Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using two Companion vouchers for four people same itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond

Family of four traveling, as a gold tier member I have 2 westjet wide companion vouchers in my account. Is it possible to use 2 companion vouchers for the same itinerary so that I'm paying for two airfares instead of four? Anyone successful in doing this?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Family of four traveling, as a gold tier member I have 2 westjet wide companion vouchers in my account. Is it possible to use 2 companion vouchers for the same itinerary so that I'm paying for two airfares instead of four? Anyone successful in doing this?
I don't know the definitive answer but WS' terms and conditions for companion vouchers include the following:

"Companion Vouchers and WestJet Credit Card Companion Vouchers are issued in the member's name and must be redeemed for WestJet-Marketed and-Operated Flights. To redeem, the member must make the booking and be travelling on the same itinerary as their travelling companion."

The bolding is mine. Since the terms and conditions refer to a singular "companion" I suspect a second voucher cannot be redeemed for two additional travelling companions but I would recommend contacting WS for final determination.
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:27 am

My wife and I each have our own RBC WJ MasterCards, so we often have 2 companion vouchers available to use for our family of 5. In my experience, it is possible to use them both, but it requires calling in to a phone agent, and what they actually do is make two separate bookings with one voucher one each, but link them together so the system recognizes the larger group as travelling together. You do end up with multiple booking references, so checking in becomes a bit more cumbersome to ensure you can select seats together (I did it using multiple browser windows), but nonetheless we have done it and lived to tell the tale.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Jono
My wife and I each have our own RBC WJ MasterCards, so we often have 2 companion vouchers available to use for our family of 5. In my experience, it is possible to use them both, but it requires calling in to a phone agent, and what they actually do is make two separate bookings with one voucher one each, but link them together so the system recognizes the larger group as travelling together. You do end up with multiple booking references, so checking in becomes a bit more cumbersome to ensure you can select seats together (I did it using multiple browser windows), but nonetheless we have done it and lived to tell the tale.
Not the situation described by the OP - the OP stated he had two vouchers in his name, not one in his and one in another family member's name. In the latter case of course it would work since it's simply a case of two people using their own vouchers to travel with one companion each. Not the same as one person looking to use two vouchers in his/her own name travelling on the same itinerary. Again, in the OP's situation I would confirm with WS if it's doable. Reading their terms verbatim, it appears to be contrary to the specific conditions.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I guess I'll find out soon enough!! Gonna try it hopefully this week, maybe some Gold agent will be nice to me (they usually are). If not, then I probably won't get plus fares for one set of tickets. At least I got a bunch of westjet dollars to use as well!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
I guess I'll find out soon enough!! Gonna try it hopefully this week, maybe some Gold agent will be nice to me (they usually are). If not, then I probably won't get plus fares for one set of tickets. At least I got a bunch of westjet dollars to use as well!
I’m in a similar situation (2 vouchers in my name, and family of four) but not planning to use them for a few months.

Let us know how it works out!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coleworld

I’m in a similar situation (2 vouchers in my name, and family of four) but not planning to use them for a few months.

Let us know how it works out!
I just wanted to report back that I had success using 2 westjet-wide companion vouchers for the four of us on one trip. Whether technically I was bending the rules is a matter of debate. I called the Westjet priority gold support line (the agent was extremely nice and helpful), they had to book the flights on two separate itineraries, and I was also able to use up all my accumulated westjet dollars as well! I'm a very delighted Westjet Gold customer!!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
I just wanted to report back that I had success using 2 westjet-wide companion vouchers for the four of us on one trip. Whether technically I was bending the rules is a matter of debate. I called the Westjet priority gold support line (the agent was extremely nice and helpful), they had to book the flights on two separate itineraries, and I was also able to use up all my accumulated westjet dollars as well! I'm a very delighted Westjet Gold customer!!
Thanks. Thats a very useful nugget of information.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:13 pm

WestJet does not account for families

I just spoke to a girl on the phone after waiting on hold 1.5 hours and she just told me no- I can’t use two companion vouchers for one trip even if paying two full fares. I asked to speak to a manager as my vouchers are about to expire and she put me on the same hold line that later said our offices are now closed. I hate WestJet- they always provide a negative experience and frankly I’ll be canceling my card now. No point!!
Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by Jono
These outcomes sound logical - you have 2 bookings, and each uses 1 companion voucher normally and within the T&Cs. The fact that the bookings are for the same flights, and you may select adjacent seats is irrelevant.

This is something that any companion voucher holder could do online (make 2 separate bookings), but you'd be best to call WestJet to link the bookings once you're done.
Originally Posted by MelG23
I just spoke to a girl on the phone after waiting on hold 1.5 hours and she just told me no- I can’t use two companion vouchers for one trip even if paying two full fares. I asked to speak to a manager as my vouchers are about to expire and she put me on the same hold line that later said our offices are now closed. I hate WestJet- they always provide a negative experience and frankly I’ll be canceling my card now. No point!!
Based on the experiences of others, just make 2 separate bookings on the website yourself.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by V1213
These outcomes sound logical - you have 2 bookings, and each uses 1 companion voucher normally and within the T&Cs. The fact that the bookings are for the same flights, and you may select adjacent seats is irrelevant.

This is something that any companion voucher holder could do online (make 2 separate bookings), but you'd be best to call WestJet to link the bookings once you're done.

Based on the experiences of others, just make 2 separate bookings on the website yourself.
There's no way to "link" the PNR's together, we could only a split a PNR. All they would do is add a comment saying "John/Smith PNR XXXXX is travelling with Joe/Smith on PNR XXXXXX".

It was pretty useless to be honest as airport agents barely look at it so stuff gets missed unless it's a family seating issue and in the event of rebooking it doesn't effect anything. You can get rebooked on a 6am flight while your companion gets rebooked on the 6pm flight.

Last edited by djoseph; Sep 23, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.