Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Canyon tour from Scottsdale advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2002, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Grand Canyon tour from Scottsdale advice needed

I'm going to a wedding in Scottsdale later this year, and I am interested in taking a day trip to the Grand Canyon the day after the wedding. I'll be by myself and only have one free day, so I think an organized tour is my best bet. I have found various sites for tour companies online, but no reviews. I wondered if anyone had any specific recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2002, 12:29 am

I suspect that most tour companies will give you similar service. Hopefully you'll get some notes here mentioning any especially good or bad experiences to learn from.

As a local, I'd encourage you to rent a car and drive up for the night, if you're up for it. Perhaps you could drive up one evening, then use your free day to explore and drive back. It's about 3 hours each way from Phoenix, and could even be done in one long, hard day. You could then explore the Canyon rim at your leisure, and make side trips to interesting places en-route like Sedona, Montezuma's Castle & Well (native american ruins), Arcosanti, Jerome, Flagstaff, etc. You would be out the cost of the car, gas, hotel, and park entrance fee ($10.00, I think). There is lodging in the park as well as outside the park gate, and I'd advise reservations in the summer.

Let me know if you have other questions about our region!

JP

[This message has been edited by j379pa (edited 04-07-2002).]
Old Apr 7, 2002, 7:33 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by j379pa:
As a local, I'd encourage you to rent a car and drive up for the night, if you're up for it. Perhaps you could drive up one evening, then use your free day to explore and drive back. It's about 3 hours each way from Phoenix, and could even be done in one long, hard day.</font>
I as a non-local, but frequent visitor (4 one day trips from phoenix), second j379pa's suggestion, forget the tour company.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 11:36 pm

Thought a bit more about your request, and have to say there would be a couple of advantages of a tour, especially if you're someone who is unsure/uncomfortable driving alone in a new area.

I could see an advantage if you're short on sleep from time change (now 3 hours) and wedding parties. Letting the bus do the driving can allow you to do a long day in a pretty safe manner.

I'd still do the car rental thing if it were me. The park does offer some shuttle busses in the summer so you don't have do drive every minute you're there. And, if you look at the map, you can easily see the route that follows the rim of the canyon for maybe 40 or 50 miles that has overlooks on every corner.

I took a friend from Estonia there last August and he was truly astounded and nearly speechless at his first view. Made me kind of proud

JP
Old Apr 8, 2002, 6:26 am

j379pa hit it in the nose. If it's during the hot summer, I recommend staying in Flagstaff.Get a good guidebook and follow that route. You'll get the most for a short trip.
Old Apr 8, 2002, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I will pick up an area guidebook and read up on driving up myself--
It probably would be ideal.

I was thinking about the tour because of my limited time, and also because I will be by myself.
I have done a lot of traveling in the US and overseas alone, but primarily in big cities.
For some reason, driving around the Grand Canyon alone seems a lot more intimidating than
negotiating the Tokyo subway! I suspect this is because I live in NYC
I also thought it would be nice to have some fellow travelers to share the experience with.

Also, I'm not going until November, so I have plenty of time to figure it out. I am planning to buy my ticket soon so I just wanted to ensure
I am allowing enough days (Delta.com has a $159 fare from LGA).

Thanks again,
Lisa

[This message has been edited by Endor (edited 04-08-2002).]
Old Apr 8, 2002, 7:46 pm

Hi Endor,

I think you'll find driving the Grand Canyon area _much_ less intimidating than Tokyo subways (though I've never been to Tokyo!). Understand that the road follows the rim and is pretty level, and never actually goes in the Canyon.

See if you can get an off-airport rental car--this will save you some money. Your hotel may have some on site, or some companies may deliver it to you and pick it up.

Realize, too, that the Grand Canyon is at around 7,000 foot elevation, so the weather up there may more resemble New York in November than Phoenix. Bring a coat!

Unless you're up there on a weekend, you'll have a lot less traffic in November and can enjoy it that much more!

JP

[This message has been edited by j379pa (edited 04-08-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.