Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini-Report...Public Transit from PHX to my House

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Mini-Report...Public Transit from PHX to my House

Yesterday I arrived back into PHX at 2 PM and as everyone I knew was at work, I decided to sample public transit to get home.

Overview: I live in North Tempe approximently 5 miles from PHX. PHX is served by the new Phoenix Valley Metro Light Rail. However, the stop is really on 44th Street and Washington and is about a mile from Terminal 4 and 2.5 from Terminal 2 where I arrived.

To Light Rail: I waited on the hot (104 F) Terminal 2 curb for fifteen minutes for the Light Rail Bus to arrive. Once the bus arrived we made the usual two stops and then drove up to the light rail station. The places the bus parked is accessed by the bus making a left onto Washington St. then a left into the parking lot. While waiting for the light to change to allow us access to the lot, a light rail train in each direction went by.

Light Rail: The stop is in the middle of Washington St. and is appoximently a 500 foot walk from where the bus drops you off. You have to wait for a walk light to cross to the station. I waited ten minutes at the poorly shaded station. No annoucements were made about eastbound trains but westbound trains were annouced.

When the train arrived it was only one car and was tightly packed and standing room only. There was no where for baggage. The journey was relatively smooth though we did have to stop for traffic lights. I wish PHX would make some stations by request only, especially at night on this run.

Bus: I got off at the Tempe Transit Center where, suprise suprise, little shade was to be had. The 72 bus was seven minutes late arriving and again has no room for luggage.

Journey Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes. Cost: $3.50.

Verdict: I don't think I'll be doing this again, it was uncomfortable, slow and irritating for me. Maybe if I lived closer to a light rail station or you could park overnight at them.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Hooray!

Transfering millions of dollars from the taxpayers to the construction companies via the County and City government to produce a train that doesn't stop at the airport and requires more than an hour to go five miles was a tremendous success.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Funny, I took an express bus + light rail, all the way from Chandler to my office, in less time than your experience. I rode a bike from home to the express bus terminal (about 1-1/2 miles), then again from the rail stop to my office (about 1/2 mile). At the time (late Jan), it was only $3.50 for that. From home to office, including biking, waiting, and travel the whole thing took just over an hour to go about 20 miles.

I think the rail is more suited for people commuting to/from work, and not so much for tourists, or to get to/from PHX. I believe there was (and maybe still is) a city bus that goes through the airport and follows University or Broadway to the East?

FYI, my office is about 2 miles from PHX, and if you or anyone else ever needs a ride, just let me know.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:59 pm

I'm heading down to Phoenix for the first time in october to look at some inventment properties and enjoy the U2 concert. Looked into public transportation and realized how bad it sucked, especially after 11p.m. on a weeknight. Realized I should rent a car.

Funny how timely your post was!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ranman1973
I'm heading down to Phoenix for the first time in october to look at some inventment properties and enjoy the U2 concert. Looked into public transportation and realized how bad it sucked, especially after 11p.m. on a weeknight. Realized I should rent a car.

Funny how timely your post was!
Glad I could help! I hope you have an enjoyable trip down here, the weather should be nice then. If you have any Phoenix related questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to help some more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.