Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WS adds Dallas, Myrtle Beach, Nanaimo, Fort St John

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS adds Dallas, Myrtle Beach, Nanaimo, Fort St John

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33

Airline industry race to the bottom continues!

Now that we know Economy - is onboard the Q400s does that mean Encore will also be introducing Economy +? I'm not sure if there's space to do that with 78 seats.

We also know that Encore won't be serving YTZ any time soon. No more than 70 seats can fly in and out of that airport (I guess they could probably just not sell 8 tickets but wouldn't that be a major waste of space?).
That'll most likely never happen, the aircraft can not have more than 70 seats. Skyregional Q400s also have 70 seats due to the weight restrictions at YTZ.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
Or how about WS lobbies the Edmonton/Alberta governments to keep YXD open (the closure of which is a travesty) and allow Q400 service, launch Encore service YXD-YYC with 10x+ weekday frequency both ways (with all night flights out of YEG for noise abatement) and operate it like Rapidair or US Shuttle? WS is a very strong brand in Alberta and if they executed it right they could crush AC and Red Arrow on this route. Build it for the oil commuters and fill the remainder of the seats with connecting traffic.

I know YXD doesn't have the infrastructure right now, but I'm sure something could be arranged with the Aerocentre or Avitat...
What Santander said.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
YXD will cease to exist soon so that option will never happen. The AB Gov is moving its ops to YEG as is Alberta Health Services. City council is solidly behind their decision to close the muni and court challenges are dead. Say goodbye to YXD. In retrospect one of the best moves the city made. We would still be at 2 x msp and slc otherwise.

On AA pulling out of YYC, it could happen but it has not on YYZ-LGA, although that is Eagle and a much shorter flight.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Really? YYC-DFW? There's already 2 dailies on that route. How about something a little more innovative like YEG-DFW?
Not sure what your point is. UA has 3 flights to IAH from YYC so why would supplementing the DFW route with an extra flight be such a shocker. They would be able to codeshare with AA and have connection opportunities out of DFW.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:52 pm

^ Exactly, WestJet is smart in doing this IMO, It gives people more options to a great hub.

Wouldn't be surprised to see AA or WS move into the YEG market from DFW this fall either, its been a long time coming. Much like IAH just needed the right market mix. I think these western Canada routes are prime for DFW, AA/WS, and OneWorld connections now.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyB
Wouldn't be surprised to see AA or WS move into the YEG market from DFW this fall either, its been a long time coming. Much like IAH just needed the right market mix. I think these western Canada routes are prime for DFW, AA/WS, and OneWorld connections now.
Connections to where? UA/AC's IAH flights are understandable because of the high O&D traffic. In order to sustain YEG-DFW you'd have to have people willing to connect in DFW to another destination in the US (and again... where would those people go? Florida is a pretty sh!t destination as far as yield is concerned) or people flying YEG-LatAm. People who regularly fly YYC/YEG-LatAm are almost non-existent and you'd have a hell of a time trying to regularly fill planes with them. I can maybe see WS launch YEG-DFW or YEG-ORD (more likely), but not AA.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Connections to where? UA/AC's IAH flights are understandable because of the high O&D traffic. In order to sustain YEG-DFW you'd have to have people willing to connect in DFW to another destination in the US (and again... where would those people go? Florida is a pretty sh!t destination as far as yield is concerned) or people flying YEG-LatAm. People who regularly fly YYC/YEG-LatAm are almost non-existent and you'd have a hell of a time trying to regularly fill planes with them. I can maybe see WS launch YEG-DFW or YEG-ORD (more likely), but not AA.
United's YEG-IAH is up to three dailies on some days. I don't see how AA doing YEG-DFW is a stretch.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
United's YEG-IAH is up to three dailies on some days. I don't see how AA doing YEG-DFW is a stretch.
IAH is an oil town. Naturally, they can sustain high O&D traffic Alberta-IAH. There is certainly energy stuff going on in DFW but it also has a lot of communications and banking stuff going on too and is far less of an oil town than IAH. I can't see that much O&D traffic YYC/YEG-DFW, and even less high-yield O&D traffic. Where would you connect to in DFW from Alberta? I can only see low-yield leisure flights to Florida and the Caribbean, which is a perfect market for WS to feed AA with.

If AA is indeed pulling out of DFW-YYC, you can bet they're not going to start DFW-YEG.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
IAH is an oil town. Naturally, they can sustain high O&D traffic Alberta-IAH. There is certainly energy stuff going on in DFW but it also has a lot of communications and banking stuff going on too and is far less of an oil town than IAH. I can't see that much O&D traffic YYC/YEG-DFW, and even less high-yield O&D traffic. Where would you connect to in DFW from Alberta? I can only see low-yield leisure flights to Florida and the Caribbean, which is a perfect market for WS to feed AA with.

If AA is indeed pulling out of DFW-YYC, you can bet they're not going to start DFW-YEG.
South America?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
South America?
That was the point. How much YEG-LatAm traffic is there? I'd say very little, and almost non-existent (from a broader perspective) high-yield YEG-LatAm traffic. AA can make more money elsewhere.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
That was the point. How much YEG-LatAm traffic is there? I'd say very little, and almost non-existent (from a broader perspective) high-yield YEG-LatAm traffic. AA can make more money elsewhere.
Fares there aren't the cheapest.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:21 pm

There is a lot of business between YEG and DFW, and in the oil patch there is a lot of passenger traffic driven between YEG and South America. Right now it is hard to get good connections in to South America from up in YEG.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
County votes whether or not to pay WestJet if business goes down

Interesting...

"Tuesday night Horry County leaders will vote on a resolution whether or not to pass an incentives package that would give WestJet Airlines up to $1 million if it went below a 15% profit margin in the first six months of conducting service at Myrtle Beach International Airport."

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/212375...ness-goes-down

Ron.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newfbc
Interesting...

"Tuesday night Horry County leaders will vote on a resolution whether or not to pass an incentives package that would give WestJet Airlines up to $1 million if it went below a 15% profit margin in the first six months of conducting service at Myrtle Beach International Airport."

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/212375...ness-goes-down

Ron.
15%?
It's an airline-I doubt that they can even attract 5%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.