Search

Westjet dollars still expire ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Westjet dollars still expire ?

In view of the recent bill that passed in Ontario outlawing the expiry of reward/loyalty currency, will Westjet drop the expiry on currently issued Westjet dollars.

I know that the bill has not entered into force yet, but even scammy Airmiles showed some "goodwill" and ended their expiry policy. Why isn't Westjet doing it ?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:36 am

Air Miles didn't do it as a good will gesture the ship was sinking fast and they had to do damage control. They knew it was going to happen so they decided to spin it to look like they were being nice. At this time Westjet Dollars still expire. If you look on your account under expiry it shows the dates and how many points expire. I think they are waiting to see the context of the law and when it is going into effect before they decide to change anything.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Westjet should offer free extensions of Westjet dollars validity as a sign of goodwill, until the law comes into force
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westj...ive-years.html
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
donate westjet dollars to charity

My WestJet dollars (around 150) are going to expire in few months. Is there a way i can donate them for any charity. I could not find any details. so will be thankful if some one can provide info on the same.

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:38 am

I don't know of any way to donate them to charity but they just need to be used towards a ticket by the expiry date you don't have to travel by then so maybe that helps for a trip farther into the future?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
You can also use them to buy a ticket for anyone.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You can also use them to buy a ticket for anyone.
like me!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:20 am

When I last met with WestJet Rewards in December I posed this question to them and was told that although the T&Cs state 5 years they don't actually expire your dollars. I've always used up my WestJet dollars so I can't speak from experience whether this is true or not but since it came from them one could assume this is the case.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by superdawg
When I last met with WestJet Rewards in December I posed this question to them and was told that although the T&Cs state 5 years they don't actually expire your dollars. I've always used up my WestJet dollars so I can't speak from experience whether this is true or not but since it came from them one could assume this is the case.
Well, I've had miles expired on me although it was not a lot, 50 dollars IIRC, but they still were clawed back from my account about a year ago so it has happened to me.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

did the Ontario and Quebec law that forbid point expiry enter into effect yet ? Should Westjet return the miles that have been expired since the law was passed ?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
did the Ontario and Quebec law that forbid point expiry enter into effect yet ? Should Westjet return the miles that have been expired since the law was passed ?
Not sure about the Quebec law BUT - according to Ontario law you will not YET get any expired $ back between Dec '16 and June '17 when WestJet changed its policy.

"The new law was approved by the legislature on December 5, 2016 and will come into force in 2018 after we talk with consumers and businesses about how best to implement the change.

After this assessment, the law will come into force and your points that expired on or after October 1, 2016 will be reinstated. In the meantime, be sure to keep statements that show your points balance.
"

New WestJet T's&C's on Reward $:
i.Effective June 6, 2017, Base Rewards (as defined herein) will not expire due to the passage of time. WestJet dollars will be maintained in the member's account and may be redeemed at any time in accordance with these terms and conditions.
ii.Effective June 6, 2017, Bonus Rewards (as defined herein) will expire on the individual date(s) specified in the terms or conditions of the promotion, contest or compensation initiative or, in the absence of such terms and conditions, then expiry will be one (1) year from date of issuance. Once the expiry date is reached the Bonus Rewards will expire and cannot be redeemed. Extension of Bonus Rewards is not permitted. Members may view certain applicable expiry dates for Bonus Rewards by signing into their account at westjet.com/account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.