Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do westjet dollars still expire after five years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Does it matter if one is an Ontario resident or if one lives in one of the other nine provinces?

Thank you
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:00 am

I don't know about Ontario but they do expire after 5 years. If you log in and look under westjet rewards and then expiring Westjet dollars it gives you a list of how many are expiring and when.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
If you live in Ontario, your Westjet dollars will not expire because of the date it was earned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle33211454/
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I was awaiting some clarification on this one as it wouldn't make any sense to have one rule for Ontario and another for everywhere else so expect they will just issue a notice saying banked miles do not expire. Maybe our resident WestJet lurker can help address this matter.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:45 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Originally Posted by tcook052
I was awaiting some clarification on this one as it wouldn't make any sense to have one rule for Ontario and another for everywhere else so expect they will just issue a notice saying banked miles do not expire. Maybe our resident WestJet lurker can help address this matter.
Hi all,

At this time, expiry dates continue to apply to all WestJet dollars. The Ontario government passed Bill 47 on December 5, 2016, however there are still many steps to be taken before it becomes law. The Ontario government issued a news release stating that the new law will not come into force until later in 2017 after the government talks with consumers and businesses about how best to implement the change.

We will, of course, ensure that we comply with all applicable laws. Until we have all the details, however, we won’t be able to provide more information about precisely how we will proceed.

Mandy
WestJet
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by WestJet
the new law will not come into force until later in 2017 after the government talks with consumers and businesses about how best to implement the change.
I appreciate the update Mandy and it's always good to see how things will shake out but how many ways can there be to remove loyalty program expiry dates?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
how many ways can there be to remove loyalty program expiry dates?
Off the top of my head, at least
  1. No expiration for anyone.
  2. Expiration based on registered address.
  3. Redefine the program to work around the law.
  4. Cancel the program for Ontario residents.
  5. Cancel the program for everyone.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:20 am

Here's my list of possible outcomes:
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Here's my list of possible outcomes:
I think that's the least likely option, and that (b) and (d) are most likely not just for WestJet, but for every other airline and hotel program in the world. Airlines and hotels would lose too much money if they couldn't rely on breakage. There are precedents for (d), as many promotions and offers are already not available to residents of Quebec.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think that's the least likely option, and that (b) and (d) are most likely not just for WestJet, but for every other airline and hotel program in the world. Airlines and hotels would lose too much money if they couldn't rely on breakage. There are precedents for (d), as many promotions and offers are already not available to residents of Quebec.
We can agree to disagree as given Ont. makes up almost 40% of the nation's population cutting out that many members would gut the program.
Ending WJ Rewards would involve many things including the CC deal with RBC. And with the introduction of Plus and wooing away the business traveller from AC ending a loyalty program that rewards those high flyers would also seem a poor strategy.

Just MHO and YMMV.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Further clarification request

Originally Posted by WestJet
Hi all,

At this time, expiry dates continue to apply to all WestJet dollars. The Ontario government passed Bill 47 on December 5, 2016, however there are still many steps to be taken before it becomes law. The Ontario government issued a news release stating that the new law will not come into force until later in 2017 after the government talks with consumers and businesses about how best to implement the change.

We will, of course, ensure that we comply with all applicable laws. Until we have all the details, however, we won’t be able to provide more information about precisely how we will proceed.

Mandy
WestJet

Hi Mandy,

I may be wrong, but I believe that it is a law, since that is what an act becomes once it is passed by the legislature.
My understanding is also that the law says that any points put to death after October 1 2016 will need to be restored.

The government can consult as much as it likes, and compose regulations, but the law is the law and has already been passed .If that is the case , I would hope that westjet could get in front of this and provide some clarification soon, not wait until (perhaps only a few) customers are inconvenienced, and the man is at their door. So hopefully you can relay this opinion to your colleagues as well. Thank you

Last edited by Jared Ito; Jan 12, 2017 at 2:33 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:15 am

This is the current state of Bill 47: "The new law was approved by the legislature on December 5, 2016 and will come into force in 2017 after we talk with consumers and businesses about how best to implement the change." https://www.ontario.ca/page/reward-points
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How about the new Quebec law that outlaws expiry of reward points ? Is it in effect now ?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:07 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westj...y-base-wj.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.