Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia takes flight with United Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From VA Newsroom (14 Dec 21)--->Virgin Australia takes flight with United Airlines
  • Virgin Australia Group will partner with United Airlines from April 2022, tripling the number of U.S. cities Virgin Australia customers can reach, while providing United customers seamless connectivity to Australia’s most popular destinations.
  • United Airlines will offer Virgin Australia customers more non-stop flights from Australia, and 92 seamless one-stop connections to points across the USA.
  • Members of Virgin Australia’s Velocity Frequent Flyer loyalty program will have the ability to earn Points, Status Credits and receive tier benefits when travelling on United’s extensive services.
  • Virgin Australia and United Airlines to offer reciprocal lounge access.
Tuesday 14 December 2021: Virgin Australia Group has today announced a new partnership with United Airlines that will triple the airline’s reach into the Americas, with customers to access more destinations and more benefits when travelling to cities across the United States, Mexico, the Caribbean and South America.

Commencing in April 2022, the partnership will establish codeshare co-operation, as well as reciprocal loyalty benefits for Velocity Frequent Flyer members to earn, redeem and receive tier benefits when travelling on United’s vast domestic and international network, connecting from the carrier’s multiple Australian gateways.

The partnership will also extend United’s large Australian presence, as the airline offering more flights to Australia than any other U.S. carrier, including daily direct flights from San Francisco and Los Angeles to Sydney, with flights from Houston and direct services to Melbourne expected to resume later in 2022. Under this new partnership United’s customers will now have seamless access to top Australian cities right across the country through Virgin Australia’s extensive domestic network.
<snip>
Velocity and Mileage-Plus tier benefits
Eligible Velocity and MileagePlus members will receive the following benefits when travelling on Virgin Australia and United services worldwide:
  • Priority check-in
  • Priority boarding
  • Priority baggage delivery and additional baggage check allowance
  • Priority security clearance
  • Lounge access
<snip>
From VA Newsroom (14 Dec 21) --->Virgin Australia thanks Delta Air Lines

VA long haul to USA now even further in the future, if at all.
UA have sold VA tag on flights to the USA-->AU long haul flights
And VA closer to the Star Alliance?

TravExec AU--->Virgin Australia ditches Delta for new United Airlines partnership

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 13, 2021 at 2:58 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
This is pretty shocking. I thought the VA relationship with DL was pretty strong. Obviously without VA international fights it does make more sense to partner with UA. But it happened pretty quickly... They had just re-instated DL redemptions (and I booked a DL flight two days ago!)
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:32 pm

Virgin Australia thanks Delta Airlines - please shut the door on your way out.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From UA https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...australia.html
MileagePlus members can earn award miles on eligible Virgin Australia flights. To receive mileage credit, present your MileagePlus number when you make reservations and make sure that it appears on your boarding pass at check-in. Also, MileagePlus members receive the following benefits on Virgin Australia-operated flights:

For flights flown on and after May 23, 2022
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K®: members are eligible for priority check-in, boarding and security clearance where available
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K®: members receive one additional complimentary checked bag 1
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K®: members are eligible for access to Virgin Australia operated lounges

Earning miles on Virgin Australia flights
If your ticket was purchased directly from united.com, by calling the United Customer Contact Center (including a United specialty desk, such as United Groups, United Meetings or the Premier Priority Desk), from a United representative at the airport, or through a United ticket office, you'll earn miles based on the fare 2, 3 and your MileagePlus status. Please reference the "Ticket number starts with 016" section below.4Otherwise, you should reference the "Ticket number does not start with 016" section.5 You'll earn miles based on flight distance6 and the purchased fare class and/or fare class flown.7

If you don't know how your ticket was purchased, in most cases your ticket number can be found on your confirmation email or receipt
So guess the same for VA freq flyers on UA
Old May 10, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
It would appear that you can't earn United PQD (Premier Qualifying Dollars = status) on VA?

I'm in a bit of a pickle, since I'm VA Platinum and UA 1K... I would love to keep UA 1K for the PlusPoint upgrades but I can't see how to achieve the 15,000 PQD required to retain 1K. So maybe I just focus on VA Platinum ... I was thinking I could earn United PQDs by crediting my Virgin flights to United but it would seem this is a no-go...?
Old May 10, 2022, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
It would appear that you can't earn United PQD (Premier Qualifying Dollars = status) on VA?

I'm in a bit of a pickle, since I'm VA Platinum and UA 1K... I would love to keep UA 1K for the PlusPoint upgrades but I can't see how to achieve the 15,000 PQD required to retain 1K. So maybe I just focus on VA Platinum ... I was thinking I could earn United PQDs by crediting my Virgin flights to United but it would seem this is a no-go...?
Earning status on non alliance ff partner native flights is not common. With Star Alliance ff earning is based on operating carrier with an eligible marketing carrier (flight number). So even a UA marketed VA operated flight would be problematic for status earning.

From the VA Qatar email
Update on United Airlines
I’m also pleased to confirm that our new partnership with United Airlines will commence in two weeks on Tuesday 24 May 2022. We appreciate your patience as we’ve worked to connect our IT systems over the past few months, and we look forward to sharing detailed information about your benefits shortly.
So need to wait until 24 May (AU time) / 23 May (USA time) for full fine details?
Old May 11, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I think you're correct Mwenenzi ... it'll be interesting to see what the reciprocal arrangement is with VA. I'm pretty sure we used to earn Status Credits for DL flights? Or am I misremembering that? The only grey matter ain't what it used to be!
Old May 11, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
I think you're correct Mwenenzi ... it'll be interesting to see what the reciprocal arrangement is with VA. I'm pretty sure we used to earn Status Credits for DL flights? Or am I misremembering that? The only grey matter ain't what it used to be!
Yes, you could earn VA status credits flying DL, and vice versa. Same with SQ, EY, and NZ when they were a VA partner.

I'd probably disagree with Mwenenzi and say that close non-alliance partnerships normally include reciprocal status earning. Emphasis on close partnerships.

I am sure that there will be some way to earn UA status via flying VA. I don't know enough about UA's program now to say how that might work (I was last a 1K in 2008). Now that $$ spend is a factor, it is more complex how they handle other carriers and other currencies.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Yes, you could earn VA status credits flying DL, and vice versa. Same with SQ, EY, and NZ when they were a VA partner.
Not the same with SQ, it was never reciprocal, you could VA status credits flying SQ - either SQ or VA marketed, but could only earn SQ KF Elite miles when flying on an SQ code, when operated by VA. IIRC, DL MQMs etc could be earnt even on VA coded flights (could be wrong).
Old May 11, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Not the same with SQ, it was never reciprocal, you could VA status credits flying SQ - either SQ or VA marketed, but could only earn SQ KF Elite miles when flying on an SQ code, when operated by VA. IIRC, DL MQMs etc could be earnt even on VA coded flights (could be wrong).
Thanks for the correction. I'd earned VA status credits on SQ so I assumed it was reciprocal.

DL definitely was reciprocal, I earned DL MQM, MQD on VA coded fights most definitely.

EY was also reciprocal. I guess besides being wrong about SQ, I could be wrong about NZ, not sure. But for all four I could earn VA status credits....
lokijuh likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Thanks for the correction. I'd earned VA status credits on SQ so I assumed it was reciprocal.

DL definitely was reciprocal, I earned DL MQM, MQD on VA coded fights most definitely.

EY was also reciprocal. I guess besides being wrong about SQ, I could be wrong about NZ, not sure. But for all four I could earn VA status credits....
I think the difference is though that VA isn't part of any alliance - they just partnered with several international airlines all of which were their "alliance" and qualifying for elite earning. The partners in the main had their alliances which allowed elite earning on alliance partners but VA was never a part of those so by and large VA flights were not elite earners for them.
VA needed international partners that allowed elite qualification to compete in some way with QF

On another point - is the UA lounge access for VA elites when flying a UA domestic flight restricted to those connecting to an international flight like the restriction added to the DL partnership when it was in its death throws?
Old May 12, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
On another point - is the UA lounge access for VA elites when flying a UA domestic flight restricted to those connecting to an international flight like the restriction added to the DL partnership when it was in its death throws?
I guess wait and see. The hope is that UA lounge access will be based on the same rules that it has with those who hold status with UA's star alliance partners which, except for UA status holders themselves, allows star gold members lounge access on domestic itineraries. (Whereas DL does not grant the same to Skyteam partners, and in the last few months VA either).
Old May 12, 2022, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I think the difference is though that VA isn't part of any alliance - they just partnered with several international airlines all of which were their "alliance" and qualifying for elite earning. The partners in the main had their alliances which allowed elite earning on alliance partners but VA was never a part of those so by and large VA flights were not elite earners for them.
Personally I don't think that was a major factor. The partners that VA members could earn status on were more often than not reciprocal. So it's not true that 'by and large' VA flights weren't earners for them (if their flights were earners for VA). But it is true that those airlines have large agreements to share status earning already with their alliances. It's all speculation either way, just my opinion.

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I guess wait and see. The hope is that UA lounge access will be based on the same rules that it has with those who hold status with UA's star alliance partners which, except for UA status holders themselves, allows star gold members lounge access on domestic itineraries. (Whereas DL does not grant the same to Skyteam partners, and in the last few months VA either).
I read in one of the airline blogs that UA members will have VA lounge access on AU domestic itineraries. But unfortunately, VA elites cannot access UA lounges on US domestic itineraries.

In addition, VA members can only access UA-run lounges. Which means no lounge access for any AU international departures either. A big devaluation over the DL arrangement (at least pre-2021). It sure would be nice if UA could strike a deal with SQ so that VA members could access the SQ lounges too....
Old May 12, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: VS Flying Club, UA Mileage Plus
This is posted on the Velocity Site now:

United Airlines joining the Velocity Program

Effective 24 May 2022, United Airlines will be a new Velocity Program Partner. Points and Status Credit earn on United Airlines will commence for flights taken on/after 24 May 2022. The ability to book Reward seats on United Airlines will likewise commence 24 May 2022.

Access to United Airlines Owned and Operated Lounges

Commencing 24 May 2022.

Domestic lounge access into United Airlines owned and operated lounges within the USA is only available to Platinum and Gold Velocity members in conjunction with an International journey, where both flight sectors are booked on a single ticket. Lounge access is not available where a Velocity member is holding a domestic flight and an international flight on separate tickets.

International lounge access into United Airlines owned and operated lounges is only available to Platinum and Gold Velocity members in conjunction with an international same day boarding pass. Access to 3rd party lounges (e.g. Star Alliance owned and operated) lounges is currently not included in your ticket unless you travel in Business Class on a United Airlines operated flight.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:11 pm

The lounge restrictions are disappointing.

There are no UA operated lounges in Australia, so departing Australia offers no lounge access. Also, restricting it to a journey 'on one ticket' makes things difficult; I have more than once found that VA doesn't offer a ticketing option from certain AU-US city pairs, or it is many times the price of two bookings. I'm sure this wouldn't be a large amount of lounge traffic, and they'd all be elites flying an international ticket anyway, why not just accommodate them.

I also dislike the lack of domestic flight UA lounge access, but I can also kind of understand it. But surely VA should at least find a way to let their elites get lounge access when leaving Australia.

I would have considered switching to UA from Delta if this was a program equivalent to the old DL/VA relationship. But it's a far cry from it. I think I'll stick to DL in the USA and fly QF more in the future (I hold status in both). I guess this is the beginning of the end for my VA status...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.