Wiki Posts
Search

South Dakota help

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
South Dakota help

I've got a bunch of things I want to see in SD in just a few days time. I'm looking for suggestions on how best to structure the trip (keeping driving to a minimum). In addition to what's metioned below, I want to visit the Minuteman Missle National Historical Site and possibly Jewel Cave. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I've never visited this area before. Thanks!

tentative schedule:

Sunday
-check out of hotel in Buffalo, WY
-drive to/visit Devil's Tower
-drive to hotel in Spearfish, SD
Monday
-drive to/visit Deadwood, SD
-attend Trial of Jack McCall
-drive to hotel in Rapid City, SD
Tuesday
-visit Mt. Rushmore
-visit Crazy Horse monument
-accomodations TBD
Wednesday
-visit Wind Cave
-camp in Badlands National Park
Thursday
-visit Badlands
-camp in Badlands National Park
Friday
-depart for home
Old May 19, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
That looks pretty good. Don't underestimate the distances between your stopping points, and allow time for unscheduled stops at cool roadside attractions, which the Custer / Black Hills / Rapid City area has in profusion: caves, cheesy reptile houses, the Cosmos Mystery Area, etc.

A few years ago my family and I rented an RV out of Custer for a week, hit many of the same spots, and had a great time. We drove a rough loop up to Devil's Tower, then east to Wall, then south through the grasslands to the state border, west through Wounded Knee to Badlands National Park, and back to Custer. This took about a week.

Wall Drug is something to see -- once. Mt. Rushmore is crowded and sort of an anticlimax. The Crazy Horse monument, a work in progress as you know, is easy to see... right off the highway. I really recommend looking a little further east and driving through the grasslands south of Wall if you can -- incredible vistas.

At the Devil's Tower KOA campground they show "Close Encounters" on a big outdoor screen each night in season.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Thanks. I'm going to try to map everything out to keep driving to a minimum. Will definitely make a stop at Wall Drug. Also, if anyone has a hotel recommendation for Buffalo, WY I'd appreciate it. I also need to figure out where to stay on Tuesday night -- any tips would be great.
Old May 19, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
We spent a little over a week in SD last fall. When in the Hill City, SD area (i.e. Mt. Rushmore, etc.) I'll make a couple of dining suggestions:

1) Alpine Inn. German food for lunch (never went,) but awesome dessert in the evening.
2) Slate Creek Grill. Great breakfast in a very casual atmosphere.

We did Albuquerque - Cheyenne, WY - Hill City, SD - Interior, SD (Badlands) and meandered back to Albuquerque. This thread from last year may have some helpful info... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...-sd-id-ut.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.