FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia takes flight with United Airlines
Old May 10, 2022, 10:01 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
It would appear that you can't earn United PQD (Premier Qualifying Dollars = status) on VA?

I'm in a bit of a pickle, since I'm VA Platinum and UA 1K... I would love to keep UA 1K for the PlusPoint upgrades but I can't see how to achieve the 15,000 PQD required to retain 1K. So maybe I just focus on VA Platinum ... I was thinking I could earn United PQDs by crediting my Virgin flights to United but it would seem this is a no-go...?
Earning status on non alliance ff partner native flights is not common. With Star Alliance ff earning is based on operating carrier with an eligible marketing carrier (flight number). So even a UA marketed VA operated flight would be problematic for status earning.

From the VA Qatar email
Update on United Airlines
I’m also pleased to confirm that our new partnership with United Airlines will commence in two weeks on Tuesday 24 May 2022. We appreciate your patience as we’ve worked to connect our IT systems over the past few months, and we look forward to sharing detailed information about your benefits shortly.
So need to wait until 24 May (AU time) / 23 May (USA time) for full fine details?