Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Explaining codeshare Virgin/Delta flight numbers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin, Qantas, Shangri La Hotels, Hilton Hotels

I pre-booked a limo at DTW (Detroit in Wayne County) to take me into Downtown Detroit before leaving Australia. It was a YSSY > DTW via LAX flight. There was no limo on my arrival and a phone call to the limo provider garnered the response, "Bad flight number".

I had used the Virgin flight number given to me at the time of booking and paying for the flight. So, it appears I needed to provide the limo company with the Delta flight number, not Virgin, although it's the same plane and flight.

The limo company did nothing to confirm with the airline/s which plane I was on or try to contact/message me. They simply left me stranded at DTW, 40 miles (65km) from the city centre, late at night, with no driver.

So, how do I cross-reference these flight share codes? Next time I'll give both numbers to the driver, or just the Delta. This procedure should be easy enough. But it wasn't.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
if nothing else, do a search on Delta.com for the exact same segment. It should come up with the actual DL code.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duograph B15507
So, how do I cross-reference these flight share codes? Next time I'll give both numbers to the driver, or just the Delta. This procedure should be easy enough. But it wasn't.
At times it can be hard to find the prime/codeshare flight numbers.
If you google the flight number some of the tracker sites will show the codeshares.
Example
For VA1 = https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-tracker/VA/1
This Flight Also Marketed As
Codeshare Airline
Delta Air Lines (DL) 6799
Virgin Atlantic (VS) 7701
For DL6799 https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-tracker/DL/6799
DL 6799 Delta Air Lines
SYD Sydney LAX Los Angeles
Operated by Virgin Australia 1
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Poor service from the limo company indeed, although I don't think you can really be 'stranded' at DTW, you can always take a taxi.

Next time just give them the operating carrier flight number, that should be the one they need. I don't think this was your fault at all though, the limo company should have been able to figure this out. Thanks for posting, maybe someone can learn from your poor experience.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Duograph B15507
I pre-booked a limo at DTW (Detroit in Wayne County) to take me into Downtown Detroit before leaving Australia. It was a YSSY > DTW via LAX flight. There was no limo on my arrival and a phone call to the limo provider garnered the response, "Bad flight number".

I had used the Virgin flight number given to me at the time of booking and paying for the flight. So, it appears I needed to provide the limo company with the Delta flight number, not Virgin, although it's the same plane and flight.

The limo company did nothing to confirm with the airline/s which plane I was on or try to contact/message me. They simply left me stranded at DTW, 40 miles (65km) from the city centre, late at night, with no driver.

VA publishes the codeshare flight number underneath their flight number so it will be DL**** on the booking form.

Poor form by the limo company as DTW publishes the codeshare number. I'm guessing they saw VA and thought it was Virgin America and couldn't find any flights.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin, Qantas, Shangri La Hotels, Hilton Hotels
Thanks for the comments so far.

Yes, the limo provider was slack and gave up trying at the first sign of any difficulty. It also slowed my arrival into Downtown Detroit which made my AirBnB host angry, given the late hour.

Indeed the limo company may have thought a VA flight number meant Virgin America or Virgin Atlantic, who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.