Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled flight compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Cancelled flight compensation

Supposed to fly Toronto to London Gatwick on WS003 on 8th August but on arriving at check in was told flight was cancelled, due to mechanical issues keeping plane at Gatwick, put on arranged flight WS4103 following evening at 22.57, given hotel room with 2 double beds, not bad but there was 5 of us, tried to contact WestJet but 7 varieties of media is phone, email, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc, no reply for 18 hours. Arrived back at airport flight now delayed till 23.25, then got delayed to 00.25. Annoyed to see WS003 that night went on time. What compensation should I get?

They have given me 250 WestJet dollars for each person, that would be ok if I lived in Canada, but as I live in the UK this would only get me just into the Atlantic Ocean, and that means I have to fly WestJet again!!!!!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The ex Gatwick people get EC 261 moolah, and you get what they gave you. I am surprised they were slow on Twitter. I hector them on Twitter and they are usually fast to respond. Try a public post about how they delay 5 people 24 hours, don't give proper hotels and a "refund" that you can't use and see if they DM you with some chat which I suspect they will do.

The fact the next day the same flight went on time is completely unrelated to the issue, isn't it? They are not going to delay WS003 forever due to yours being late.

Better advice, hindsight mind you would have been to research the woeful performance of WS flights to and from the UK and flown on anything else like a kite, or zeppelin.

What were the 7? Phone, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, no idea how Snapchat would do anything but the other two were what?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:45 pm

Lengthy delays never happen at other airlines.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-ticket.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-ac-890-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ights-why.html

Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
I fail to see the equivalence here. The OP posted about a cancelled flight on WS for Mechanical reasons, and the inadequate was he was compensated for a 24 hour delay. What other delays on other carriers may have occurred is not the topic of discussion. WS has been having on going issues with their ex QF fleet of 767's and they have written up widely on the number of complaints stemming from this fleet.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:08 am

If you do your homework, I think you'll find WS's TATL OTP this summer has been excellent, and a dramatic turnaround compared to the summer of 2016.

AC mainline is also running a tight ship west bound TATL today, as is Transat.

By way of comparison, take a look at a certain other airlines 767 OTP TATL and today is as good a day to compare OTP as any. There are a number of westbound TATL departures running 2+ hours late.

Always best to avoid throwing stones in glass houses.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by yul36
I fail to see the equivalence here. The OP posted about a cancelled flight on WS for Mechanical reasons, and the inadequate was he was compensated for a 24 hour delay. What other delays on other carriers may have occurred is not the topic of discussion. WS has been having on going issues with their ex QF fleet of 767's and they have written up widely on the number of complaints stemming from this fleet.
The one hotel room for 5 people was miserly and the rest was not that bad. That said an airline should find a seat on a flight not flop people into a hotel for an entire day like it matters not to them.

WS service for me has been good to YVR and SJO (other than the fact they are the ONE airline not including departure tax, now that the stingy Spirit has integrated it), but after reading about their not only bad record to the UK but this sort of useless reparation means I'd not pay them a sou to travel to Europe.

Pushing to be equal to AC in terms of bad service is a bad target, frankly.

I am not sure the OP actually used 7 different forms of communication but if their lack of response is true, bad job, WS.

I've found WS to respond in minute on Twitter though often not helpful as much as excuse jugglers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.