Wiki Posts
Search

Pima Air Museum Boneyard Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Pima Air Museum Boneyard Tour

Just thought I would give my opinion on the Pima air museum and its boneyard tour.

I believe there are only 2 boneyard tours a day (could be wrong), 11am and 2pm. You can actually arrive early that day, and prepay for your tour and the museum (you can re-enter the museum numerous times in the day). But you will need goverment ID to do the tour, as you're visiting a military installation.

The tour guide definitely knew his stuff, but found him difficult to understand over the loud speaker (microphone issue I think).

I was a bit disapointed with the boneyard tour in the fact that there was really no stopping, and when there was, there was no going around to allow people to take photos of the otherside.

Since you are at a military facility, you are on a proper bus, not a tram, so you will not be able to get off, and take photos. If your sole reason for going to the museum to see the boneyard, I think you will be disapointed. It would be nice if they could allow small groups of people to go out and take some photos.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Appreciate the report. That does indeed sound disappointing, I'm also the type who likes to get out and take pictures.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've never done the tour, but I drove onto Davis-Monthan AFB when I first came to AZ and had an active pass on my car. I had been in the Army, and the pass was valid for about 4 years.

Along with visiting the PX, we drove right into the boneyard (it was called the, "plane graveyard," then). At least back then (mid-1990s), we could just drive right in, stop as we wanted, and take pictures.

Based on this report, I'm sure glad I did.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question

Originally Posted by RJD1983
I was a bit disapointed with the boneyard tour in the fact that there was really no stopping, and when there was, there was no going around to allow people to take photos of the otherside.

Since you are at a military facility, you are on a proper bus, not a tram, so you will not be able to get off, and take photos. If your sole reason for going to the museum to see the boneyard, I think you will be disapointed. It would be nice if they could allow small groups of people to go out and take some photos.
Disappointed (sp.)? On what basis do you say that?

I toured the boneyard with my son a couple of years ago & found it fascinating! The reason the tour did not stop? That's obvious. The boneyard is huge. Indeed, the TA reviews are solid:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction...n_Arizona.html

I have visited some UK military museums and I can't think of anything comparable? Since you were "disappointed", can you recommend anything similar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.