Search

A missing points success story - sorta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA - Platinum
A missing points success story - sorta

Hey folks

Thought I would share what I consider a mild success story in claiming some missing points... just in case anyone else has found themselves in the same situation and have given up hope.

So I went on a return trip from MEL-AUH-LHR on EY in June/July this year.

Although it wasn't a mileage run, I was certainly excited to see the effect that it would have on my Velocity account. I have had trouble in the past with getting points with Delta and other VA partners, heck I have even had trouble with getting my points on VA flights, so I knew I was in for a possible struggle in getting points.

After recent experience, I know that providing my account number when I book or check-in isn't always enough for Velocity... To be safe I made sure I took quick photos of my boarding passes.

I waited the requisite time for my partner airline points to be posted - and as I kind of expected - nothing happened. So I quickly shot off a friendly email asking for my points to be added along with the EY emails and pictures of BPs required to back up my claim. As expected, nothing continued to happen. At the end of the six weeks I got a polite and brief email telling me that my claim for points was denied.

What went wrong? I had decided to pay for upgrades from Y to J for three of the four sectors. (My first long haul J-experience... loved it! also my first J-class lounge experience.... loved that as well!)

I was told that as a result of the upgrades I was not eligible for any points as the upgraded tickets fell into a class that didn't accrue points.

At first I was pretty ready to accept their determination as it kind of made sense. But I quickly realised that one leg, MEL-AUH had been on my original Y-class ticket and that should certainly have accrued some points. So I sent them a follow up email, asking them to review the decision. FWIW, I also pointed out in my email that I had deliberately flown EY in the hope of accruing points and that I was pretty disappointed in the outcome - I was polite but I told them that I was really hopeful that they would review their decision.

Within a couple of days I got the outcome I was hoping for all along - I got points for all of the sectors flown. From what I can tell I got points calculated for Y-class flights - which is more than fine by me! Now I am not sure if I got the points because their original response was wrong, or if I got the points because someone took pity on my sob story - but for me the moral of the story is that polite nagging seems to get you somewhere with Velocity.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
If you pay for Y and use points to upgrade to J you should earn points and status credits per your Y fare bucket. If this does not credit (and this happens with many airlines worldwide) then you need to chase them up.

Well done for chasing, but VA/EY were at fault. I have flown VA/EY Aus-Europe on a standard paid fare and several times the points did not credit, so I think there are issues between VA and EY's systems in any case.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Originally Posted by wyvern
I have flown VA/EY Aus-Europe on a standard paid fare and several times the points did not credit, so I think there are issues between VA and EY's systems in any case.
I can vouch for the issues with the VA & EY systems for crediting points.

My daughter recently flew from CDG-AUH-SYD on an EY ticket with the AUH-SYD flight operated by VA. Her Velocity points for the CDG-AUH flight on EY came through within a matter of days yet she's still waiting for the points for the EY-ticketed VA flight.

She has submitted a retro claim and is still waiting
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:41 pm

My uncle has been waiting for 7 months on a retro claim from EY on his Velocity account. Nothing yet. 3 emails sent so far without any reply. He lost hope.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:05 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I had only limited and slow success with the retro credit department and the gold line, but full success after contacting the then VA official company rep on another forum. He now works at Qantas, but perhaps contacting VA through fora or social media or direct to head office might be the only way to sort claims that are over 2 months old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.