Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Penguin: it is going to take me some time to crunch all the numbers. I honestly have to go back and double check my spend in 2014 to get an idea what my spend will be in 2015. I think I would be above $6,000, but I am not sure.

I had a feeling you would stick with AC and I will likely stick with AC too just because having benefits across the alliance is HUGE. My wife is from Indonesia so having gold benefits on SQ and NH is a HUGE benefit for us.

However, I think I need to try WS again as it was 2006 that I flew them last. Having the gold status will make that much more possible. I may buy an AC eastern/maritimes flight pass and then fly WS to at least Ontario and then segment run on AC via the flight pass (to keep my segments and *A gold). If I do that, then I can test out WS lounge, in-flight experience, etc. I really want to try something new and WS would be something new for me for sure!
Yeah, my gut said the same thing, even when I was really upset. I really hope it works out for you. For me, the alliance doesn't mean anything as I only travel domestic and on J reward tickets. However, there is intrinsic value to each point, and AE still beats WS. I feel like AC is now more like a "friend" that I can't get rid of (irrespective of antibiotic). I will have to live with it until WS can continue to compete domestically. After 50K i'll probably just keep my WS status. I too want to try something new. Tough week my friend, tough week. I do sincerely appreciate WS for trying to compete. Keep it up!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yeah, my gut said the same thing, even when I was really upset. I really hope it works out for you. For me, the alliance doesn't mean anything as I only travel domestic and on J reward tickets. However, there is intrinsic value to each point, and AE still beats WS. I feel like AC is now more like a "friend" that I can't get rid of (irrespective of antibiotic). I will have to live with it until WS can continue to compete domestically. After 50K i'll probably just keep my WS status. I too want to try something new. Tough week my friend, tough week. I do sincerely appreciate WS for trying to compete. Keep it up!
Afraid of flying with the Kettles are you?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
AC responds to WS Status Match ads

As expected, AC has responded to WS's 2-page ad from last week with its own, a full page ad in many of today's dailies comparing Altitude with WS's FF program. The heading is:
"Not all Golds carry the same weight."

It goes on:
"Some rewards are more valuable than others. Only Air Canada Altitude offers members the utmost in comfort, convenience, and service, with access to benefits like:

AIR CANADA ALTITUDE Frequent Flyer Program:
• Up to 3 complimentary checked bags with complimentary sports equipment handling
• Priority Seat Selection
• Up to unlimited access to Air Canada's extensive number of Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance member airline lounges
• Priority baggage handling, priority check-in, priority reservations services
• Priority boarding
• Upgrades to Business Class
• Access to any unsold seat in Economy Class
• Up to unlimited complimentary Preferred Seat selection with more leg room
• Air Canada concierge service
• Air Canada Duty Free Boutique discount
• Accelerated Status Recognition with travel partners
• Exclusive Partner Offers
• Recognition within the Star Alliance network
• Access to over 1500 daily flights and over 180 destinations

OTHER CANADIAN Frequent Flyer Program:
• Up to 2 checked bags
• Up to 4 advanced seat selections
• 10 free lounge vouchers
• Priority screening
• Advance boarding
• Companion flights
• Access to 526 daily flights and 88 destinations
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Seems rather disingenuous to compare Altitude Super Elite benefits to WestJet Gold. $6K in domestic/transborder spend probably equals Elite 35K or Elite 50K at most.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:36 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Hmm. Good to know. Is the food same as BOB? Can u order a special meal? Thanks Jaysona
It's a bit quirky just now as the pre-ordered meals operate out of a separate system. Guests in Plus can choose only from the on-board menu, or can pay to pre-select a meal. We're hoping to put incorporate meals into the booking flow one day, which might mean complimentary pre-ordered meals, but that's not on offer at the moment.

Darren, thank you very much for the post. You definitely have me intrigued and I will be watching for the announcement on October 29.

Just some feedback for you, most of it I am sure your marketing research has long since told you:

1. It's hard to win over AC FF members, especially once they have a taste of Star Alliance elite benefits (you know that). ... There's something though about having gold status across an alliance....the customer definitely feels more connected to the world especially if they travel outside domestic itineraries.

2. A lot of AC FFs would love to be presented with a good reason to leave.

3. It would be tough for me to contemplate switching to WS due to both the hard product and the schedule.

Between personal and business flying, I probably would generate about $7000-$9,000 in fare revenue for an airline. It's not much, but it must be more than your average Canadian traveler. In return for that business, all I want is, again, comfort: priority everything (check in, security, boarding, baggage), some additional complimentary check baggage thrown in, access to a priority reservation line, easier or advance access to seats with a little more leg room than your standard 31 inch pitch (which I hate) and lounge access. Oh, and to be treated with respect and like my loyalty is recognized and appreciated. I am sure I represent a considerable number of AC Elites who aren't necessarily fixated on upgrades to J-class. Sure, upgrades are nice, but they’re going the way of the dodo bird. I am certain that I must represent a market niche that WS could somehow exploit.
Hi Capebretonboy,

Noting that your post was up before our status match offer was released, we hope you've had a chance to take a look. We think the offering will be of great value to you. While not answering all of your requests, we've tried to build a program that works in the long term, for our guests and business. We'd hate to have dial back a benefit in the future if the hard costs or displaced revenue of offering that service get too high - we've heard how much people hate those kinds of changes.

We're thrilled with the level of response to our offer and it's clear that high-flying business travellers like yourself have been looking for a better-value offering.

We hope to welcome you on board soon.

News just in. Official.

You can choose to credit to WS dollars OR AA miles.

NOTE: You must credit to WS dollars in order to retire your $6k quota (aka to hit that limit). If you credit to AA, the money you spend will NOT go towards hitting your $6k quota.

PS - Thanks Darren from WS, you now know who I am in real life
Your secret's safe with me, Mr Penguin!

I've done the math. I am most likely sticking with AC (very reluctantly). The math and overall product is still marginally better at AC. Aeroscam has me by the proverbial balls. The final nail in the coffin is where E75K's board. - do I priority board with the SE100K's or do I board with the CC's. If with the CC's, I'll most likely be with WS. We'll see in December...

It was close. Maybe in a few days, or years, WS can entice me some more. A higher WS (currently 5%) redemption with upgrades to Plus and i'm there.

Keep in mind most elites currently already have constant access to Plus (preferred seating), so by going to WS I'd be back at 32", which is a net material loss for me. I do have to applaud WS for their quick response and to Darren for being on here!

PS. If I can get a receipt for a plus seat without it saying "Premium economy", i'd be a game changer. Please let me know if you implement this (imagine the corporate guys like me....I can't have it saying PE on the receipt. If it just says Y or fare bucket, I can get away with it
Know you're welcome on board at any time! It would be our pleasure to whisk you off to your next port of call.

Penguin: it is going to take me some time to crunch all the numbers. I honestly have to go back and double check my spend in 2014 to get an idea what my spend will be in 2015. I think I would be above $6,000, but I am not sure.

I had a feeling you would stick with AC and I will likely stick with AC too just because having benefits across the alliance is HUGE. My wife is from Indonesia so having gold benefits on SQ and NH is a HUGE benefit for us.

However, I think I need to try WS again as it was 2006 that I flew them last. Having the gold status will make that much more possible. I may buy an AC eastern/maritimes flight pass and then fly WS to at least Ontario and then segment run on AC via the flight pass (to keep my segments and *A gold). If I do that, then I can test out WS lounge, in-flight experience, etc. I really want to try something new and WS would be something new for me for sure!
We hope to see you on board soon, and look forward to reading about your experience.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by WestJet
It's a bit quirky just now as the pre-ordered meals operate out of a separate system. Guests in Plus can choose only from the on-board menu, or can pay to pre-select a meal. We're hoping to put incorporate meals into the booking flow one day, which might mean complimentary pre-ordered meals, but that's not on offer at the moment.
I'd really like to see this! Hope this happens soonish!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
I'd really like to see this! Hope this happens soonish!
Should add: "for guest in Plus."
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

Hi Capebretonboy,

Noting that your post was up before our status match offer was released, we hope you've had a chance to take a look. We think the offering will be of great value to you. While not answering all of your requests, we've tried to build a program that works in the long term, for our guests and business. We'd hate to have dial back a benefit in the future if the hard costs or displaced revenue of offering that service get too high - we've heard how much people hate those kinds of changes.

We're thrilled with the level of response to our offer and it's clear that high-flying business travellers like yourself have been looking for a better-value offering.

We hope to welcome you on board soon.

Your secret's safe with me, Mr Penguin!

Know you're welcome on board at any time! It would be our pleasure to whisk you off to your next port of call.

We hope to see you on board soon, and look forward to reading about your experience.
Hands down, an awesome response and I can tell from the nuances that you're probably trained in social media as your jabs back at AC are subtle but professional. It was a great post and a great read! Thanks for being on FT!

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Nov 5, 2014 at 9:15 pm
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:18 pm

Should add: "for guest in Plus."
Yes please!!!!!! ^
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Seems rather disingenuous to compare Altitude Super Elite benefits to WestJet Gold. $6K in domestic/transborder spend probably equals Elite 35K or Elite 50K at most.
Disingenuous?

Or just plain misleading?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:10 pm

Hands down, an awesome response and I can tell from the nuances that you're probably trained in social media as your jabs back at AC are subtle but professional. It was a great post and a great read! Thanks for being on FT!
Three years and counting on the WestJet social media team! Glad you liked the post. We're happy to be here.

Had a great chat today with Marshall Wilmot, Vice-President - Product and Distribution. He, and his team who created the program, are all enjoying the discussion here!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Three years and counting on the WestJet social media team! Glad you liked the post. We're happy to be here.

Had a great chat today with Marshall Wilmot, Vice-President - Product and Distribution. He, and his team who created the program, are all enjoying the discussion here!
Cool. Keep on adapting. The WS product simply isn't quite there enough for us (or my team) even though WS is within Concur policy and AC is not. I am happy to provide feedback or jump on a call with WS to see where there are oppty's that don't take away from the FF program domestically in the long run. You know who I am Darren, reach out anytime!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:56 pm

Cool. Keep on adapting. The WS product simply isn't quite there enough for us (or my team) even though WS is within Concur policy and AC is not. I am happy to provide feedback or jump on a call with WS to see where there are oppty's that don't take away from the FF program domestically in the long run. You know who I am Darren, reach out anytime!
Hopefully one day we'll have the privilege of getting all your business. Until then, please know we'll welcome you on board with open arms at any time.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Great thread... exactly what I was looking for on this visit to FT. I am with the majority of you in that I welcome with open arms the opportunity for change. However, the limiting factor is the lack of official global alliance partnership that will allow for QM on both domestic and international travel. My *A $24K+ per year is up for grabs with the right offering.

+1 OneWorld
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
The door is open.
United will discontinue flying Saskatoon to Denver Feb 28 , Will West Jet take on this lucrative route. Saskatoon have a lot of US hunters and fishermen coming to Saskatchewan that will now fly United to Calgary and then AC to Saskatoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.