Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

January daytrips in Phoenix

January daytrips in Phoenix

Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by Wilbur
I recommend renting a car from a local, off-airport facility, as the airport rental car facility charges confiscatory taxes and fees.

If you are going to Tucson for the Titan Missile Museum and Pima Air Force Museum, you might also consider a couple of other Tucson spots that AZTimm recommends.

The Sabino Canyon is a fantastic, steep river valley that drains Mount Lemmon. It has a trolley that drives up to the top and down again over the 14 bridges and fords, and you can ride it up to the top and then hike down, or ride it down, or hike and jump back on if you get sick of walking downhill.

The Sonoran Desert Museum is a combination botanical gardens / desert creature zoo / aviary out near the Old Tucson movie set west of the city.

A good hour's drive east of the city is Kartchner Caverns near Benson. The caverns are a once-in-lifetime sort of experience, fully preserved by the state in hermetically sealed air locks, and it is truly amazing what you can see in all the different living caves.

On the way down to Tucson is Marana Air Park, which is about 10 miles north of Tuscon, right off the I-10, a huge commercial aviation boneyard. It is private, but one time the gate guard let me drive along the perimeter road.

And here in the valley, I don't think that anyone has mentioned the Confederate Air Force in Mesa. At that time of the year several of the aircraft are actually flying tours, as we see them come up over our place, but it still is a nice museum with static displays. http://www.azcaf.org/
The CAF looks great, I think I'll book a ride with Texan.

I saw the Marana Air park last year while driving to PIMA and was wondering if it is public. I'll try my chances for a few 747 pictures.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Also the Desert botanical garden in phoenix is worth a visit.

Heard Museum also is good.

A Pink jeep tour in sedona is worth while ( may need to wrap up a bit as Sedona is at 4000 ft and cooler than PHX)

Regards

TBS
Sedona is on my summer trip list. I am escaping from Europe's winter so almost all my winter clothes will stay at home.

Originally Posted by Lost
Four corners drive should be alright during the winter unless a storm has just come through. We typically get most of our winter storms in February/early March, though with this el nino we might get a little more weather than normal this winter. The drive to four corners is about 4-4.5 hours one way from Phoenix in good weather and dry roads.

You might want to bring some warmer clothes if you go up there. 0-20F are typical overnight lows up north; 20-40F daytime highs. Remember you're waaaay out there if your rental breaks down, and there's limited cell phone coverage once you get past Flagstaff.

Since you're like me and you'll head out a ways to get a few pictures, if you go all the way to the four corners you might as well head through Monument Valley while you're up there. Drive US 163 north from Kayenta. Monument Valley straddles the Arizona/Utah line. Oddly enough, stop by the Burger King in Kayenta and check out their Navajo Code Talkers exhibits. Really interesting story.
Driving up to Monument Valley seems too much for a daytrip. I was considering it. I plan to do this trip together with mrs shady.
I'll adjust with the weather forecast I plan to do this only when dry but you never know in mountains.

If you didn't do it last time... when you go down to the Pima Air Museum you might schedule a tour of the D-M boneyard. Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

If you want to hit a sporting event, the Suns (NBA basketball- Downtown Phoenix) and the Coyotes (NHL ice hockey- in Glendale) will be in season. Both area a lot of fun. That's also NFL Playoff time, but it's anybody's guess if the Cardinals will make it (my guess is no )

Piestewa Peak (formerly known as Squaw Peak) and Camelback Mountain are good hikes, so if you like hiking by all means do it. The Camelback parking lot fills up so you might have to wait for a spot (avoid sunrise to 10am-ish, especially on weekends. That's when it seems to be the busiest. In January the temps are cool enough to permit hiking any time of day)

Another good hiking area that I like during the winter is the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve. The city has been building these trails over the past five years or so and they've done a wonderful job. You could also look towards the Superstition Mountains for more hiking (I've never been over there).
I did PIMA last year but I have to return. Except boneyard I was a little bored on that bus tour.
Go Coyotes!
The Sonoran Preserve looks awesome, Dixie summit here I come.

Thank you everyone for all the tips. They are so many I think I need to spend February as well in PHX to check them all out.

Another question on a different topic: Any fine restaurant recommendations? I want to take mrs shady for anniversary dinner. Last year I took her to Differente Pointe of View and we liked it there a lot.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Another question on a different topic: Any fine restaurant recommendations?.[/QUOTE]

Depends entirely on what kind of cuisine you would like. Someplace unique to Arizona such as Kai at the Wild Horse Pass? Classic French can be found at Christopher's. If you have to have supposedly the best pizza in the US there is Pizzeria Bianco. Classic Arizona restaurants might include Durant's, Lon's at the Hermosa, or House of Tricks.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by shady
Another question on a different topic: Any fine restaurant recommendations? I want to take mrs shady for anniversary dinner. Last year I took her to Differente Pointe of View and we liked it there a lot.
Barrio Cafe on 16th St south of Thomas is a good date night restaurant if you like Mexican.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Phoenix City Grille is one of my favorites (#14 on TA for Phoenix too): http://phoenixcitygrille.com/
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
I forgot to add El Chorro Lodge, Binkley's, and Quiessence. Also, go to www.azcentral.com and peruse Howard Seftel's recommendations, that guy is usually spot on with a lot of places!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:58 am

I saw the Marana Air park last year while driving to PIMA and was wondering if it is public. I'll try my chances for a few 747 pictures.
Technically it is a public airport, but they have pretty tight security and like to keep people away.

Once driving down I-10 to Tucson about 12 years ago I saw a DC-8 blow an engine while departing.

You might have better luck at the Goodyear Airport. Take I10 west from Phoenix, exit at Bullard and head south towards the Goodyear Ballpark. You can get quite a bit closer than at MZJ.

Last edited by Lost; Aug 12, 2014 at 11:04 am
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: Dust...
Echo Canyon hike on Camelback Mountain is not to be missed if you like hiking. However, it is not a day trip. It is in the city (15-20 minute drive from Sky Harbor). You can hike it and be home/hotel and cleaned up before lunch.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by symbols
Echo Canyon hike on Camelback Mountain is not to be missed if you like hiking. However, it is not a day trip. It is in the city (15-20 minute drive from Sky Harbor). You can hike it and be home/hotel and cleaned up before lunch.
Very true, you can be up and down in two hours or less depending on your pace. Though it's best to go earlier in the day rather than later...fewer people and all.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the valuable tips. My itinerary is now quite full. I can now start planning the trips.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi, just checking in as I owe you all a lot for all the tips. Piestewa, Camelback, Dixie peak are all defeated, beautiful views. I've just returned from Titan missile museum and guess what? I've turned the key!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:21 pm

Hi, just checking in as I owe you all a lot for all the tips. Piestewa, Camelback, Dixie peak are all defeated, beautiful views. I've just returned from Titan missile museum and guess what? I've turned the key!
Oh man I'm jealous! I didn't get picked when I went. Thanks for checking back to let us all know what a good time you had and congratulations on conquering the peaks ^
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Congratulations, and come back again soon.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Congratulations, and come back again soon.
I am still for the next two weeks and getting short of peaks

That's also NFL Playoff time, but it's anybody's guess if the Cardinals will make it (my guess is no )
That was a good season with a terrible end. If Palmer or Stanton didn't get injured maybe they would have get further than the wildcard.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:45 pm

I am still for the next two weeks and getting short of peaks
There's plenty more around if you want to do more. Vulture Peak up by Wickenburg, or the White Tank Mountains. hikearizona.com is a great resource.

That was a good season with a terrible end. If Palmer or Stanton didn't get injured maybe they would have get further than the wildcard.
I'm a Seahawks fan so that was a great end!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Greetings from Four Corners.

It was a nice drive. I did drive via Monument valley as well. Amazing day trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.