Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Phoenix when you're..

Old Jul 11, 01, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Going to be in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area the first weekend in August. Any suggestions for things to do to kill time?

Also, can stay at the Pointe Tapatio Cliffs or the Wyndham Boulders - Any preferences? I'm HH Gold - any special treatment for tiered members?

thanks..
Old Jul 11, 01, 10:59 pm

Tapatio Cliffs is more central in the city and will have some nice views, but still enjoys a level of isolation. The Boulders is north of Scottsdale on the edge of Carefree, and is at a higher elevation and so will be _slightly_ cooler. It also strikes me as more exclusive, and isolates you more from the outside world. You'll also have to drive further to get to outside things, if that's what you want to do. Either would be a great place to stay.

There's loads of stuff to do here, all depending on what your likes are. Loads of good restaurants, golf (cheaper in summer, but start early to avoid the heat), shopping, hiking at higher elevations. If the Diamondbacks are in town, you can usually get tickets to a game at Bank One Ballpark. Alice's Cooperstown is a great place to eat if you go down there. Also downtown are occasional Pops concerts, directed by Doc Severinson, who is entertaining even without the orchestra. Also a fair amount of theater around. I like "Late Night Catechism" which is currently in a long run at the Scottsdale center for the arts. Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West is on the eastern edge of Scottsdale and is well worth a visit. If you're into cool cars, go to the corner of Scottsdale Rd & McDowell and head east. Dealers include Land Rover, Aston Martin, Lotus, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, etc. The Humvee dealer is further north on Scottsdale, as is the Barrett-Jackson auto auction. If you stay at one of the resorts, you might be content hanging out at the pool all weekend, with occasional visits to the spa.

Sedona is two hours to the north, and is well worth a day's visit. It will be cooler there, to boot, but will be busy on weekend days. Drive 89A over Mingus Mountain, and spend some time in Jerome, an old semi-restored mining town clinging to the cliffside.

Nogales is maybe 3 hours south and can give a nice change of pace, even if it is a border town. You can park on the US side and walk in, avoiding worries about car insurance when you cross. The San Xavier del Bac cathedral just south of Tucson is a nice example of an old spanish mission that is on the way. Friends did Organ Pipe National Monument last year and liked it a lot, but I've not been there yet.

You might try a local bookstore to see if you can get a Sunday copy of our newspaper (Arizona Republic)to see what's going on when you're here. You can also log onto www.azcentral.com for information.

Think outside stuff in the morning until about 11:00 AM, then inside or to the mountains the rest of the day. Bring a full water bottle for wherever you travel in the state.

There's obviously lots more to do here than you can cover even in several weeks. Let me know what your interests are, and I'll try to give more detail, etc.

JP

[This message has been edited by j379pa (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old Jul 12, 01, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

j379pa - thanks very much for your detailed reply.

I'm basically interested in scenery I can't see here (Toronto), and eating in places and food relatively unique to the area. Anything more than that is a bonus.

Based on what you've said, we'll probably stay one night at the Boulders, then drive up to Sedona, returning to either the Boulders or the Hilton the second night. Unfortunately it's only a 50 hour trip, so there isn't a ton of time, but I've never been to AZ before, so I'd like to see what I can.
Old Jul 12, 01, 11:08 pm

That sounds like a good plan.

In Sedona, there is a shopping/restaurant area called Tlaquepaque that recalls the architecture of the Mexican village by that name. It's a good place to spend an hour or two, and the mexican restuarant there is pretty good.

I've yet to do one, but Pink Jeep Tours have a good reputation for good backroads scenery trips, and scenery is Sedona's strong suit. At the least, plan to spend some time turning up back roads and driving as far as you can just to see the cool scenery.

It would be very worthwhile to drive 89A north out of Sedona on the way home (or go this route backwards on the way there). This takes you through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. A few miles out of Sedona on the left is a Dairy Queen with some native americans in the parking lot selling jewelry. I've bought several Christmas gifts from them, and have always been satisfied. In Flagstaff, you can see our 12,000 foot mountain and even ride the ski lift to the top year 'round. Or, view the mountain from a distance and head on home down I-10. The loop adds maybe an hour-hour 1/2 to your day and is well worth it.

Once back at the Boulders, drive a few miles over to Cave Creek. It's got a lot of funky shops and restaurants. A very good Mexican restaurant is there on the north side of the road, but I can't recall the name. It has high, white stucco walls that you park outside of. They have a very nice outdoor eating area.

I've been Toronto several times and like it a lot! I hope your visit to Arizona is as enjoyable.
Old Jul 15, 01, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
It will be very hot here so be prepared. Bring Lots of sunscreen.

The Pointe is one of favorite hotels - neat pools and spa- you should get upgraded as a gold. do a search in the Hilton thread for lots of reviews on it. They are running a special now for 79USD a nite. Check www.azcentral.com. If you can't findit I'll go find my Sun paper.

Might want to get your starwood match before you go to get upgraded at the Wyndam also.

If you want to hike South Mountain or Cmelback mountain do it around 6-7 am

the Pnk Jeep tours are fun - I did one
Old Jul 20, 01, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Driving from Phoenix to Tucson, you will pass on the right side of the road an Ostrich (or Emu - sorry I can't tell the difference) farm. It kind of shocks the mind to see hundreds of them in one spot. Certainly something you wouldn't normally see.

As you continue to Tucson, Saguaro National Park is also in that area. You can take a rental car slowly through the 2 mile circuit route and end up in the middle of a "cactus forest". As a New Englander, I found these to be 2 vastly different experiences.

Enjoy!

Search this Thread