Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WS adds Dallas, Myrtle Beach, Nanaimo, Fort St John

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS adds Dallas, Myrtle Beach, Nanaimo, Fort St John

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Really? YYC-DFW? There's already 2 dailies on that route. How about something a little more innovative like YEG-DFW?
Even better would be YYC-IAH rather than DFW. Lots of demand on that route for oil traffic and AC/UA prices are crazy. Many times I can fly YYC-LHR for less.

Picking random dates next week, YYC-LHR on AC in economy: $1226 ( nonstop)
YYC-IAH on AC nonstop in economy: $2693.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by YEG Guy
This schedule for certain does not give AC a run for their money.

Lets look by schedule implementation date:
YYC-YXJ/YCD; No current AC service. No yield impact to AC.
YVR-YXJ: Current AC service so this is one small market where WS has new opportunities to compete.
YVR-YYJ, first flight into YVR and last flight out to YYJ does not compare well to AC 12+ daily flights.
YYC-YQR/YXE; all ready has westjet price affected. Also WS is the dominant airline on this route so any price cutting will only cannabalize WS yield much more than AC.
YYC-YQU: Again thus route is all ready served by WS with existing service through YEG. Again WS will not undercut their own yield.
YYC-YEG: is the only route where WS could be seen as putting the boots to AC. However this is also the route where WS is decreasing the most seats as 4/9 flts get downguaged to the Q400. Unitl WS gets to 12 daily flts or better on this route I do not expect any price relief.
I think entering any market that has previously been AC dominated or been stuck with an AC monopoly will have an impact. Personally, the increased YEG-YYC frequency is huge, and makes a difference, in my view.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Even better would be YYC-IAH rather than DFW. Lots of demand on that route for oil traffic and AC/UA prices are crazy. Many times I can fly YYC-LHR for less.
One problem with WS trying to compete with AC/UA on YYC-IAH is that of all the YYC TB routes, YYC-IAH is probably the one with the most American traffic. WS could potentially snap up some Canadian traffic with low fares but WS has virtually no brand recognition in the US. I can't see much loyal UA traffic out of Texas switching to fly a Canadian LCC they've never heard of. The high O&D traffic suits WS but they can't fill 2+ 737s a day with Canadians alone.

YYC-DFW is easier for WS because they can feed AA's network like they're doing at ORD and LAX. (although I'm not quite sure where most YYC-DFW people are going... perhaps Florida) Why take risks on a hostile route when there is easy money to be made right next door? I think this pretty much signals the beginning of the end of AA in western Canada. Shame because when US/AA merge, I'll likely still be stuck with PHX-YYC as the only way into YYC, pushing me back to UA or DL. (already getting sick of flying PHL-PHX-YYC)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by nave888
I think entering any market that has previously been AC dominated or been stuck with an AC monopoly will have an impact. Personally, the increased YEG-YYC frequency is huge, and makes a difference, in my view.
WS had 8 YYC-YEG frequencies in the prior year vs 9 for the current schedule. but prior year all 8 freq were 73G. This new Encore schedule actually pulls 100 seats out of the market.

But perhaps I am missing something in the YYC-YEG analysis.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Jagboi

Picking random dates next week, YYC-LHR on AC in economy: $1226 ( nonstop)
YYC-IAH on AC nonstop in economy: $2693.
Demand might be there, but the moment WS goes onto YYC-IAH for a full IATA schedule season, AC and UA can get the competition tribunal's carve out provisions dropped for the route and begtin schedule and price coordination. For this reason, WS si unlikely tpo ever take up the route.

Also the route is premium priced because a lot of the UA traffic to IAH makes full utilization of UA's largest operation as a connection to other USA, Carribean, and Lantin America destinations. The front cabin revenue is huge for YYC-IAH-LATAM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:15 pm

Really? YYC-DFW? There's already 2 dailies on that route. How about something a little more innovative like YEG-DFW?

EIAA not very happy with this as they were hoping for DFW.

Smart YEG flyers would not patronize any airline that connects ex-YYC including WestJet. It has been over 8 years since I took a connecting flight ex-YYC.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by HangTen
YVR-YYJ – Having an early morning YYJ-YVR allows WJ the ability to start selling YYJ to all the YVR transborder and international destinations that depart YVR after about 9:30am.
In the long term it could also lead to withdrawing the WS flights to YEG and YLW around 8.30am. I don't know what current loads are like on these.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:38 am

The PR said an additional weekly YYZSXM.

Anyone have news on this? Which day of week? When does it start?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
WS takes on DFW -- bye bye, American Airlines

Sadly, the addition of YYC-DFW is almost certainly the end of AA's presence in Calgary. This is obviously done in cahoots with AA, just like last year's flip of ORD-YYC flights from AA to WS. I'd expect a pull-out announcement from American soon.

Too bad -- I miss the days of flying AA (back when they were aligned with Canadian, before WS put the final nails in CP's coffin). And it's going to be a blow to the Calgary Airport Authority if it happens. First Lufthansa pulls out of Calgary, now American?! Bit of a black eye for the YYC folks.

WS will just end up being a feeder carrier into American's ORD and DFW hubs. My hunch is that's going to annoy a lot of business travelers, as that means no AA or OneWorld customer benefits, no status points accumulation and no status earning.

(Face it. WestJet's basic attempts at a frequent flyer program really don't get anyone all that excited, and are going to be a big turn-off for frequent, international biz travelers. No status levels and no global alliance - and none of the related benefits - mean it's really just a hokey ma-and-pa points scheme that won't appeal to frequent, high yield pax.)

And, as a business, does being a feeder into another carrier's hubs really appeal in terms of revenue and growth? I think I'd rather have somebody feeding their passengers to my airline and my hubs rather than vice versa.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:06 am

There is more:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...n-in-may-2013/
(Including Toronto- Fort McMurray, though that's not Caribbean)

On top of those, Calgary-Los Angeles will be increased to 14x/week.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
There is more:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...n-in-may-2013/
(Including Toronto- Fort McMurray, though that's not Caribbean)

On top of those, Calgary-Los Angeles will be increased to 14x/week.
The report from Routesonline receive the feed from Airline Route, which the report (link below) didn't include YYZ - YMM originally, and missed the daily email delivery deadline. Therefore have to specifically mention that in the Caribbean report.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/02/11/ws-s13/
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:01 am

Good move to introduce non stop between YMM-YYZ but icing on the cake would be non stop between YMM-YYT!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy
non stop between YMM-YYT!
They could probably sustain the route with an all Y config, too! (although aircraft could be better utilised on other routes)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG HH IHG Wyndham
Wait for it....
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:56 am

Or how about WS lobbies the Edmonton/Alberta governments to keep YXD open (the closure of which is a travesty) and allow Q400 service, launch Encore service YXD-YYC with 10x+ weekday frequency both ways (with all night flights out of YEG for noise abatement) and operate it like Rapidair or US Shuttle? WS is a very strong brand in Alberta and if they executed it right they could crush AC and Red Arrow on this route. Build it for the oil commuters and fill the remainder of the seats with connecting traffic.

I know YXD doesn't have the infrastructure right now, but I'm sure something could be arranged with the Aerocentre or Avitat...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.