Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

5 days around Tuscon

5 days around Tuscon

Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last year I did both Organ Pipe and Saguaro National Park and they are absolutely worth visiting. Organ Pipe especially where I had the whole place to myself.

Oh and I suggest a lunch here: http://tucsontamale.com/
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
OP, in the current (March 2015) Arizona Highways magazine, there's a good photo essay of the desert wild flowers, including Organ Pipe on pages 18-19 and 30-31.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
This is one of those threads that I need to bookmark! VERY useful advice throughout. Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:33 pm

OP, I have to say I'm rather jealous. I think Tucson is one of the most underrated vacation destinations in the Southwest. We got to spend 3 days there last Spring and it wasn't nearly enough time. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:02 am

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Boneyard tours are available: http://www.pimaair.org/visit/tour
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Did I just get scammed on insurance? Rented from Payless at PHX. I live in NYC, don't own a car, and so have no car insurance, and normally decline all insurance when renting. I use CCs that cover CDW/LDW and my understanding was that in most (all?) states the rental car company automatically provides liability insurance up to the state mandated minimum limits. Payless at PHX says this is not the case in AZ and since I don't have insurance, they billed me at ~$15/day with their supplemental liability insurance (SLI). They said I could be fined $800 otherwise if I was pulled over. I checked with a couple of other rental car agencies at the airport before signing the Payless contract and they said the same thing.

The contract says in block letters that the OWNER DOES NOT PROVIDE PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE COVERAGE TO THE RENTER. So I figured I needed it or I would be driving illegally, as the guy said.

The guy at the counter also said that AZ is the only state where the rental companies don't extend even basic liability coverage to renters (whether primary or secondary). But if I look at the Hertz website (https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...RAGES&EOAG=SFO) it says they provide secondary liability protection up to the state minimums in all states except Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, South Carolina, Virginia, or West Virginia (where they provide primary liability protection instead).

Did I just get suckered? Also, I got the supplemental liability insurance. It seems I could have got the the renter liability insurance which would cover me up to the minimum limits and was presumably cheaper?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by abcx
Did I just get scammed on insurance? Rented from Payless at PHX.
Sounds like it. The internet is littered with complaints about Payless' strong-arm insurance practices. Including this judgement obtained by the AZ AG about their broken windshield insurance scam.

Have a great time in Tucson and be sure to thoroughly photograph the car when returning it.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Recommendations

Some co-workers took me to "Wine Country" in Tucson and it was really fun. Whites are better than the reds; the drive was beautiful (the desert is VERY different than the PacNW); and if you bring your own glass you get a couple of $ off the wine tasting.

Afterwards went to have authentic Mexican food - looks like a dive but good food - CrossRoads Caf. First time I had tasted mole and wow! VERY good. Be prepared though - this isn't Chipolte and it's just good food and inexpensive prices.

Also, there are a lot of festivals and concerts coming up in the next two months. The restaurant scene is really good here - I have had some very good meals. Try and grab a copy of Edibles.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant
Some co-workers took me to "Wine Country" in Tucson and it was really fun. Whites are better than the reds; the drive was beautiful (the desert is VERY different than the PacNW); and if you bring your own glass you get a couple of $ off the wine tasting.

Afterwards went to have authentic Mexican food - looks like a dive but good food - CrossRoads Caf. First time I had tasted mole and wow! VERY good. Be prepared though - this isn't Chipolte and it's just good food and inexpensive prices.

Also, there are a lot of festivals and concerts coming up in the next two months. The restaurant scene is really good here - I have had some very good meals. Try and grab a copy of Edibles.
^

The divey Mexican restaurants are always the best Mexican restaurants.

Are you still in Tucson? Go to El Guero Canelo and get a Sonoran Hot Dog. Trust me
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Talking

Originally Posted by Lost
^

The divey Mexican restaurants are always the best Mexican restaurants.

Are you still in Tucson? Go to El Guero Canelo and get a Sonoran Hot Dog. Trust me
Lost is correct in every way - take this man's advice. Now I want a Sammie dog.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Lost is correct in every way - take this man's advice. Now I want a Sammie dog.
They're opening one in Phoenix soon too 51st Ave and McDowell. Expected to open in June.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Lost
They're opening one in Phoenix soon too 51st Ave and McDowell. Expected to open in June.
I think it would be a shorter trip for me to drive to Tucson than 51st Ave and McDowell.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:11 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
My work office (when I'm not working from home) is in South Tucson and I have a bevy of Mexican restaurants to choose from. Yum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.