Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Ranked Among Airlines With Fewest Delays

Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

I came across an interesting MSN post that ranked the worst 18 airlines for on-time performance, along with the best. Westjet ranked among the best, with only 19.6% of its July 2017 flights being delayed. The average delay for those flights was 46 minutes. Encore also made the best performer list, with only 14.9% of its flights delayed, and an average delay of 51.6 minutes.

By comparison, Air Canada appears on the list of the 18 worst airlines three different times, since its mainline, rouge and Sky Regional/Air Canada Express are counted as different operations.

For Air Canada mainline, 33.4% of its July flights were late, with an average delay of 52 minutes. Apparently 37% of Air Canada rouge flights were late, with an average delay of 58 minutes, while its Sky Regional/Air Canada Express was late 41% of the time, with an average delay of 61 minutes.

Best performer was Hawaiian, with only 7.6% pf its July flights delayed, and with an average delay of 40.8 minutes.

On a personal note, I had only two delayed flights last month, both departing Florida and thunderstorm-related (meaning the whole airport was shut down).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...AAqitpY#image=

Last edited by Symmetre; Aug 20, 2017 at 10:43 am Reason: Added info
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:05 am

If you want to look look at the data the article used, it is here http://www.flightstats.com/company/m...orts/airlines/
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Is there a measurement that handicaps each airline for the weather?
I would expect Westjet would (generally) deal with slightly better weather on their flights than Air Canada.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Oh of course they would...arrrgggg!!!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by jerry305
I would expect Westjet would (generally) deal with slightly better weather on their flights than Air Canada.
How do you figure that? The majority of their flights are in and out of the same airports.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jerry305
Originally Posted by Symmetre
How do you figure that? The majority of their flights are in and out of the same airports.
That's why I said "slightly".

I'm guessing Air Canada may visit some cities that have poor weather or less ability to adjust for conditions.
I'm guessing Air Canada has a few more flights in eastern Canada, and Westjet has a few more flights in western Canada.

No two airlines will have identical levels of weather delay.
I just want to know if there's a measurement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.