Search

Baggage fees w/ WS World Elite MC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Presto
Baggage fees w/ WS World Elite MC

From the WS website:

"If you're a WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard cardholder*, then you don't have to pay the first checked bag fee, and neither do up to eight guests travelling with you on the same reservation. Just make sure to include your nine-digit WestJet ID at the time of booking. "

-------------

I read that the reservation does not need to be paid for using your WS World Elite MC, only that you have one and your WS ID is on the reservation; is this correct?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:46 pm

The way I understand it is if your Westjet rewards number is on the reservation then you don't have to pay for the first bag. Using the World Mastercard for purchasing is not required.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!^
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:27 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
The way I understand it is if your Westjet rewards number is on the reservation then you don't have to pay for the first bag. Using the World Mastercard for purchasing is not required.
This is correct. The cardholder must be named on the PNR and they must be able to produce the credit card for verification, but they do not have to have used the WS World Elite Card for the ticket purchase.

Welcome aboard NoahVail!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks Fisch, glad to see you're still around, it's good to see a familiar face/handle.

Last edited by NoahVail; Dec 2, 2014 at 6:38 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:22 pm

Is tax charged on the waived baggage fees? (You do charge tax on Westjet Dollar redemptions. Hence my question.)
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:51 am

No. There is no tax to pay.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:06 pm

However, as Mrs. Skofz and I discovered last week, if you book as an AA codeshare they aren't able to waive the fees.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:50 pm
bhp

Originally Posted by skofz
However, as Mrs. Skofz and I discovered last week, if you book as an AA codeshare they aren't able to waive the fees.
Can anyone else confirm? I booked a Delta marketed fare operated by Westjet for a flight from YVR to LAX, wondering if I add the Westjet ID onto the reservation, can the baggage fees be waived with the RBC Elite MC?
Old May 15, 2016, 8:52 pm

While a bit ridiculous, it looks like it may still be true.

From the t&c's of the card:
Valid on itineraries marketed and wholly operated by WestJet; not valid when travelling with WestJet's code-share or interline partners.
I suppose the 'marketed' portion is what excludes codeshares. Could try calling WS and get them to confirm though.
Old May 15, 2016, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
While a bit ridiculous, it looks like it may still be true.
WestJet doesn't get the same revenue from a codeshare, so what incentive do they have for offering the same benefit?
Old May 16, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
WestJet doesn't get the same revenue from a codeshare, so what incentive do they have for offering the same benefit?
If this was about revenue from flights, they wouldn't offer free luggage to anyone.

They make $$$ from people using the credit card.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sokolov
They make $$$ from people using the credit card.
I fail to see the relevance. You don't need to use the card to get the benefit. You just need to have the card. So there's no revenue component there.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I fail to see the relevance. You don't need to use the card to get the benefit. You just need to have the card. So there's no revenue component there.
Why do you think WestJet offers a signup bonus? Why do you think RBC charges an annual fee?

Even if you never use the card, WestJet is clearly making some revenue - albeit less than if you use it.

And then RBC will hit you with an additional fee if you don't use the card at all, IIRC.
Old May 20, 2016, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
And then RBC will hit you with an additional fee if you don't use the card at all, IIRC.
YRI (You Recall Incorrectly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.