Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet INSANE boxing day sale 70% off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/lowfar...-code:12262017

INSANE SALE. up to 70% off. US/Canada except Florida/Arizona and Hawaii.

Scored some of these ALL IN ROUND TRIP for myself and tons of family
YYC-LAX $170
YYC-YWG $180
YYC-YYZ $200
YVR-YYZ $200
YYC-LAS $180
YVR-LAS $180
YYC-YUL-$240
YEG-YWG $180
YVR-YYC $130

THANK YOU WESTJET!!!!

EDIT: Looks like it's on the 50% tier now.
eracerblue likes this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Dec 25, 2017 at 11:37 pm Reason: % update
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:21 pm

Wouldn’t let me use the 70% off code. Saying “already used”

Was able to use the 50% off code.

Amazing sale WS - by the time the public wakes up in the morning nothing will be left and they will be annoyed.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This type of deal is just aggravating to customers. The 50% is also gone and it’s the middle of the night in Ontario - no one there will get any of the good deals. Poor promo.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
This type of deal is just aggravating to customers. The 50% is also gone and it’s the middle of the night in Ontario - no one there will get any of the good deals. Poor promo.
In what universe is 70% off a "poor promo."? Some people got 70% off and were very happy. The rest of us now know to play closer attention.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:54 pm

Yah, pay closer attention late in the evening of Christmas Day for a sale fare that probably was available for maybe 45 min. If that.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

lol!! Yeah I'm sorry zero sympathy or empathy here. Limited deals happens when they happen. You snooze you loose. Should retailers open at 10AM instead of 6AM on boxing day because it's too early for people to wake up and shop for the deals?

No empathy especially for Ontario residents considering a Canuck game was played at 5PM on a Saturday this year to please the broadcasting folks over in Toronto
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:47 pm

Why am I engaging. Retailers advertise in advance and everyone knows when the store opens. At least you get the choice of standing outside waiting for the doors to open. Wonderful WS dropped this someone late in the evening. The emails and tweets went out after everything was already sold out. That’s the difference. It’s a poor promotion for that reason.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Terrible promo. A small number of people get to score it in the middle of the night in the east, E mail dropped at 2:10 am. For everyone else was gone by the time they woke up. Great way to get people to embrace your brand.
Meanwhile AC sends out a 15% straight up promo discount good for 4 days.

Last edited by yul36; Dec 26, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Amazing promo. WS does not have to do run promos based on what time people sleep in the east, that's absolutely ridiculous.

15% off is also offered by WS for anything past the Jan 30th date. WS just added a ton more discounts on top of what AC is doing.

I gave this some thought. Lets say WS did give some heads up on this promo. All Canadians waiting up for it. How many mom and pop types would complain because 10000 people all tried to buy at once and they missed out? Knowing the type customers WS caters to, their social media would get lit up.

This was a perfectly executed promotion with no real bugs or errors. Well done WS!

**** EDIT: Yes I do 100% agree that they should have sent out notifications at the same time as promo roll out... that part I didn't know... I was just on WS website and happened to notice the launch page and got lucky there.

Last edited by SKYEG; Dec 26, 2017 at 9:48 pm Reason: Deserved more explanation
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:31 pm

[QUOTE=SKYEG;29217942]Amazing promo. WS does not have to do run promos based on what time people sleep in the east, that's absolutely ridiculous"

Why, they should be available to everyone, This was not a targeted campaign. If you know half the audience will not be able to take part where is the fairness in that. .

"15% off is also offered by WS for anything past the Jan 30th date. WS just added a ton more discounts on top of what AC is doing."

How do you figure that when AC from the get go gave the 15%. In the original WS promo the 15% was only until the end of the day. It changed to match the AC promo. The 70% and 50% were only available to the first few hundred in the door,
yet the promo did not say 15% off it said in big bold letters 70% and continued to do so long after they were gone. At least on the routes I checked Tue pm.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
I'm one of the lucky few who managed to use the 70% off code.
Very convenient for an aviation & airplane geek such as I.
Paid $179 to do a same day YUL-YYZ-YHZ-YUL just to fly the elusive 737-600 and log a couple segments on my beloved Q400.

Bonus: I get to have lunch in Halifax.

#FirstWorldProblems
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:03 pm

All sorts of retailers have all sorts of "flash sales" with all sorts of limitations and notice from very short to none. There is no obligation to be universally fair to anyone and everyone that potentially may be interested.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:01 pm

Name a retailer that drops a limited number of anything on sale late Christmas evening. Then promotes it via social media and email blasts after the bulk of, if not all the sale items are sold.

I know WestJet can never do wrong on this forum but this was a stupid promotion.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
It was a good promo. I was too late jumping on it to get anything at 70% off, but I still saved a few bucks on a couple of flights I would have booked soon anyway, so what's not to like?

Honestly, some people will find fault with anything. Get a grip.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
It was a good promo. I was too late jumping on it to get anything at 70% off, but I still saved a few bucks on a couple of flights I would have booked soon anyway, so what's not to like?

Honestly, some people will find fault with anything. Get a grip.
Exactly, you would have booked them anyways. So you got 15% off, thanks to the air canada offer being longer and westjet matching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.