Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by djp98374
At Many Glacier the boat ride goes over 2 lakes....a short one that crosses the lake then its a short quartmile hike then another boat ride to the end of that lake to the trail heah for grinnell glacier or grinnel lake.
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes. . . in case it's not obvious to others, the two lakes aren't connected by navigable water way, so each lake has its own boat that goes from one end to the other. They're timed so you walk from one boat to the other and get back on.
Thank you. This was not clear to me from their website.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:57 am

Glacier National Park: One Lodge Closed for Season, One Burns Down

The Lake McDonald Lodge at Glacier National Park has closed for the season on August 30, one month earlier than expected due to unhealthy levels of smoke from the Sprague Fire.

Meanwhile, the historic backcountry Sperry Chalet burned down despite a major effort to save it.

Elsewhere in the west, Crater Lake has been plagued by poor air quality, with Wizard Island almost invisible from the rim due to smoke from nearby fires.

Last edited by Reindeerflame; Sep 1, 2017 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:38 am

We had a wonderful trip to Glacier and appreciate the help so generously offered in this thread. Everything in every way was great. Yesterday, I learned that Lake McDonald Lodge is closed for the season due to poor air quality from the Sprague Fire. Going to the Sun Road is closed to Logan's Pass.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:17 am

Glacier National Park, MT - feedback needed!

Hi everyone,

My name is Leyla and this is my first post on Flyertalk Forum, so please bear with me and excuse any ignorance I may have of Flyertalk norms.

My friend and I are planning a trip to Glacier National Park, Montana. She would be flying in from JFK, and I would be flying in from Tyson-McGhee Airport (Knoxville, TN). Our goal is to fly into Kalispell, rent a car, and camp in as much as GNP as possible from June 30 - July 11.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How far in advance should she and I book the flight? I have read differing views on when is the best time to buy airfare (for example, 54 days in advance), but I'm tempted to believe an article on AirFareWatchdog that says there really is no premium time; you just need to set airfare alerts and keep checking. What do you all think and know?

2. Have any of you ever actually done a similar trip - where you fly into a location with all of your camping gear, rent a car, and go? If so, what are some traveling tips and tricks you've learned from experience? Because neither of us have ever done this before. I camped with my father plenty of times, but he always sorted out the logistics, and this will be my first go at planning everything by myself. My friend is like a sister; 12 years younger than I am (I'm 32) - and I want to be a responsible guide/protector.

3. Does anyone have a recommended route they would take through the Park? I'm going to do extensive research myself, but it would be wonderful to get some initial feedback.

Clearly, my itinerary (if I can even call it that) is in its infancy, and any help that you'd like to give would be very much appreciated!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by leylacatherine
Hi everyone,

My name is Leyla and this is my first post on Flyertalk Forum, so please bear with me and excuse any ignorance I may have of Flyertalk norms.
Welcome! We're happy to have you here.

My friend and I are planning a trip to Glacier National Park, Montana. She would be flying in from JFK, and I would be flying in from Tyson-McGhee Airport (Knoxville, TN). Our goal is to fly into Kalispell, rent a car, and camp in as much as GNP as possible from June 30 - July 11.
The park is stunningly beautiful. You will have a great time.

3. Does anyone have a recommended route they would take through the Park? I'm going to do extensive research myself, but it would be wonderful to get some initial feedback.
Only one road goes thru the park. That is the stunning Going to the Sun Road. It is closed by snow into June. When closed, folks have to drive outside the park to get from one side to the other.

I encourage you to browse thru this thread. I don't remember any of us asking about camping in that thread, but it will help you with some basic knowledge of the park. We were there in August and loved it. I encourage you to go to every ranger talk you can. We learned a lot of fascinating information about the park from the ones we attended.

As an aside, if you like mystery books, read
Rick Mofina's COLD FEAR Rick Mofina's COLD FEAR
. It is fictional, is set in Glacier National Park, and is about a family who lose their little girl while camping. It is mesmerizing and gives you some sense of the park on both the US and Canadian sides.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Given that you are flying into a very small airport and that you are flying during the peak tourist season, I doubt expect to find too many deals. If you see a fare that seems reasonable, grab it. It sounds as if this is a very special trip for the both of you, so i would focus on what you want to see and do while there. I've only been to Glacier once, and I didn't camp, so I can't make any specific recommendations. Just buy a good guide books, hiking book and map, and enjoy your time there.

And welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions:

1. How far in advance should she and I book the flight? I have read differing views on when is the best time to buy airfare (for example, 54 days in advance), but I'm tempted to believe an article on AirFareWatchdog that says there really is no premium time; you just need to set airfare alerts and keep checking. What do you all think and know?
Welcome to FT!!!! Flights to FCA are almost always pretty expensive and don't drop a heck of a lot. The only thing you might find cheaper is a Frontier flight to Missoula and then drive up.

2. Have any of you ever actually done a similar trip - where you fly into a location with all of your camping gear, rent a car, and go? If so, what are some traveling tips and tricks you've learned from experience? Because neither of us have ever done this before. I camped with my father plenty of times, but he always sorted out the logistics, and this will be my first go at planning everything by myself. My friend is like a sister; 12 years younger than I am (I'm 32) - and I want to be a responsible guide/protector.
My wife and I just did this in Svalbard and Iceland this summer. It all depends on your outdoor experience. My wife and I live in Colorado and spend weekends backpacking where we might not see anyone else for the couple of days we're out. We have all the gear to make us feel comfortable enough doing it. If you don't have the camp stove, sleeping pad, bear canister/bag, etc., it'll make for a long trip. If you're well outfitted, it'll be a blast.

Clearly, my itinerary (if I can even call it that) is in its infancy, and any help that you'd like to give would be very much appreciated!
As others have mentioned, the only road that goes through is the Going to the Sun Road. I haven't camped there specifically (just drove through on a day trip), so I can't give you specific advice. But, it is tied with Zion for me for most beautiful National Park I've been to.

Chris
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you made campsite reservations yet?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:53 pm

The best area for hiking is the Many Glacier area on the east side. You might consider splitting your time between the Lake McDonald area and the Many Glacier area, and make campsite reservations well in advance.

A good idea for longer hikes is to go on the free ranger naturalist guided hikes, such as the one to Grinnell Glacier. There's safety in numbers, which is important for the grizzly bears. You can consult the park newspaper on line at the official park site to determine what hikes are offered and when.

Camping while flying in is a bit less convenient than just loading up a vehicle and going, but I have done it a number of times (Acadia, Cape Hatteras, Ofekenokee Swamp, Great Smoky Mountains).
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Some advice.....

1, look at other airports. look for the best airfare+ rental car cost.

Look at Kalispell...also look at Missoula, Helena, Great Falls, Bozeman, Billings, and Spokane. Salt Lake City is another option.

In Montana you can big one way rentals sometimes between 2 Montana cities without one way drop off fees.

The time you are targeting your trip is early in the season so a heavier spring snow could mean high elevation trails are still covered in snow. Going to the Sun Road usually doesn't open fully till June 20---depending on snow level and any road damage caused by snow.

For glacier you really cant base yourself at one spot---you need to do a stay on the west side and on the east side. The east side is very rural. There is a KOA jkist outside the park entrance. You need to make reservations. there are a few other camping sites--reservations are needed. You cant wing this.

If you have passports you can also cross over and do Waterton Lakes park across the border.

In glacier there are boats that link hikes. You need to reserve these separately. For example at two mesicine a boat takes you along the length of the lake to trail heads, get off hike, then boat bake, At Many glacier there is a tandem boat you can take to do hikes. their is a morning ranger led hike to the glacier (strenuous hike)/

This trip is 12 days...I would say you can include other places in this trip.

I would say 2 days west side and 3 days east side.1 day each end for travel gives you 4 days. other places to explore would be to go to Canada and see Waterton Lakes or you can include Flathead Lake area and Bob Marshall Wilderness just tot he south of glacier. A nother option is in northern Idaholike around couer dalaen or central Idaho in sawtooth mountains as part of a trip from SLC or Spokane.

Around the last week of June in great falls there is a Lewis and Clark festival --along with that there is a lewis and clark museum in great falls.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
As others have mentioned, flying into Kalispell is very expensive. I did this trip in Mid July a couple of years ago and flew into Butte and out of Bozeman for about 1/3 of the price of what it would have cost me to fly into Kalispell. The rental car was also cheaper (and was not charged the usual one way fee).
Since we were driving from Butte, we started with the Two Medicine Lakes area, then up to Many Glacier, back down to St Mary Lake, and finally headed west via the Going to the Sun road to the Lake McDonald Area. Top trails were Grinnell Glacier (did it on July 15th and it was the first day the trail was 'officially open' - still had to hike through A LOT of snow to get to the glacier), Iceberg Lake, and the Highline trail (loop).
From the Lake McDonald Area we drove down to Missoula and then Yellowstone (the reason why we chose to fly out of Bozeman). The drive is very easy, so you can also consider splitting your time between the 2 parks.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I have flown in and out of Bozeman several times on Yellowstone trips. It seemed to be more competitive than other airports. At about 5 hours from Kalispell mostly via an interstate, that should not be a bad drive.

If you look at several other threads on Glacier and Yellowstone NPs, you will see a lot of advice not to do these in the same trip. That is usually because people are trying to do them in a week or less. With 10+ days, I think you could do both plus Grand Teton without feeling too rushed. However, as mentioned, you will be going at peak season; I can't advise you on camping res, but if you want to do hotels or lodges in the parks some nights, you need to be making reservations now.

Years ago when I flew into visit these areas, I would find a WalMart or similar store and load up on a cooler, food, and some hiking gear so that I would not have to carry it on the plane. At the end, I shipped the gear and stuff in the cooler back via UPS, etc. which was cheaper than paying to check it. Just an option to consider.

Last edited by TRRed; Apr 3, 2018 at 9:08 am Reason: typo
Old May 17, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
I go fly fishing twice a year for the Missouri river and always fly into Great Falls.

If you want to save money on the airfare and car rental, consider Great Falls - much cheaper than any other airport plus flights in/out are more frequent - Delta, Alaska and United fly there...

If you are planning on staying on the east side of GNP, Great Falls is a couple hours away thru the Indian reservation.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by djp98374
Look at Kalispell...also look at Missoula, Helena, Great Falls, Bozeman, Billings, and Spokane. Salt Lake City is another option.
As someone who flew to SLC for a Yellowstone trip, that would be one heck of a drive to Glacier from there.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:38 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
If you end up flying into Missoula and have some extra time, considering stopping by the National Bison Range on the way up to Glacier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.