Wiki Posts
Search

How is V Australia Doing So Far?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by weero
luggage limits
Gold's get 32kg, Silver/Flex 23KG and all others have the option to get 23KG for $8.

nasty-funny FAs who always interrupt you
I am yet to be interrupted by a DJ FA. I also haven't come across any nasty ones...

no luggage transfers/interlining[/list]
They interline with
-Emirates
-Thai
-Hawaiian
-United Airlines
- Malaysia Airlines
-V Australia
- Pacific Blue

They also do luggage transfers... in fact at SYD international Virgin Blue have a transfer desk for these connections.

As for the loyalty program, most fo the redemption rates are lower than the equivalent on QF.
Old May 27, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Gold's get 32kg, Silver/Flex 23KG and all others have the option to get 23KG for $8.
Yes but on QF domestic, you can book as many bags as you want for a nominal fee. I traveled with more than 180kg on QF - delicious!
They interline with
-Emirates
-Thai
-Hawaiian
-United Airlines
- Malaysia Airlines
-V Australia
- Pacific Blue
My two attempts to have my luggage transferred onwards to UA have all been turned down by DJ, never by QF. This led me not to touch DJ in two years now.
As for the loyalty program, most fo the redemption rates are lower than the equivalent on QF.
Yes, QF FF is a joke. As I remarked above.
Old May 27, 2009, 3:00 pm

Yes but on QF domestic, you can book as many bags as you want for a nominal fee. I traveled with more than 180kg on QF - delicious!
QF charges $10 per KG over 23kg. Virgin's rates are $8 per kg, so not sure what your comparison is???

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...gageCheckedNew

As for interlining, when was the last time you tried? Were you on seperate tickets or a single PNR? If on seperate tickets, then they won't through check you.
Old May 27, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: FB Ivory,Velocity Red, Qantas Bronze
I actually find Virgin Blue's FFP to be one of the better out there.

The earnings and redemption rules are all very clear, and directly linked to the total fares paid.
That's more than what can be said about a lot of other programs out there, judging from all the complaints that can be seen here in the different forums on FT.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by marcopolo-ken
It is extremely rare but it can happen. My wife and I flew VA from LAX-SYD in April and we tried to get an upgrade since the flight was less than half full. We were in Y+ and the only to get into J was if you paid the fare difference. I was willing to do it, but was told that it had to be done at least 3 hours prior to departure. My wife is pregnant and we bought the tickets before we found out so I wanted her to be more comfortable on such a long flight. Anyway, they called the supervisor over and she was EXTREMELY nice and gave us a complimentary upgrade to J. No such luck on the way back though, but Y+ was pretty comfortable anyway.
Very cool regarding the upgrades to J ^. Thanks for the info.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: ANZ G; QF G; DJ S
QF charges $10 per KG over 23kg. Virgin's rates are $8 per kg, so not sure what your comparison is???

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...gageCheckedNew

As for interlining, when was the last time you tried? Were you on seperate tickets or a single PNR? If on seperate tickets, then they won't through check you.
Hi AN_Boy. Thank you. I was going to reply to Weero with exactly the same points you made. Particularly as regards the FAs, he must have been travelling on a different DJ in some parallel universe.

But as for the interlining part, I think the arrangement with UA has been quietly dropped since the advent of VA, as the UA logo doesn't appear anymore on the map page in the Voyeur in-flight mag. All the other carriers are there, but not UA.

Last edited by Starbear; May 30, 2009 at 8:37 pm Reason: Typos
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I am yet to be interrupted by a DJ FA. I also haven't come across any nasty ones...
Well I certainly have, AN_Boy.

A lazier, more obnoxious bunch of FA's you couldn't hope to meet (well, maybe apart from on UA).

They are selected on their ability to inhabit the Big brother house, rather than any semblance of customer service.

It's the Virgin Blue way, courtesy of Brett Godfrey, the MD.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Any updates on the midweek loads on V Australia? We're heading out next tuesday LAX-SYD.

We've got a sunday flight BNE-LAX.

Thanks,

Onedog
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:33 am

loads seem to be running 60-65% in the past week or so.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:45 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I have travelled extensively on DJ and never had a FA who was less than outstanding.

Once at check in - we got directed to a SV to process us, the line persons was doing their best to speed up the line.

The SV - snapped - no more customers for me for a while - on the radio - then apologised to us - made sure we were not on a flight that was about to close - closed a couple of flights - then checked us in. It was Friday evening - you could see she was busy as - but recovered really quickly.

Velocity is a great FF program - I benefit every time I fly with great seat allocations - something QF is cutting back on from the last report I read for Plats .

DJ and VA wins out in this market for me everytime.

Maybe werro - had too much grumpy tea before he flew!!!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
loads seem to be running 60-65% in the past week or so.
If we have light loads during our flights, is it better to have a seat towards the back of the plane so we have a better chance for an open seats nearby? I am traveling with the youngin's (8 & 6 yo) and I'm hoping for an open seat so they can stretch out and catch a bit of sleep.

Thanks,

Onedog
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:24 pm

I flew V Australia from LA to Sydney on June 19th and then back on the 28th and the flight was probably at 80% capacity on the way out. On the way back, it was slammed full. I don't think there was a single empty seat.

Oddly enough, I slept better on the full flight than I did on the empty one. LOL!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by adampenrith
I have travelled extensively on DJ and never had a FA who was less than outstanding.
Well, adam, I guess that's the view from Penrith. Not sure how you define outstanding.

I'ts certainly not mine, though.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Budley
Well, adam, I guess that's the view from Penrith. .
Whatever the view is from Penrith they seem to be doing something right. They were gaining pax in May whilst there competitors (QF, JQ) were losing pax.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
There's an article in the current issue of Australian Aviation magazine (picked it up in SYD last week) which quotes an in-country aviation analyst as predicting LAX-SYD market share by the end of 2009 will parcel out as follows: QF, 50 percent, UA and VA, 21 percent each; DL, 8 percent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.