Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is V Australia Doing So Far?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:28 am
Original Poster

How is V Australia Doing So Far?

Is it just us, or is our review of the V Australia the most comprehensive? It’s probably just us, so that’s why we went out exploring to see what other people are thinking about the newest airline down under.

It seems to be a success so far, no major complaints, and best of all—it’s causing other airlines to finally lower prices. Maybe we’ll get to go back to Australia in 2009 after all.

One FlyerTalk user was on the first flight from Sydney to Los Angeles and shares some in-flight observations. It seems that this person feels that V Australia can definitely be considered a worthy competitor to Qantas:

V Australia has the "cool" factor common to all Virgin Group airlines, new state of the art aircraft, very enthusiastic if as-yet-inexperienced FA's and perhaps a touch more comfortable seating. An added plus to some is that it's not Qantas -- whose safety record of late hasn't been quite as good as in the past. Virgin Blue's Velocity FF members can earn points on it.

Up in the air things seemed to go pretty well, but fans of Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts may have quickly dismissed the new airline:

The plane is new, resulting in a few glitches like isolated hung seatback entertainment consoles and mood lighting in one cabin not being in sync with the rest of the plane for a while. And the service is new enough that there are still a few kinks, such as no coffee available on that flight due to the supplier having loaded "the wrong kind of coffee", whatever that might mean! I don't think I saw ONE of them taking a break over the entire 12 hour flight, so kudos to them for doing a credible job under demanding, somewhat high-pressure circumstances.

Overall, this line pretty much sums up what we think V Australia is going for:

...if you want the trendiest, "hippest" non-stop flight experience between Australia and the US, V Australia is it, for sure

Over on a Australian Frequent Flyer forum, another user shares yet another pretty positive experience.

This was one of the highlights of the flight. Each seat contained a copy of “View - your V Australia inside guide to inflight entertainment” which introduces you to Red, the easy to use Panasonic touch screen system. With movies, TV releases, music & music video and a great selection of games (both single and multi-players) there is alot to keep even the fussiest passenger entertained. You can also “talk” to other passengers either seat to seat or via a chatroom using the keyboard on the handset control. There’s also and in-seat USB port but unfortunately the computer power available in every seat advertised on V Australia’s website is incorrect as it is only for premium economy and business class passengers.

These long haul flights definitely can make even the most experienced traveler hungry. No matter if you're a window or an aisle, eventually the M&Ms won't cut it, and you are going to need some grub. We're just glad that the plastic forks were easy to use, we hate those tricky ones:

The dinner service was extremely slow and disorganised (but hey, it’s a new airline and they had to iron out the glitches!) Service commenced before 6pm and we were finally served at 6.40pm. I don’t know when the last passengers ate. By the time we were served they had run out of the vegetarian option and the corned beef seemed the least popular. Dinner was surprisingly good with the menu listed on the IFE screen. The plastic cutlery was of good quality and easy to use.

We'll continue to keep our eyes and ears open to keep tabs on V Australia, but we're thinking that there'll only be good news from down under.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I just got back from Sydney and loved V Australia. Could not recommend them enough. The employees and coach product are excellent. Made the long flights totally bearable.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: QFF
With VA and soon DL on the AU-US route, how much longer is UA going to last?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Here is their new tv ad

http://www.youtube.com/profile?v=nym...=flyVAustralia

Very cool!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:21 pm

My wife and I did the LAX-BNE run on AP 13 out, back on AP 22. The new 777 was great, the service was very good for a new crew. The loads were very light. I question if the BNE service will make it. We were in E+ (great product at great price). Biz class was 5 or 6 sold seats/E+ was 10-12 seats sold/E was about 90 seats out bound and maybe 135 seats return. IFE was very good. We will not talk about the food quality....the snack chips saved me....
Scott
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:41 pm

I always thought it strange they decided to do BNE-LAX ahead of MEL-LAX...
Old May 4, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by zz7777zz
My wife and I did the LAX-BNE run on AP 13 out, back on AP 22. The new 777 was great, the service was very good for a new crew. The loads were very light. I question if the BNE service will make it. We were in E+ (great product at great price). Biz class was 5 or 6 sold seats/E+ was 10-12 seats sold/E was about 90 seats out bound and maybe 135 seats return. IFE was very good. We will not talk about the food quality....the snack chips saved me....
Scott
Virgin in flight food is appalling at best...that was upper class on VS for me..God help those in Y- seems as though V Australia is skimping out on the food too.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Virgin in flight food is appalling at best...that was upper class on VS for me..God help those in Y- seems as though V Australia is skimping out on the food too.
I don't know what you guys are talking about but I thought the food was delish! And my buddy, being the human food compactor that he is, asked for seconds, and in true Aussie fashion was told "no worries!" and 5 minutes later was polishing off a 2nd dinner.
Old May 14, 2009, 4:23 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
No!!!! MEL needs those UA flights! But having another international carrier in generally nice I imagine one day that MEL's international Terminal would be all full! including the new area! then it would trully look like an international airport!
Old May 19, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I thought the Y food on V Australia was quite excellent. The Thai beef and chicken and leek casserole were both tasty, as were the breakfasts.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:44 am

Does V Australia offer upgrades at checkin or at the gate? Has anyone experienced such a thing?

Thanks.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
That is a surprise to me.

On DJ food is the one single thing that is not disgusting.

DJ's existence also is the one single argument that will most likely keep me from every trying VS or VA.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:11 pm

Whats wrong with DJ?
Old May 26, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Whats wrong with DJ?
  • luggage limits
  • nasty-funny FAs who always interrupt you
  • no luggage transfers/interlining
  • grotesque loyalty program ... ok that one they share with QF
Old May 26, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Does V Australia offer upgrades at checkin or at the gate? Has anyone experienced such a thing?

Thanks.

It is extremely rare but it can happen. My wife and I flew VA from LAX-SYD in April and we tried to get an upgrade since the flight was less than half full. We were in Y+ and the only to get into J was if you paid the fare difference. I was willing to do it, but was told that it had to be done at least 3 hours prior to departure. My wife is pregnant and we bought the tickets before we found out so I wanted her to be more comfortable on such a long flight. Anyway, they called the supervisor over and she was EXTREMELY nice and gave us a complimentary upgrade to J. No such luck on the way back though, but Y+ was pretty comfortable anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.