Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

any info on air service to SAF (Santa Fe, NM)??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Does anyone on here happen to know what the current status is of scheduled air service into Santa Fe Municipal Airport? They used to have thrice daily service on Great Lakes Airlines (a United Mileage Plus partner) using Beechcraft 1900. Almost a year ago, the airport was upgraded to Class I, and both American and Delta had planned scheduled regional jet service. In anticipation, Great Lakes withdrew their service into SAF. Then American and Delta cancelled the services (even though the Delta one, I happen to notice, was already listed in their timetable). Currently SAF is airline-less. What is going on?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
I haven't heard anything about these services being cancelled, but on hold for FAA environmental impact investigation. True, AA and DL may decide this isn't worthwhile after all the waiting, citing the huge increase in the price of oil since they originally announced their plans to serve SAF. But as far as I've heard, they are still on to start eventually.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
With ABQ about 50 miles away, I'm guessing that most would prefer flying into there and driving. When I made trips there in the early part of the decade, that was my typical journey.

You're right though - currently SAF has zero commercial air service, which seems odd for a city that size. Here's info from the airport's website:

New Mexico Airlines has suspended Santa Fe service for an indefinite period.

American Eagle and Delta will begin service in and out of Santa Fe in late spring or early summer 2008, pending federal approval of an Environmental Assessment.

Great Lakes Aviation made a business decision to no longer provide service between Santa Fe and Denver. The City is currently in discussions with other airlines about providing Denver service.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Apr 23, 2008 at 9:14 am
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
With ABQ about 50 miles away, I'm guessing that most would prefer flying into there and driving. When I made trips there in the early part of the decade, that was my typical journey.

You're right though - currently SAF has zero commercial air service, which seems odd for a city that size. Here's info from the airport's website:
I second Brian's comments about driving. It will actually take longer to fly than pick up a rental car and drive.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
"New Mexico Airlines has suspended Santa Fe service for an indefinite period.

American Eagle and Delta will begin service in and out of Santa Fe in late spring or early summer 2008, pending federal approval of an Environmental Assessment.

Great Lakes Aviation made a business decision to no longer provide service between Santa Fe and Denver. The City is currently in discussions with other airlines about providing Denver service."

http://www.santafenm.gov/index.asp?NID=177

Last edited by JerryFF; Apr 29, 2008 at 9:58 am
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
I second Brian's comments about driving. It will actually take longer to fly than pick up a rental car and drive.

That may be true if you're talking about the little puddle-jumper flights to/from ABQ.

But the DL and AA service would have been to their hubs. So if you have the choice of flying from XXX-hub-SAF as opposed to flying XXX-hub-ABQ, then obviously it's quicker to fly to SAF.

If you have a flight directly from XXX-ABQ that would otherwise require a connection to get to SAF, then it might be quicker to fly into ABQ. But that's the kind of choice that exists in lots of places. You just have to factor in a variety of things including airfares, traffic conditions, cost of rental car, etc.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
That may be true if you're talking about the little puddle-jumper flights to/from ABQ.

But the DL and AA service would have been to their hubs. So if you have the choice of flying from XXX-hub-SAF as opposed to flying XXX-hub-ABQ, then obviously it's quicker to fly to SAF.

If you have a flight directly from XXX-ABQ that would otherwise require a connection to get to SAF, then it might be quicker to fly into ABQ. But that's the kind of choice that exists in lots of places. You just have to factor in a variety of things including airfares, traffic conditions, cost of rental car, etc.
Exactly. If this service ever starts, I'd be flying XXX-SLC-SAF to get 60 miles closer to my destination in northern NM than XXX-SLC/ATL-ABQ currently gets me.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
I am actually living in Santa Fe. I just don't use flyertalk enough to warrant keeping my profile updated.

I prefer SAF, because it is about a 10 minute drive from my house, and I can park my car about 25 yards from the terminal, for FREE. (ABQ is on the south side of Albuquerque and, during rush hour, the trek down I25 can easily take over an hour and a half.) I suppose, though, that if American and Delta BOTH commence regional jet service, free parking at SAF might become a thing of the past...
Old May 5, 2008, 10:53 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, BA,
Hi
As of today I heard that American and Delta are saying June now! It has to do with the Prarie dog protests it will cost the city $100 per animal to relocate them. (oh please) Once the train is finished it will be a great solution to transport from Albuquerque. Lets just not hope that happens before the flights into Santa Fe!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:08 am

No SAF

Commercial airlines are struggling for survival in 2008. Sante Fe lost it's chance when AA & DL were strung along to believe that they would be up and running after just a little bit more paperwork. They have too many smaller cities eager for their product but now it's cut back time and nobody is going to get new service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.