Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet's First Trans-Atlantic Service & Summer 2014 Schedules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet's First Trans-Atlantic Service & Summer 2014 Schedules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am sure the pax will be very well behaved
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:27 pm

Thanks to YYCspotter on SSP. WestJet could have at least announced the routes going from seasonal to year-round...

Routes going year round:
YQR-LAS (2 weekly)
YXE-LAS (2 weekly)
YYJ-LAS (2 weekly)
YEG-PHX (3 weekly)
YVR-PSP (2 weekly)

Increased frequency:
YUL-CUN: increases from 2 to 3 weekly
YYZ-CUN: increases from 8 to 10 weekly
YYZ-FLL: increases from 7 to 8 weekly
YEG-LAS: increases from 10 to 14 weekly
YYC-LAS: increases from 14 to 20 weekly
YVR-LAX: increases from 14 to 19 weekly
YYZ-MBJ: increases from 10 to 11 weekly
YYZ-POP: increases from 2 to 3 weekly
YYZ-PUJ: increases from 4 to 5 weekly
YYZ-SNU: increases from 1 to 2 weekly
YYZ-VRA: increases from 3 to 4 weekly
YEG-YLW: increases from 28 to 35 weekly (WS, Encore mix)
YEG-YMM: increases from 15 to 21 weekly (WS, Encore mix)
YYC-YMM: increases from 13 to 19 weekly (WS, Encore mix)
YOW-YWG: increases from 7 to 14 weekly
YYC-YQR: increases from 28 to 35 weekly (WS, Encore mix)
YWG-YQT: increases from 7 to 14 weekly (Encore)
YYZ-YQT: increases from 14 to 28 weekly (Encore)
YVR-YXJ: increases from 7 to 14 weekly (Encore)
YYC-YYJ: increases from 28 to 35 weekly

Routes going from year-round to seasonal:
YYZ-MIA
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:57 pm

So there is not a single addition to anything East of YUL. And YUL gets a single extra flight a week, to CUN.

A couple of months ago, I posted a rant here about the lack of WS love for the East Coast. Hardly any sales. I was told that they don't have to drop the price, because the planes from/to the East Coast are all full. OK. But if these planes are full, and extra capacity is available, why not add capacity on the East Coast?

Is it really more profitable to add extra daily flights to something like YOW-YWG?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:12 am

I am really happy that YEG got some love.

As for the comment about YMM-LAS; YMM PAXs are always very well behaved, the only airport where there are more elites then non status flyers on most AC flights. LAS tourists heading to YMM... that I cannot comment :-).
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
So there is not a single addition to anything East of YUL. And YUL gets a single extra flight a week, to CUN.

A couple of months ago, I posted a rant here about the lack of WS love for the East Coast. Hardly any sales. I was told that they don't have to drop the price, because the planes from/to the East Coast are all full. OK. But if these planes are full, and extra capacity is available, why not add capacity on the East Coast?

Is it really more profitable to add extra daily flights to something like YOW-YWG?
I believe AC (Air Montreal/Toronto) serve that region fairly well, don't they?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by CZBB
I believe AC (Air Montreal/Toronto) serve that region fairly well, don't they?
???
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:24 pm

You'll see growth in Eastern Canada as Encore grows in 2015.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:25 pm

I'm sure the answer to a question like this is "it depends." It is entirely possible that other routes would be more profitable, but adding those routes would require the aircraft to serve less profitable routes before and/or after the "more profitable" route.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
You'll see growth in Eastern Canada as Encore grows in 2015.
Rather late. For example, railway service to Atlantic Canada will likely shut down this Summer. :-(
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:50 pm

If I were running an airline I'd be adding routes to the parts of the country that are actually growing...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:45 pm

Rather late. For example, railway service to Atlantic Canada will likely shut down this Summer. :-(
Presumably, Via will just reroute their trains through Edmunston if the rail line through northern New Brunswick is shut down.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Presumably, Via will just reroute their trains through Edmunston if the rail line through northern New Brunswick is shut down.
To which railway stations?

The government put the little remaining service on the chopping block when they cut it from 6 to 3 trains a week. That is too little for many usage scenarios, so ridership has to go down.

The track closure would be a welcome excuse to end the pain.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I'm sure the answer to a question like this is "it depends." It is entirely possible that other routes would be more profitable, but adding those routes would require the aircraft to serve less profitable routes before and/or after the "more profitable" route.
Good point.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
If I were running an airline I'd be adding routes to the parts of the country that are actually growing...
Exactly: Halifax, Moncton, Quebec City, Saint John's, Montreal - all growing in the 2011 census vs. 2006.

The only CMA's that were not growing are found in Ontario, like Thunder Bay.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Whether a city is "growing" is one thing. Whether its population actually purchases air travel is quite another.

YMH serves a huge population in southern Ontario .... but few of them seem to fly, which is why there aren't that many flights any more (it was once WestJet's eastern hub).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.