Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hainan J to WestJet baggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze,ex-AC*SE,ex-AC*E,ex-AC*P, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Gold, HH Gold
Hainan J to WestJet Y baggage allowance

Later this year I will be flying HKG-PEK-YYZ-YOW, the first two legs are business class on Hainan Airlines connecting to WestJet economy for the final leg. I believe there may be some form of co-operation between the two airlines?

Main question is: Can I check my baggage all the way from HKG - YOW, and what would happen if I checked two bags, which is allowed for business on Hainan, would this be accepted or would WestJet "present" me with a bill for excess baggage at some stage

Last edited by ex-egll; Feb 20, 2016 at 5:55 pm
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:14 am

The Baggage allowance would be whatever the allowance is with Hainan Airlines. You will have to pick up your bags in Toronto to clear them through customs and then put them on the transfer belt before you exit.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze,ex-AC*SE,ex-AC*E,ex-AC*P, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Gold, HH Gold
Thanks for the response, that's what I was hoping for.

Would that mean, conversely, on the outbound leg YOW-YYZ in WestJet Y I would only be entitled to 1 piece @ 23kg when connecting to a Hainan J flight YYZ-PEK?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:02 am

Here is the link to their page.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav.../checked.shtml

If you are travelling with one of our airline partners please be sure to familiarize yourself with the fees for your journey by visiting our airline partners page. Fees are collected on a one-way basis by the airline operating the first flight for each direction of your journey.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, as my ticket is sold by HU then hopefully this may apply:

The fee and the amount charged will be based on the fare level purchased, where you are travelling to and from, and on the marketing carrier (the airline selling the seat).
Guess a phone call or two will be needed
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:00 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Ex-egll, best bet is to call the airline who issued the ticket. The ticket they issued will have the baggage allowance embedded into it, and it's that which our system will follow when issuing bag tags and any fees.

Cheers,
Darren

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.