Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

New Virgin Thought Bubble - "make us a cash offer to upgrade your flight"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Virgin Thought Bubble - "make us a cash offer to upgrade your flight"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Firemansam
Do virgin offer any form of cheap paid upgrade at checkin to fill the J seats at all?
You can ask to upgrade a Flexi fare in the lounge using their ODU facility.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:28 pm

I've just checked my eligibility for upcoming flights & have 1 x available ADL -SYD. Min upgrade is $200 & it's considered a 'very poor' bid. I wonder whether the min & max change/ vary for the same sectors?

I think I'll be passing this time.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Nic01
I've just checked my eligibility for upcoming flights & have 1 x available ADL -SYD. Min upgrade is $200 & it's considered a 'very poor' bid. I wonder whether the min & max change/ vary for the same sectors?

I think I'll be passing this time.
So assuming a flex fare of $296, and $659 for business saver, with a difference of $363 which means a $200 bid represents a saving of $163.
By contrast if the original fare was saver, say $135, then the saving is a more substantial $324. But then we don't know about the chances of this bid getting accepted.

Assuming an upgrade using points from the flex fare, will need 7400, which if you do not already have can purchase through AMEX MR for $200 (@ $25/1k). At least in this case you can get this confirmed rather than wait for the black box to spit a yes.

Since the upgraded fare still earns the original points/SC, I can't see any value in this gimmick.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Min-Max on some recent Saver fares was $200-400, which was way more than my original fare. Without a kick in points/SCs don't see myself doing it
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Nic01

Min upgrade is $200 & it's considered a 'very poor' bid.
Anyone had success at bidding the "very poor" figure and succeeding?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We got offered Sydney-Townsville at $250 minimum each way as a "poor" bid.

For a less than 3 hour flight, not jumping, even at that.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:56 pm

UpgradeMe Premium Bid success on LAX to MEL

I just got notified that my UpgradeMe premium bid of $505 USD per seat from Economy to Premium Economy was successful for an upcoming LAX to MEL flight. I'll try a lower number on the return and post the results.

Last edited by PracticingAce; Apr 6, 2014 at 8:58 pm Reason: More details
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
VA have now expanded this service to include tickets that were purchased using TAs, so the restriction that it has to be on Virgin Australia directly purchased tickets has been dropped.

On a side note I picked up a Happy Hour Saver Lite fare PER-MEL for $139 and put in the minimum bid of $350 to upgrade to J, so if that comes through I'll be happy for that total price
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jozdemir
VA have now expanded this service to include tickets that were purchased using TAs, so the restriction that it has to be on Virgin Australia directly purchased tickets has been dropped.
Thanks to your update, I just put in a bid for SYD-OOL, which had been booked through an ITA to avoid credit card payment surcharges.

Since my booking was from Canada, I was quoted an upgrade price of $155 in Canadian dollars. This isn't bad. If it comes through, it would be half the price of a Biz Class ticket.

Does anyone know what mileage credit an upgraded fare would earn? I deposit my points in SQ.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
Quote:

Originally Posted by jozdemir

Thanks to your update, I just put in a bid for SYD-OOL, which had been booked through an ITA to avoid credit card payment surcharges.

Since my booking was from Canada, I was quoted an upgrade price of $155 in Canadian dollars. This isn't bad. If it comes through, it would be half the price of a Biz Class ticket.

Does anyone know what mileage credit an upgraded fare would earn? I deposit my points in SQ.
Glad I could help mate!

If the upgrade comes through it should come out of Z inventory, which is the business award fare bucket for VA.

So whilst I haven't tried crediting to SQ after having an upgrade come through, I would wager that it would credit based on your original fare class.

Last edited by jozdemir; Apr 18, 2014 at 8:00 pm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
No reason to be concerned. If DL does not automatically receive your flight data with the original O, send them your original bokking confirmation and your upgrade confirmation and they will sort it out manually. The Z class is irrelevant for you. For these upgrades you earn according to the original booking class.
congrats and enjoy the flight - out of curiosity - what did you bid?

I put in a $1k bid on a Sydney - LAX flight recently - (PE to UC) but no joy!

Happily I managed to upgrade my next flight (VS LAX to LHR) from PE to UC for only $300 and 12.5k miles so was pretty happy about that!

Andrew
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:00 am

Upgraded on MEL to PER

We successfully bid $310 to upgrade seats from MEL to PER (from Flexi to business class) last week. Maybe because it was Good Friday, there were fewer people traveling as the cabin was still about half empty.

We'll be traveling the return next week, so it will be interesting to see how full it is.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:20 am

No luck: C$155 bid SYD-OOL

Despite having at least 5 seats in Business open on tomorrows 17:10 flight SYD-OOL, I had no take up on my upgrade bid of C$155.

It's VA's loss, because I'm pretty sure they won't fill this cabin on tomorrow's flight.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Surely they have until check in to accept the offer?

I'd be amazed if they did not.

As Plats we both got upgraded free both ways on out last trip so they'd be NUTS to pass over a paid offer!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Surely they have until check in to accept the offer?

I'd be amazed if they did not.

As Plats we both got upgraded free both ways on out last trip so they'd be NUTS to pass over a paid offer!
Here is the reply that I got after placing my bid for an upgrade:

This email confirms that we have received your UpgradeMe Premium Bid offer(s) to be upgraded on your upcoming Virgin Australia flight(s).
What will happen if your upgrade offer is successful?
• We will notify you via email no later than one day prior to your departure date
• Your payment card will be billed with the amount of your offer – as outlined in the summary below
• You will receive your new upgraded itinerary via email

If you are unsuccessful you will keep your original ticket and will not be billed for your offer. ...
That means I should have heard back by yesterday evening if they had accepted my bid.

I didn't, and checked in on line this morning, with no further mention/offer of any upgrade.

It's now T-5.5 hours and I'm going to spend a fraction of the ug bid on a nice lunch at the Meat and Wine Co. restaurant to indulge myself in lieu of the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.