Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

velocity to krisflyer transfer....coming back??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2021, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have any Intel on this?
I can appreciate that as virgin is under new ownership new deals need to be made with SIA.
I'm sure we probably won't see the 1:1.55 exchange rate but really want to know if my stack of 500k velocity points are going to be any use for international travel in the future.
Do I burn them on domestic redemptions or hold out for redemptions on SIA?

Will happily take unqualified guess work and/or witty banter at this point!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:40 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Does VA make money in the transfer? If so they'll bring it back. If not, then no. </unqualified banter>
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by shuuy
Does VA make money in the transfer? If so they'll bring it back. If not, then no. </unqualified banter>
Perhaps it'll come back but with a worse exchange rate.

I don't think this arrangement was making them money because they'd have to pay SQ for the points but possibly the amount they were paying SQ for the points was less than the liability of those points on the company (remembering Velocity is a separate company).
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henrus
...than the liability of those points on the company (remembering Velocity is a separate company).
In hindsight not the best use of VA's cash/overdraft-loans

16 Sept 2019 -->Virgin Australia to buy back full ownership of Velocity Frequent Flyer
Virgin will spend $700 million to buy back a 35% private equity stake in its Velocity loyalty scheme.

Virgin Australia plans to reclaim full ownership of its Velocity Frequent Flyer scheme by purchasing the 35% stake of Affinity Equity Partners, which bought into the program in 2014 for A$335 million but is now looking to offload its share.
<snip>
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:30 pm

Hello...I came here looking info about this.
There's any update about the possibility of transferring points from Virgin Velocity to KrisFlyer program and at what rate?

thanks in advance

Last edited by Sonny84; Sep 13, 2022 at 1:48 pm
Old Sep 13, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
It was restored a few months ago. 1.55:1 conversion rate either way, but you can also redeem for SQ through VA (or QR, EY and UA among others) which reduce the need to do conversions.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by MELso
It was restored a few months ago. 1.55:1 conversion rate either way, but you can also redeem for SQ through VA (or QR, EY and UA among others) which reduce the need to do conversions.
Thank you @MELso
I read Velocity will start on October to charge a fee over SQ award tickets =S
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Originally Posted by Sonny84
Thank you @MELso
I read Velocity will start on October to charge a fee over SQ award tickets =S
https://www.australianfrequentflyer....pore-airlines/ - coming from 5/10 but you're still probably better off paying the charge than converting points unless you accrue plenty of points on Krisflyer...
Sonny84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.