Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Can I use my velocity points to upgrade non-status flyers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite

Hi guys. I've got a bunch of velocity points in my account. Before my gold membership expires next year (unsure if I'll fly with VA again and reach gold) I'm thinking of gifting a bunch to family/friends if possible for long-haul upgrades. My question: is it possible to do this if I'm not also on the booking? For example, can I upgrade my mother & father who are flying to the USA if I'm not also on the booking? And can I confirm the upgrades immediately if space is available (currently with Air NZ flights I can put in upgrades for them, but unless I'm on the same ticket they can't have confirmed upgrades). Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You cannot use your points to upgrade others. You can transfer your points to them, and they can use the points to upgrade domestic and short-haul international flights. Unfortunately only Gold and Plat members can upgrade international flights.

Transfer points info:
https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...ansfer-points/

Upgrade with points info:
https://experience.velocityfrequentf...grademe-points

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 31, 2018 at 8:38 pm Reason: Removed response to deleted
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I did attempt to google this and couldn't find an answer. I thought that I would find the most updated, most accurate information by asking on here. It's a slow forum anyway, what is the harm in asking a question and adding in some activity? I'm also currently traveling and so could not call VA, funnily enough. Sorry for being curious/talkative.
l etoile and CPMaverick like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:45 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
. Sorry for being curious/talkative.
No apologies needed, some members like to be keyboard warriors, ignore them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.