Wiki Posts
Search

Colorado in November

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Colorado in November

Probably going to be there for a while for work this November and going to take the chance to explore a bit on the weekends. Just had a couple of questions about the mountains though, especially in respect of snow.

- I know no one can predict the weather but what is Denver like in November? Late fall still or deep into winter?
- What are the chances all the nice mountain passes (those within an hour or two drive of Denver) will still remain open? I see some that will be open til Thanksgiving (yay) or some that close after Labour Day (boo). I'm guessing again no one can tell, will depend on snow.
- Do rental cars out of Denver (probably renting randomly downtown) come with snow tires / chains if necessary?

Can anyone recommend a short trip or two (over the weekend, road trip preferred) out of Denver in November? Was thinking of Rocky Mountain NP but looks like Independence Pass will be closed by then.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Denver will likely be chilly, with daytime highs in the 45-55F range much of the time, but late November is definitely winter. Expect at least some snow by the end of the month, and you could definitely have much colder weather, so bring warm clothing.

There are lots of things to do fairly near Denver. Breckinridge is a fairly short drive, and is a very pleasant ski resort town worth a weekend. Rocky Mountain National Park is nice, but you'll have to judge based on weather. It could be sunny and relatively warm, or it could be socked in with snow. You could still visit Estes Park and stay at the Stanley Hotel (from The Shining).

Don't focus on mountain passes; nobody really drives over the passes, anyway, and Eisenhower Tunnel will get you to western Colorado if you want to go.

If you think you'll need snow chains, I'd advise you to just not drive to that area, especially if you've never driven in snowy mountains before. It's a sign that the weather is bad enough it's somewhat dangerous. Cars in Denver will have all-weather tires that are adequate for plowed roads.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
Last year November was quite cold with a good bit of snow. If I remember right it hit 0 degrees F in metro Denver. Certainly too late for fall colors in the mountains. Who knows what this year brings.

Independence Pass is actually between Leadville and Aspen. Trail Ridge Road goes over/through Rocky Mountain National Park. Both are most likely to be closed, along with the road to the top of Mount Evans. Loveland Pass (US-6 between Loveland Ski Area and Keystone) and Berthoud Pass (US-40 between Empire and Winter Park) will both be open unless there is an active severe storm. This will be well reported on local news. Both of these are enough to give you a good taste of the mountains and are within the drive distance you talk about. Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail if you have the extra time would all be worthwhile destinations to sight see. It's most likely to be too early for worthwhile skiing, but if the early snow is heavy I'd encourage you to go up and take a lesson if you've never skied before. Winter Park has a great program.

As Doc Savage suggests, chains are not really used by passenger cars around here. I would encourage you to look for a newer rental car with OEM tires with decent tread. As agencies have been keeping cars longer these days, sometimes you can get one with thin tread or low-end replacements that are not good for snow. If you are antsy, just wait it out for a nicer day as Doc Savage suggests.

I hope you have a pleasant stay.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:26 am

It's a bit of a drive from Denver but the drive through Glenwood Canyon (on I-70) is one of my favorites. There are quite a few things to do from there depending on what you like to do.

Also, check out "Squaw Pass Road" for a short day trip.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One thing for you to consider. While there is some reasonable public transit in Denver, it is really a "driving a car" type of city. Unless your hotel will be very close to your work site, I'd really try to rent a car for the duration of your stay.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
For reference, Denver is at around 5200 feet elevation. Days in November also can see temperatures in the 70s (F) or higher. But a high of 70F one day can be followed by a high of 45F the next. And the temp can vary 30F in one day, being 40F in the morning and 70F in the afternoon, for example. Either 0F or 75F would be rare in November.

I think Estes is around 8000'. It often receives its first snowfall before Halloween (10/31). At times the snow in Denver/Boulder comes overnight or in the morning and much is evaporated by the end of the day, especially in sunny areas.

In decent weather, a full day circle trip would be Denver to (Longmont or Loveland) to Estes then to Nederland to Central City/Blackhawk to Idaho Springs to Denver. In RMNP, even if Trail Ridge Road is closed at the top, you may still be able to drive several miles up it, then park and walk further. This circle trip could easily be turned into an overnight. Lots of good places to eat, shop, walk/hike, or gamble on that route.

For something a little warmer (probably), on a sunny day it would be easy to spend several hours around the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, an hour or so south of Denver.

Going out from Denver to the Southwest, West, or Northwest, you will be gaining significant elevation, so it may be best to defer those trips until you have had time to get used to the elevation in Denver, and take gallons of water with you (and consume it) when you go.

Hope that helps and that you enjoy your visit.

TRRed
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by elleana
Can anyone recommend a short trip or two (over the weekend, road trip preferred) out of Denver in November? Was thinking of Rocky Mountain NP but looks like Independence Pass will be closed by then.
Rocky Mountain National Park is nowhere near Independence Pass. And Independence Pass will be closed in November.

Estes Park, at the entrance to RMNP, would be a nice November day trip, if it's sunny and the forecast is good.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
The good thing is that the snow plows do a great job keeping most of the major arteries relatively snow free. Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 will definately be open. The only thing to consider is if the nearby Loveland Pass is closed (because of snow conditions) they meter traffic through the tunnel for hazardous cargo trucks (they are normally routed over Loveland) at the top of each hour for 15 minutes. Berthoud Pass to Winter Park is good and same for Kenosha Pass (going from Denver to Fairplay/South Park. Independence Pass (out of Aspen) and Trailridge Road (in RMNP) will be closed by mid-september (usually).

If you want a good drive, take Hwy 285 over Kenosha Pass to Fairplay and connect with Hwy 9 to Breckenridge. Then take I-70 back to Denver. Obviously, if you were doing this trip in Oct, you would see some beautiful aspen trees turning.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Thanks everyone for suggestions idea and tips.

Looks like these are the likely candidates:
(1) North to Estes Park, pop into Rocky Mountain National Park if weather allows
(2) West to Beckenridge, one way via US 285 and the return trip via I70 (or maybe across Loveland Pass)
(3) South to Colorado Springs, drive up Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods.

Are these all reasonable day trips (would prefer to be based on Denver all the way) or am I being too ambitious?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by elleana
Thanks everyone for suggestions idea and tips.

Looks like these are the likely candidates:
(1) North to Estes Park, pop into Rocky Mountain National Park if weather allows
(2) West to Beckenridge, one way via US 285 and the return trip via I70 (or maybe across Loveland Pass)
(3) South to Colorado Springs, drive up Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods.

Are these all reasonable day trips (would prefer to be based on Denver all the way) or am I being too ambitious?
All are reasonable day trips, assuming good weather.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Concur.

If you choose #3, you might want to consider (instead of driving it) the Pikes Peak Cog Railway. Pricey, but pretty incredible. With that intinerary you could also spend a couple of hours in Manitou Springs (at the base of Pikes Peak and where the Cog Railway departs from).
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
And showing my ignorance: is the road to Pike's Peak generally open all year, except for short term weather closures?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Do not underestimate the drive up Pikes Peak.

It's a very nice drive, but you gain a lot of altitude rather fast.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TRRed
And showing my ignorance: is the road to Pike's Peak generally open all year, except for short term weather closures?
Yes.

Originally Posted by dimramon
Do not underestimate the drive up Pikes Peak.

It's a very nice drive, but you gain a lot of altitude rather fast.
It can also be rather unnerving if you're not experienced at such driving. Also, be sure that your have no susceptibility to altitude sickness before doing the drive.

I know folks who have been so enchanted with the cog railway that they went back and did it again the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.