Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Hey folks - can someone tell me which lake this is at Glacier National Park?

I've looked at NPS website and can't identify the lake that is in this photo.

http://24.166.13.207/~bowdenj/media/...tember2002.jpg

thank you!
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:31 am

Programs: Alaska, NW, AGR, much love for WN
I think it is Grinnell Lake but I may be wrong. There are so many pretty lakes at Glacier that it is hard to be sure.

Here are a couple of other shots of Grinnell:
here
and
here

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks G - I think you are absolutely right !
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Fishing In Whitefish/Glacier NP

Hi Everyone,

Last year I spent a week in Glacier NP just doing photography. I will be returning to the area this year September 22-29. My main focus this time is fishing. Of course I will also bring my camera. Would anyone have any recommendations on productive areas that are easy accessible for fishing? I may also be interested in taking 1 guided trip. Can anyone please recommend a guide service in Whitefish or West Glacier? Can I expect some fall color at this time? Would anyone recommend any other nearby areas for sightseeing or fishing?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
Old May 16, 2008, 4:26 pm

Glacier, Mt- Glacier National Park Transportation and lodging

I'm planning to take the train to Glacier, Mt to go Glacier National Park. Does anyone have information about transportation to the park from the train station, rental car place or hotels beside the park lodging?
Thanks
Old May 18, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: DM, AA, UA,HH,Priority, Amtrak, Starwwod, BA, Marriott
Greetings: I would suggest you either/both post this to the Amtrak list on this Board under Miles & Points or even better the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Board found here: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?act=idx

Good luck and I hope you get an answer because I've had the same question myself.

ETM
Old May 19, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
advice

I believe you will have much better luck getting a car in Whitefish than E. Glacier. The train, if I remember correctly, skirts the outside of the park. Browning is one of the most ghetto places in Montana and should be avoided (I'm a native so I feel comfortable saying that). Whitefish is home to Chuck Schwab and a bunch of other rich folks so I'm sure there is a car rental place there. You may have to take a taxi to the airport to get a car though. Public transit outside of Missoula, Great Falls and Billings is non-existant and only a taxi will get you to and from the airport. A lot of people love to stay at St. Mary's on the east side of the park. Whitefish has a number of fancy hotels and resorts so you could stay there also but would have to commute to the park.
Old May 19, 2008, 1:16 pm

I would definitely stay in the park if you can. In summer, the vehicle lines to enter the park can get quite long. The park lodges can be pricey, but worth it for the easy access.
If you have more than 1 day, I'd suggest you rent a car. You can take the Glacier Park tour car (don't remember what they call these) over the Going-to-the-Sun road, but so much nicer to do it at your own pace.
If you more than 2 days, I'd plan to spend time on the east and west side of the park. On the east side, Many Glacier is wonderful and you can take a boat to the Grinell Glacier hike trailhead from the dock at the lodge. I've seen grizzlies fairly often from various trails in the Many Glacier area, so if you're wanting to avoid that, make sure to check with rangers concerning the current status of any trail you're considering. On the west side, if you're willing to get up early and drive the unpaved road to Kintla Lake one can often see wildlife along the road and Bowman & Kintla Lake are usually not crowded. I've seen wolves and lots of black bear w/ cubs along these roads. If you drive up that way, make sure to buy yummy, fresh baked goods at the general store in Polebridge and look for "Ranger Lyle" the 80+year old ranger (he's amazing!) at Kintla Lake!
Old May 19, 2008, 8:13 pm

Thanks for the great advice guys! I'm going to research these options to see which one is the best for me.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:45 pm

Lodging and Rental Car Information

Now that I have returned from my trip I can offer some tips in case that someone else need them.

Rental Car

I got information about 2 rental car companies in Glacier: Dollar and Avis. I rented from Dollar. Dollar has a free shuttle (van) to pick you and to take you back to the train station and it is a short distance from the station. This was good. Since the Glacier train station is seasonal, I think that the gift store and motel where Dollar is located could be seasonal too. The people that work there are from out of state so that's another clue.

Lodging

I followed the advice and booked my first night at a hotel in White Fish. The hotel was sold out for my second night. Since I'm an adventurer and had a Plan B ( Camping at the National Park if i didn't find a hotel for the second night), I decided to check out places at Glacier. The lady at the Store/Dollar Rent a Car/ Motel asked me if I had hotel reservations and I told her that I had reservations for the first night but not for the second one. When I told her that it was in White Fish she laughed and told me that White Fish was about two hours from there (East Glacier). I had checked the map and I saw the Glacier Airport about 15 miles from the hotel so I didn't think that it was going to be like that but she told me that Glacier is a big area. I asked for the price of one of the cabins there and it was $50 so I reserved one for the next day.

I explored the East Glacier side of the National Park on day one. This is the big area with different parts to explore. It would take at least one whole day or more to see all the areas here. I began my trip to White Fish at sunset. Most of the beautiful areas in East Glacier National Park are either going up or down mountains and sometimes too close to the cliffs. I arrived at White Fish at 11:00 p.m. The next day after breakfast, I explored the town. It's really beautiful and I'm glad that I saw it but if your main focus is Glacier National Park, I suggest that you stay in Glacier.

The second day I went to the National Park through West Glacier. This side of the park is half an hour from White Fish and I think that was what
flyingcat2k was thinking about and I thought about when I saw the map but unfortunately the Amtrak train station is on the other side of the park and about an hour and a half from there. This side is smaller and you see it easily in one day or less. When I returned to East Glacier it was 8:00 p.m. and I returned the car and saw the no vacancy sign. I was glad that I had reserved the cabin the day before and that I was close to the train station for the morning departure.

Other Lodging:

There were other motels, cabins in the area too plus the beautiful Glacier Park Lodge across the station. I explored the beautiful lodge during my first morning to check prices. They were sold out but the prices vary from $149 to $500.

I also checked the Lake McDonald Lodge inside the park in West Glacier on my second day but I didn't ask prices.

ETManning, I checked the Amtrak board but I didn't see any information about Glacier Park. If you have questions about something else that I didn't say here let me know.

The lines to enter the park were not long I guess because it was in June and I heard that the busy season begins in July. There was a part in the park that was not opened because of the season and it is the tunnel that connects the east and the west sides of the park. It will open in July.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm not quite sure which station you are specifically talking about as there are 4 stops, if I remember correct, near the park. East Glacier, West Glacier, Whitefish, and I believe a seasonal stop half-way between East and West Glacier (at a historic hotel with nothing much else around). East Glacier is the most remote station and is over 2 hours from any "real" town (i.e. Whitefish/Kalispell), so that's likely where you went. To me, Whitefish is the best stop as there is car rental available at the station (Hertz) and there are more affordable places to stay. You are only about 30 min from the West Entrance and while, yes, the lines to enter can be long in the summer, get there early enough and you will not have any lines.

Just my 2 cents.

-Mike
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:02 pm

Looking at a trip to Glacier Park.........

......and/or the surrounding environs this June.

We're looking to do some hiking and exploring via rental car. Complications:

1. We're traveling with our 11 month old (Well, she'll be 11 months at the time of the trip)

2. I hate being surrounded by bus loads of tourists. Other than being run over by a glacier I can't think of anything that could ruin the trip as quickly as being caught in a tourist trap.

3. Gotta fly there from ATL via Delta

So what are your recommendations? The wife and I are seasoned travelers, but carting the little one along will be a new experience. (That we're not overly scared of)

What are your recommendations on Banff and Waterton in Canada? That Prince of Wales hotel looks stunning.

I know very little of this area so I'm open to just about any suggestion. Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Originally Posted by NorcrossFlyer
......and/or the surrounding environs this June.

We're looking to do some hiking and exploring via rental car. Complications:

1. We're traveling with our 11 month old (Well, she'll be 11 months at the time of the trip)

2. I hate being surrounded by bus loads of tourists. Other than being run over by a glacier I can't think of anything that could ruin the trip as quickly as being caught in a tourist trap.

3. Gotta fly there from ATL via Delta

So what are your recommendations? The wife and I are seasoned travelers, but carting the little one along will be a new experience. (That we're not overly scared of)

What are your recommendations on Banff and Waterton in Canada? That Prince of Wales hotel looks stunning.

I know very little of this area so I'm open to just about any suggestion. Thanks!
Kallispell (FCA/GPI) is the closest airport. Missoula (MSO) is maybe 3 hours away, and a nice drive. (It's my home airport)

If you go to Glacier Park, you will be surrounded by tourists. The road is old, narrow, winding. It's not really a "car" park like Yellowstone is. You have to get out and really hit it hiking-wise. It's hard to find a parking place, LOL, and I'm not sure how hard a hike you want with the baby. There's not much to Kalispell and the town just outside the park is a total tourist trap.

Waterton is the Canadian portion of Glacier.

Banff is much nicer. Fly to Calgary. The transcan to Banff is wide and well maintained, Banff is stunning and way less crowded. We stayed at the Delta Royal Canadian Lodge and loved it. Small. Lovely. Walking distance to food and shops. Lake Louise is worth the drive.

EDIT to add: When are you going? LOL the roads in Glacier don't always open on time. In mid-June you'll be chasing snowplows. Also Going to the Sun Road is a M E S S. It needs a lot of work, which they are doing in bits and pieces. This does not help traffic.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:23 am

Looking at a mid June arrival. I am a little worried about the roads in Glacier, but I'm afraid to go any late and risk really hitting the peak of tourist season.

I figured Banff wasn't as popular with the crowds. That might be our best option. I'd like to do both, but it gets tricky doing a car rental return in a differnent country.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
You won't hit really bad crowds till July & August, and the weekends are A LOT worse. We're having a lot of snow this winter so the roads may take a little longer to clear in June. Glacier is also (like Yellowstone) pretty run down. The roads are not up to the traffic, there aren't enough restrooms, not enough parking, not enough places to eat, things are dirty, etc. It's really very disappointing. :-(

We go to Yellowstone every year, either the first weekend it opens, or after Oct 15. We usually end up in Glacier one weekend. We like Yellowstone better, because it's geekier.

If I wanted to see major scenery, get some good hiking, and still have a calm, restful experience I'd go to Banff. And I'd keep driving -- Kootenay National Park is really swell, and has natural hot springs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.