7 days - Vegas, Grand Canyon...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 days - Vegas, Grand Canyon...?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
And just to take the complete opposite tack from everyone...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'd spend my first day recovering in Vegas.

The second taking the aerial tour of the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas, saving a whole day spend in the car getting there....using the rest of the day for a half day visit to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead.

The third day I'd head Northwest, and explore Death Valley, spending the night in Mammoth Lakes in California.

The fourth day I'd slip into Yosemite "through the back way" which should have the aspen groves on the eastern Sierra in full autumnal colors, and stay the night in Yosemite Valley, which will be much less overrun with tourists being well after Labor Day.

The fifth day I'd drive South through the Sierra foothills ascending again to see Sequoia National Park, staying in Giant Forest.

The Sixth day, I'd head for LA staying somewhere in the Northern Suburbs like Castaic or Santa Clarita.

Last day to hit a few LA landmarks (Hollywood? Beach? Studio tour?) and then fly out from LAX.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

You'll miss the some of the spectacular deserts.....but include some of the most amazing mountains.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat HH Diamond
For Las Vegas visitors I might add a couple of suggestions:
1. Hotel room rates jump wildly. What might be $79 on Thursday, might be $179 or $279 on Friday/Saturday. Cheapest is always Sunday through Thursday, compared to Friday and Saturday nights.
2. The Las Vegas Review-Journal (the newspaper) does an annual reader survey called "The Best of Las Vegas" which might be helpful. Go to
www.LVRJ.com and then Entertainment and click The Best of Las Vegas on the drop-down screen
3. A private monthly publication by Anthony Curtis (about $45/yr) has a web site that offers a lot of free advice. Go to
www.lasvegasadvisor.com

Last edited by lvtrader; May 3, 2010 at 6:45 pm Reason: improved instructions to get to The Best of Las Vegas
Old May 6, 2010, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Phoenix isn't necessary or desirable as a stop, but Sedona could certainly be. It's just south of Flagstaff and absolutely gorgeous country.

Mon - Arrive LAS
Tue - Drive to Grand Canyon
Wed - Grand Canyon
Thu - Sedona, drive back to LAS
Fri - LAS
Sat - LAS
Sun - LAS-LAX (via flying/driving/etc.)
I highly suggest this itinerary. Be sure to allow a whole day for the drive to the Grand Canyon. You can actually stay overnight in Flagstaff on Tues and Wed night. If you feel like driving through Sedona on the way back to LAS, you definitely can visit "Red Rock Country". Another option is to drive through Prescott, which is more of an "Old West" town and was the capital of Arizona for many years before it became a state.

Forget Phoenix as it's too far from LAS.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:15 am

You actually have a few options not mentioned
1) You can fly direct from LA to Flagstaff- daily flights
2) You can fly direct from Vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim. This is a less than an hour flight and it is very scenic and narrated, when you get to S. Rim the tour they line up is very generic and there are not any rental cars available. I suggest googling "private grand canyon tour" and you should be able to find a company that will give you a great tour and be able to accommodate for your travel needs.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:22 am

Worst Idea possibl

Originally Posted by formeraa
I highly suggest this itinerary. Be sure to allow a whole day for the drive to the Grand Canyon. You can actually stay overnight in Flagstaff on Tues and Wed night. If you feel like driving through Sedona on the way back to LAS, you definitely can visit "Red Rock Country". Another option is to drive through Prescott, which is more of an "Old West" town and was the capital of Arizona for many years before it became a state.

Forget Phoenix as it's too far from LAS.
Actually driving from Vegas to Grand Canyon and back is the worst idea possible. That has got to be the most boring drive. Phoenix is closer to Grand Canyon than Las Vegas and the drive is much nicer. You see the drive from Vegas to Grand Canyon is in the Mojave Desert (very ugly desert), while the drive from Grand Canyon to Phoenix goes through high desert volcano ranges, and then into the Sonoran Desert which is known for its beauty.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:26 am

Check into direct flight from LA to Flagstaff. Flagstaff is only 1:15 from Grand Canyon. This will allow you optimal beach time
Old May 7, 2010, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Thanks for this, lots of food for thought!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.