Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:36 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Only drawback I can think of is no WS lounge in YOW

That is one of the more frequent cities I fly in and out of....
Being based out of YOW, it's a thought in my mind as well. I believe the only non-airline lounge closed around 4-6 years ago (not sure when), and I doubt they will open a new one soon.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Yep! Status match for current AC Elites (*A Gold) or AC Prestige (*A Silver) members. Or there is a fast track option:

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/rewards/get-gold.shtml
Signed up and then my wife the member numbers were already 46 apart in 5 min
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite

Will be submitting my status match today. Glad to see some competition in Canada
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Hmm, will WS status match DL's statuses? I didn't have any AC status because I flew WS and credited to AA instead.

Will definitely be crediting to WS from now on though!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Except this offer is not just targeted at SE's but ANY frequent flier who clocks more than 25K a year in a Canadian loyalty program. Very myopic analysis of who this promotion is targeted to. In addition, not every FFer is clamouring for upgrades. We should be applauding WJ in providing a more competitive landscape for Canadian FFers to chose from. This is long overdue.
If you checked the date of my post, it was two days before this was announced and the thread discussion had been comprised primarily of AC SEs (or 75KElite) speculating. Clearly this offer by WS is attractive to any AC lower tier elite who travels pretty much domestically. I still don't think it will appeal as much to SEs who split their travel between NAmerica and overseas. That said, there's much to commend this offer.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Requested to match...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

Thought of something else: priority check in should be something WS considers offering their golds and plus flyers. Although, unlike AC,
WS properly staffs their check in desks, so there's rarely a line up from what I've seen.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Hmm, will WS status match DL's statuses? I didn't have any AC status because I flew WS and credited to AA instead.

Will definitely be crediting to WS from now on though!
T&Cs clearly state "Canadian" FF program.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
For those considering status matching to WS,
(1) what do you see WS providing that AC does not? More appropriately, how is WS better for you than AC?
(2) for those that think WS should enter a global alliance, how does doing a status Match now increase the chance of WS moving to an alliance? More specifically, now that you are switching what incentive does WS have to continue to enhance there program by entering an alliance.
(3) does lack of outbound codeshare affect you at all?

If lots of people status match, what incentive does WS have to improve the rewards program?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:33 pm

Thought of something else: priority check in should be something WS considers offering their golds and plus flyers. Although, unlike AC,
WS properly staffs their check in desks, so there's rarely a line up from what I've seen.
If possible, it is always better to use the Passbook or emailed electronic eBP if you haven't any baggage to check, avoiding the check-in area altogether.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Here is what I would like to see WS improve before I consider a status match.

(1) flex fares have complementary standard seat selection.
(2) WS enters into more outbound codeshare arrangements.
(3) hot meals onboard. Even if a buy on board option.
(4) if not entering into a global alliance, then take AS Approach and have reciprocal benefit in a few airlines that include status miles earning on WS.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WR Cage

(4) if not entering into a global alliance, then take AS Approach and have reciprocal benefit in a few airlines that include status miles earning on WS.
#3. +1 million.

Us Altituders certainly have kicked new life into this board!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by WR Cage

Some of the ideas in this thread including these 4 sound interesting, but they don't necessarily sound 'Westjet' (though maybe numbers 2 and 4 may make sense).

I get the sense from some of these posts that people want a 'real' competitor to AC with all of the perks that we have become used to on other airlines as frequent fliers. I am just not sure that it fits Westjet's philosophy/strategy. While they are surely keen to attract more frequent fliers, including a special 'business traveller' section of their website and the current cheeky status match, it seems risky to depart from a philosophy of customer service which clearly works well for them and their customers. For example, it was mentioned up-thread, but priority desks for example (which I have enjoyed for years and will hate to lose) just don't seem to fit in with this philosophy.

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Some of the ideas in this thread including these 4 sound interesting, but they don't necessarily sound 'Westjet' (though maybe numbers 2 and 4 may make sense).

I get the sense from some of these posts that people want a 'real' competitor to AC with all of the perks that we have become used to on other airlines as frequent fliers. I am just not sure that it fits Westjet's philosophy/strategy. While they are surely keen to attract more frequent fliers, including a special 'business traveller' section of their website and the current cheeky status match, it seems risky to depart from a philosophy of customer service which clearly works well for them and their customers. For example, it was mentioned up-thread, but priority desks for example (which I have enjoyed for years and will hate to lose) just don't seem to fit in with this philosophy.

Dr. PITUK
I'll concede with you there, although we can certainly try :-)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by painintheuk

Dr. PITUK
Please. Let's not wreck WJ by trying to turn it into another AC.WJ's new status tiers are sustainable. They will actually be able to deliver what you are expecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.