Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Starbucks, Tully's or Peet's: Which one is better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2003, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle

Which "chain" is best? Now this isn't about blind loyalty. I have been to Starbucks and Tully's but not Peet's. I will try Peet's when I am near one but I prefer Tully's over Starbucks. Tully's standard is 3 shots in a Venti (20oz) cup while Starbucks is 2 shots. Therefore, my cup of Joe is 55 to 60 cents more at Starbucks. Flavor is very similar.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 5:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't drink coffee, but my wife's vote (I know as I hear it over and over) is for Starbuck's.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:24 am

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
My venti iced americano at starbucks has 4 shots, sounds like you're getting short shotted at your Starbucks.

For me, Starbucks and Tullys are completely interchangable, I think their coffee tastes exactly the same and I tend to go to whichever one is closest. If the two are equally close, I'd go to Starbucks because their venti is bigger than tullys and (for me at least) its one extra shot.

I'll go out of my way for Peet's espresso, but not for their drip coffee. I usually order iced espresso at Peets and almost always they don't put enough ice in and I have to have them remake it or put in more ice. Nothing worse than luke warm watered down espresso! When its good, its very good and that keeps me coming back (or did, before I moved away from the bay area).
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by carlhaynes:
My venti iced americano at starbucks has 4 shots, sounds like you're getting short shotted at your Starbucks.

</font>
I order hot coffee so the Starbucks standard is 2 shots for the Venti hot, same as Grande hot. Venti Iced drinks have 3 shots as a standard. The Venti Iced cups are a little larger which is why the addition of a 3rd shot.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobotDoctor:
Starbucks, Tully's or Peet's: Which one is better? </font>
Peaberry
Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:56 pm

For reliability and quantity of stores, Starbucks will always do a decent job on both espresso and coffee. Avoid the pushbutton machines if at all possible.

For great espresso, definitely go to Peet's if you can, or Torrefazione. Tully's has good espresso (not great), and coffee that should be avoided. If you're near a Seattle's Best Coffee, their coffee is good but their espresso should be avoided.

(Unfortunately SBC and Torrefazione have been bought by Starbucks. Argh!)

While I'm on a coffee rant, let me highly recommend Illy's espresso anywhere you can find it.
---Mark (former Seattlite)
Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:41 am
Original Member

Tully's head and shoulders over Starbucks.

Haven't tried Peet's.

QL
Old Jul 22, 2003, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Oh QuietLion you disappoint me!

My order, from best to worst:
Deidrichs
Peete's
Starbucks
Tully's (I find it just horrible)

- Dan
Old Jul 24, 2003, 5:20 pm

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
Peets is celebrating the opening of their Fremont store in Seattle this weekend.

http://www.peets.com/promo/seattle.asp

On July 26 & 27, we will be celebrating the grand opening of our Seattle Store with a Neighborhood Party (the ultimate "Peet's Block Party!") This extra special event will feature Peetniks who will discuss what they do and what makes Peet's so different. There will also be free brewed coffee & tea, special prizes, and a free 1/2 lb. offer with select purchase. Details are below.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:21 am

Starbucks -- or "Charbucks," as its critics like to call it -- serves really horrible and overpriced coffee drinks, IMO. I am a bit of a coffee geek, so I'm probably more discerning than the average consumer, but nonetheless I find the quality in beans and technique lacking, especially when you're talking espresso or coffee made with a french press.

Simply put, Starbucks really has become the McDonald's of the coffee world.

No experience with Tully's, but Peets is by far bettter in overall quality, employee training and general customer service. Peets is a chain, but it's simply a smaller company that can buy and roast beans in smaller, more selective quantities. Peets also seems to just care more about the coffee, and less so abouut the pseuudo coffee drinks (Frappucino in a can) or accessories sales.

Visit Peets and decide for yourself.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Torrefazione
(tie) Peet's and Tully's
Starbux isn't even on my radar. They SUCK.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 3:28 pm

(!) Coffee Bean (!)

Moved up to Seattle from L.A. thinking my coffee appreciation days had only just begun. Sadly, nobody does coffee better than The Coffee Bean.

Although the Caffe Lladro makes a nice frothy latte for my money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.