thing to improve the offering would be to heat the potatoes and the sandwich in separate contained then have the FA assemble the meal on a real plate. Maybe have a little lettuce and a few slices of tomatoes on a side dish package of dressing on the side.

If they wanted to match AC a slice of cake on another side plate and they are done.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:37 am
Original Member

Good news:
- 787 Cabin Managers (in charge of J Pods) are getting 15 days of service training in January.
- 787 FAs are getting 10 days of service training in January

I am proud of this and feel it is a big step forward... then it must be rolled out systemwide.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Fisch
Good news:
- 787 Cabin Managers (in charge of J Pods) are getting 15 days of service training in January.
- 787 FAs are getting 10 days of service training in January

I am proud of this and feel it is a big step forward... then it must be rolled out systemwide.
I bet they get better food at the training centres than Plus passengers get now and for the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:25 pm

So the cut-off for buy-on-board sandwiches and wraps has been raised from two and a half to four hours, this includes routes like YYC-YYZ.

Of course it isn't as though these flights are not being catered, meals are still being served in Plus on flights longer than two and a half hours. So... load more food and sell it? Isn't that what a business dedicated to maximizing ancillary revenue do? Are you not stealing from your shareholders by failing to do so?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
So the cut-off for buy-on-board sandwiches and wraps has been raised from two and a half to four hours, this includes routes like YYC-YYZ.

Of course it isn't as though these flights are not being catered, meals are still being served in Plus on flights longer than two and a half hours. So... load more food and sell it? Isn't that what a business dedicated to maximizing ancillary revenue do? Are you not stealing from your shareholders by failing to do so?
WestJet used to load a lot more food about 10 years ago, but lost money on the majority of flights due to the spoilage when unsold sandwiches had to be thrown out. The predictability of fresh food sales is very poor on most routes, even when all parameters relating to specific route, stage length, time of day, time of year and guest demographic mix is taken into account. Hence the conservative provisioning of fresh food that hasn’t been pre-ordered.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:20 pm

What pre-ordering? Did that not end months ago?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:40 pm

Should be back at some point, the issue was end of life of the pre-ordering system being used with shift to new catering contracts and a lack of a suitable substitute in the required timeline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.