Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skiing in Jackson Hole, WY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Skiing in Jackson Hole, WY

Anyone have any advice/experience in booking a ski vacation in Jackson Hole. Party of 5 ppl flying from NYC area for about a week.

Any best times to go? (we're flexible, looking at end of Jan-March)

Any suggestions on lodging? cabin? staying in Jackson vs the Ski Resort?

Any advice on shuttles from local areas if we stay in the town of Jackson?

Any other general advice on things to do/see out there?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:34 am

It will be very cold and you can get dumps at any time during your stay. How much are you looking to spend on lodging? Four Seasons is a good choice but you may also consider renting a house or condo near the resort. How serious of a skiier are you? That is, if it's a powder day, do you want to hit the first tram in the morning or will you be sticking to the more moderate parts of the mountain? Stay at the resort if you will be there first thing in the morning - town is a good 20 min away. There is a shuttle that runs regularly to the ski resort (I haven't taken it in years).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Four Seasons looks very good but its a bit out of our price range. We'd probably be looking to go up to a maximum of $500 per night. We would probably get to the mountain as early as it opened, but dont mind a short 20min shuttle from outside the resort. In terms of skiing skill I'd say we'd stay in the more moderate parts as we are all native east coast skiiers. Maybe a 1 day trip to the bowl.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:49 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
a4udi98, welcome to FlyerTalk.

For more discussion, I'll move this to the Destinations West forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Not sure if you have been there before but it can be confusing....

There iS the city of Jackson and then there is Teton village. These are about 10 miles apart. Teton village is where the resort is. There are a few other neighboring towns as well.

At that time it gets cold and snowy.

I highly advise you not to go here unless you are very good, double black diamond skiers.

I won't go there to ski. My brother also knows how to ski. He went there or a conference ( he is a university professor..the benefits with travel) so he skied. There wasn't much there t all for him as an intermediate skier who knows how to ski but doesn't care to ski suicide missions.

There are hotel shuttles from the airport or cmetro area buses. You should have no problem there without a car.

The costs of the resorts are high and make sure you don't get caught and book at a place you thought was loser than it really was.

The cheapest time to travel there or any other ski place like near salt lake city or vail/ Breckinridge will be in mid January to early February before valentines day and president day holiday.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:41 pm

That will be a tough time to ski there if you are used to east coast stuff and haven't skiied big mountains before...it will limit how much of the mountain you can realistically access - you will be on the lower part of the mountain most of the time. With that being said, I think the above characterization of "suicide missions" is a bit overkill. It may be worth a couple of half days with the ski school - they are excellent. Since you won't be getting up for the first tram, you are probably ok staying in town (Jackson). I agree that you should be ok without a car - staying in town you can walk everywhere and you can always catch the shuttle to the resort. If you can push to late March that might be a more enjoyable time for your group.

Last edited by thelark; Oct 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by thelark
That will be a tough time to ski there if you are used to east coast stuff and haven't skiied big mountains before...it will limit how much of the mountain you can realistically access - you will be on the lower part of the mountain most of the time. With that being said, I think the above characterization of "suicide missions" is a bit overkill. It may be worth a couple of half days with the ski school - they are excellent. Since you won't be getting up for the first tram, you are probably ok staying in town (Jackson). I agree that you should be ok without a car - staying in town you can walk everywhere and you can always catch the shuttle to the resort. If you can push to late March that might be a more enjoyable time for your group.
I honestly think they should do someplace else if they haven't skied out west before. It's just too drastic of a jump.

I think vail/Breckinridge/dillon area or Utah where they can easily ski multiple areas would be better for them.

I agree march would be better.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:57 pm

If this is your first trip out west what interests you in a place to go to?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Ok, so this isnt the groups first time out west. I've spent about 7 skiing days in Park City/Canyons in Utah and a few of the others have been to Aspen and a couple other places out West. While by no means are we expert skiiers, we're all fairly young and agile (25 yrs old). I doubt we'd do any double blacks, but when we did blacks in Park City / Canyons, so I'd feel prepared. I appreciate the notice about the mountain being challenging.

As far as Jackson/Teton village being separate we'd most likely do the shuttle deal and stay in Jackson so we could get involved in the night life. Any suggestions for places to stay there? We're probably going more for the value category of accommodations this time.

Also, is there anyone who knows of any cabins in the area that could be rented? We thought about possibly renting a cabin and a car if that was possible.

thanks to all who replied and who will reply.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:35 am

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...ure:2012-12-30

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...n_Rentals.html

Jackson Hole is spectacular. There is plenty of skiing for high intermediates / low experts. But to get the most out of the mountain, you need to be a strong expert...

Have fun!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by a4udi98
Ok, so this isnt the groups first time out west. I've spent about 7 skiing days in Park City/Canyons in Utah and a few of the others have been to Aspen and a couple other places out West. While by no means are we expert skiiers, we're all fairly young and agile (25 yrs old). I doubt we'd do any double blacks, but when we did blacks in Park City / Canyons, so I'd feel prepared. I appreciate the notice about the mountain being challenging.

As far as Jackson/Teton village being separate we'd most likely do the shuttle deal and stay in Jackson so we could get involved in the night life. Any suggestions for places to stay there? We're probably going more for the value category of accommodations this time.

Also, is there anyone who knows of any cabins in the area that could be rented? We thought about possibly renting a cabin and a car if that was possible.

thanks to all who replied and who will reply.

If you have been out west before skiing then you should be able to handle Jackson Hole.

I have been to Jackson multiple times in the July-September but not in the winter. I am not sure how the shuttles/buses works if it operates from hotels or is a standard bus line.

Along the main road its shops and restaurants. Outside of the heart of town along 89 you have a few other motels and some supermarkets. Thos are after the route 22 turn off where a shuttle would likely go to take you to ski.

Ideally Id look to stay at Antler or the Lexington....not sure of your budget. There are a bunch of no name motels right in the heart of the city. the Antler is right near the center of the city. It has a few sister properties near it too to stay at (look online). there is also a quality inn there as well.

There are some cheaper hotels like Motel 6 and I think its a super 8 that are decent hotels for a place to sleep but they are about a mile or so from the downtown area though there likely is a city bus line that could take you into town.

2-3 blocks down from the motel 6 toward jackson is an albertsons supermarket. the other way outside of town about a 1/2 mile down is Smiths supermarket.

If you look to rent a cabin you will likely need to rent a car to get anywhere. Some of the stuff is only open during the summer and close for the winter. The National Park lodging is only open from beginning of May through mid September.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We're likely looking to find a place where we can get a suite type room so all 5 can stay in the same room. We did this way when we went to Park City last year.

$500 per night is probably around what we're looking for.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:09 pm

maybe check out the Rusty Parrot. I've never stayed at any hotels in JH, but I've heard good things and that might fit your budget.

JH is much more challenging than Park City. Based on your posts, I'd recommend at least a 1/2 day with an instructor if you want to push yourself. They're really excellent and will get you to the terrain best suited to your ability and the conditions.

I've logged a few hundred days skiing in the area but haven't been in a few years...kids will be old enough soon!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:43 am

Bump for any more Jackson Hole suggestions.

3 of us looking for a good place to stay, good snowmobile guides, any other recommendations.

Would like to keep it under $250 a night. vrbo looked like it had some good options in the village...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

We've just solidified our plans. We're headed out March 2nd and coming back on March 10th. Flights we're expensive since the United 1-way only runs out of EWR on Saturdays. The ~$810 flight cost us 37.5k united mileageplus points, around 2.2 cents per point. A decent value if you ask me.

We've decided to stay in Teton Village in one of the Condo's on W Michael Drive. From the maps I've seen it is ski in/out via the Moose Creek Quad. For 4 of us in a Condo it'll be <$400 per night.

So now the question is... Corbet's Couloir? haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.