Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got on the wrong flight - but how???

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Got on the wrong flight - but how???

I've just done something I thought was impossible in this day-and-age.

I got on a flight that wasn't mine to a destination I didn't want to go to.

Just how did I manage this?

I checked in for Virgin Australia online - and my gate was already printed on the boarding card. Kicked around in the Sydney lounge for a couple of hours, but for once in my life I didn't check the gate again and just rocked up at my original gate as pretty much the first in line, the boarding card reader went beep, I sat in my seat, and it was only when the very last passenger boarded and the door was about to be closed the last pax said he was in my seat - which he was! - and I realised I was on a plane going to Melbourne, not Brisbane as I planned!

And yes, it was entirely my mistake - but the gate had changed, and I often fly to Melbourne, so my mind on autopilot went 'yep, that's where you're going'.

The question that still remains though, is just how did I manage it in an age when computers are supposed to prevent people like be from being dumb?

Not something you would expect from a Velocity Gold - my most 'stupid on a plane' incident. Unless anyone can top it?
Old May 24, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
Hi lorkers,first time post,i was on a TRG to AKl flight a cple of weeks ago and the same scenario happened to another passenger,mistake wasn't realised until 2 people tried to sit in the same seat
Old May 24, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
So just want does it mean when the BP reader goes beep - does it not check that you have a valid BP for that flight?

Did the crew not check the BP on boarding?
Old May 24, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Yes, what's amazing is the bp reader didn't reject the card. You managed to get off the a/c, yes?
Old May 24, 2013, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Yes, what's amazing is the bp reader didn't reject the card. You managed to get off the a/c, yes?
I did indeed - but didn't make the flight I was scheduled for, and had to re-booked onto the next flight, after a bit of a fight where the ground staff argued I had already boarded, therefore I had lost the fare. It took a supervisor to sort that one out!

The crew at the gate, and on the plane both checked my BP, but none of them picked up on it either - the danger of just 'going through the motions' I guess.
Old May 25, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Actually, with gate changes being so common and many flights being very long now (like 14 hours or more with extremely tired pax making connections), it's surprising this doesn't happen all the time. At least you realized the slip before the plane left the gate!
Old May 26, 2013, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by lorkers
I did indeed - but didn't make the flight I was scheduled for, and had to re-booked onto the next flight, after a bit of a fight where the ground staff argued I had already boarded, therefore I had lost the fare. It took a supervisor to sort that one out!

The crew at the gate, and on the plane both checked my BP, but none of them picked up on it either - the danger of just 'going through the motions' I guess.
Just a guess, but the BP reader probably doesnt know where its located, ie which gate. Beep = passenger details and flight are valid. Hence the ground crew believe you boarded the flight.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:48 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Doesn't happen on QF. Using my FF card I have attempted to board an aircraft that was 30 mins earlier by mistake, and the machine said something like 'Do Not Board'
Old May 27, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by ilgattonero
Just a guess, but the BP reader probably doesnt know where its located, ie which gate. Beep = passenger details and flight are valid. Hence the ground crew believe you boarded the flight.
That would be a pretty dumb way to design a boarding pass reader, if that's true. A BP reader has, like, *one* job, and that's stopping people from getting on a flight without a boarding pass for that flight.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: QF, AA, BD, PC, HH, Hertz
I have got on a qflink plane after scanning the wrong boarding pass. I scanned the syd cbr from the morning instead of the cbr syd. I knew one of the flight attendants and they knew I was on board so it was resolved reasonably quickly.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
well that is an unbelievable story I will be more diligent in future myself
thanks for sharing!!!,
I always thought that was that the machine and the beep was for!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I wonder what other airlines have this "issue." Could be a pretty serious issue on carriers where seating is not assigned...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.