Empire Builder Trip

Old Jan 15, 17, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Empire Builder Trip

I posted this message on the Amtrak board and a poster suggested I post on this thread, so here it is!

We've been looking at flying to Portland from the east coast and getting on the Empire Builder for a cross country trip.

Last time we did a trip straight through (California Zephyr to Lakeshore Limited). This time we would like to stay a night or two in various places along the Empire Builder Route.

One thing we would definitely like to see is Glacier National Park. Other that that, what are sites that are worth getting off to see for a day or two?

We have up to 13 nights for the trip.

Any suggestions welcome: natural wonders, hotels, diners, etc. Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:16 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Why do >t from Portland?? Why not from Seattle.

The stops of note on here would be whitefish then explore glacier than take it to minneapolis then Wisconsin dell's ares snd then chicago.

I have not done the train and know nothing on the rules of leaving the picking up the train, nor fo I know the coordination 9n transportation betwern the west and east glacier stops and then going to the park lodges.
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:51 am

I know the train stop on the east side is right across the street from the lodge. I've walked over the to watch the train before. They will pick you up with your luggage, but it's easily walkable if you don't have much. Then you can take a red bus tour right from the lodge. All very easy. I've seen some of the route while in the park and driving and it looks amazing. That will be a great trip.

I would definitely go through Portland if you go though the gorge. The ride through there will be fantastic.
Old Jan 18, 17, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
Why do >t from Portland?? Why not from Seattle.

The stops of note on here would be whitefish then explore glacier than take it to minneapolis then Wisconsin dell's ares snd then chicago.

I have not done the train and know nothing on the rules of leaving the picking up the train, nor fo I know the coordination 9n transportation betwern the west and east glacier stops and then going to the park lodges.
We've been to Seattle but never been to Oregon.
Old Jan 18, 17, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
I know the train stop on the east side is right across the street from the lodge. I've walked over the to watch the train before. They will pick you up with your luggage, but it's easily walkable if you don't have much. Then you can take a red bus tour right from the lodge. All very easy. I've seen some of the route while in the park and driving and it looks amazing. That will be a great trip.

I would definitely go through Portland if you go though the gorge. The ride through there will be fantastic.
Just looked up the red bus tour, that looks great! Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 17, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by shuttercookie View Post
Just looked up the red bus tour, that looks great! Thanks.
With Glacier.....

places outside the park like east Glacier Lodge where the train stops near and St Marys Lodge are operated by Glacier Park Inc. While the interior park lodges are operated by Xanterra.

There are red bus tours from each side of the park you can do.

There is a separate bus shuttle system along Going to the sun road that you can drive.

If you stop in Whitefish or West glacier you will have an easier time hooking up with a rental car. From west glacier I am fairly certain MacDonald Lodge and Apgar Lodge have shuttle service from the train depot.

the west side is far more populated. the east side is very rural. I think there is a rental car facility at or near east glacier lodge but that is it. On the west side you have local car rental places in the city area of Kalispell-Whitefish-Columbia Falls and there are rental facilities at the airport FCA.

whitefish is a nice place to visit. this town is a winter ski town.

If you want to do a visit to glacier, give yourself about 5 days. 1.5 days on the west, 3.5 days on the east. with 4 days 1.5 days for west, 2.5 days for the east

Search this Thread