Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

V Australia at LAX - Pax Forced on Airside Buses on Arrival?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AA, VX, VS, UA

Contemplating using VA on a LAX-SYD RT itinerary. By most accounts, the in-flight VA experience is very good, if not excellent. But something that might be a deciding factor is how arrivals are handled at LAX.

While all VA flights depart from the newly renovated T3 (used it on a VX flight recently and liked it), the VA website says all arrivals are at the Tom Bradley terminal. Does this mean the arriving VA aircraft park at TB or do they park at T3, meaning all pax must exit the aircraft down stairs, onto air buses and be shuttled to TB to be processed there?

I remember how awful a UA flight was after arriving at LAX from LHR and having to do that bus to TB ride. After a 12+ hour flight, believe me, it stinks. After that experience I avoided UA until they got their own customs/immigration facility at their terminal.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Culrain
Contemplating using VA on a LAX-SYD RT itinerary. By most accounts, the in-flight VA experience is very good, if not excellent. But something that might be a deciding factor is how arrivals are handled at LAX.

While all VA flights depart from the newly renovated T3 (used it on a VX flight recently and liked it), the VA website says all arrivals are at the Tom Bradley terminal. Does this mean the arriving VA aircraft park at TB or do they park at T3, meaning all pax must exit the aircraft down stairs, onto air buses and be shuttled to TB to be processed there?

I remember how awful a UA flight was after arriving at LAX from LHR and having to do that bus to TB ride. After a 12+ hour flight, believe me, it stinks. After that experience I avoided UA until they got their own customs/immigration facility at their terminal.
Can't help you directly with the bussing question for V Australia, but I can say that bussing of passengers arriving at TBIT can happen on any carrier arriving at a peak period. I've experienced this with two airlines who also depart from TBIT.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
All arriving VA longhauls gate at TBIT, not T3. Luck of the draw whether you get a jetway or have to wait for a bus. If the latter it is a horrible welcome to the US and you have not even reached the disastrous and oversubscribed immigation / customs hall yet. If at all possible come home via SFO instead.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by House
Can't help you directly with the bussing question for V Australia, but I can say that bussing of passengers arriving at TBIT can happen on any carrier arriving at a peak period. I've experienced this with two airlines who also depart from TBIT.
While it is true bussing it is a possibility with any airline (it happened to me on a VS flight one time because an AF jet was hogging the gate), I'd rather fly with a carrier where that is only a small possibility as opposed to a 100% guarantee.

Originally Posted by BearX220
All arriving VA longhauls gate at TBIT, not T3. Luck of the draw whether you get a jetway or have to wait for a bus. If the latter it is a horrible welcome to the US and you have not even reached the disastrous and oversubscribed immigation / customs hall yet. If at all possible come home via SFO instead.
I recall when UA finally got a customs/immigration facility in T6, they took out full page ads in the LA Times with gigantic metal crane claws crushing an airside bus. They knew how hated they were.

Good to know VA gates at TBIT (They actually move the jets to T3 for departures?) TBIT real estate is very popular and odds don't seem good in getting a jetway.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 100K, QF Gold, SPG Platinum 100, Hilton HHonours Diamond
I've flown it twice, once from BNE and one SYD. Arrived at TBIT through a jetway, no bus. Customs was a breeze, there were 10 agents waiting with no lines... Must of lucked out. Somewhat disapointed about the quality of T3, its showing its age and lack of selection of shops and food.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Culrain
They actually move the jets to T3 for departures?
Yes -- common practice. Alaska Airlines also does this; incoming flights from Mexico unload at TBIT, then the aircraft have to be towed over to T3 for onward northbound sectors. As the real estate is tight anyway and a lot of these movements occur at rush hour with multi heavies trying to push back and get out of there, it's a real rat's nest from a ground controller's point of view. But T3 has no customs / immigration (unlike T2, where VS gates and you can get out of THERE in about 15 minutes much of the time!) and probably won't ever get any.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks BearX220 and WannaFlyJ. That gives me some assurance that at least VA intends to use a geted jetway for pax on LAX arrival.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
Alaska Airlines also does this; incoming flights from Mexico unload at TBIT, then the aircraft have to be towed over to T3 for onward northbound sectors.
In my experience with Alaska, they actually pull into T3, but stop short of the gate. Then they deplane everyone, you board that horrible bus, then it takes you to the Bradley terminal. Towing it into T3 is like a 50 foot journey for the plane. I avoid Alaska and other "bus carriers" for this purpose -- those buses are horrible. What good is "premium" elite seating in the front of the plane when you end up having to board a bus after landing, allowing everyone and their brother to get ahead of you at customs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.