Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking VA flights from UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Booking VA flights from UK

I realise that VA is going through a transitional period and upgrading to Sabre, but I find it bizarre that it has a dedicated UK site, and a UK phone number, but the front page http://http://www.virginaustralia.com/uk/en/ proclaims that 'Fares from the UK to Australia coming soon'. Not very good marketing, especially when I do go to the booking engine (Which for some reason doesn't list MEL as a destination option', I can indeed book a simple return from the UK to Australia in GBP. Any reason for the contradiction, other than oversight? Unresolved issues with Virgin Atlantic in regards to marketing to the UK market. It makes VA a weak competitor when QF plays upon Australian-ness in the British market so well.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
How odd...I wonder how the fares look when you try and book with Etihad? The majority of the flights between Abu Dhabi and Australia are a codeshare flight, I'm not 100% sure of the number of flights operated on VA metal.

It's an interesting question though, I wonder if SQ and/or VS flights are meant to come up as well eventually when looking for flights from the UK to Australia.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:14 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Try Expedia.co.uk?

This is how I booked flights from HKT on VA because their website didn't allow it. Or a TA.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have seen VA coded flights available on expedia and on ITA. My main point is given they most people do at least some research online, even if going to a TA, it seems bad business to say fares from the UK to Australia are simply unavailable when this is not the case.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by FormalHall
Yes, I have seen VA coded flights available on expedia and on ITA. My main point is given they most people do at least some research online, even if going to a TA, it seems bad business to say fares from the UK to Australia are simply unavailable when this is not the case.

I'm currently in HTI having flown SYD-HTI-on onward tomorrow to BNE

We had to book via a TA in the uk as couldn't do it ourselves.

Isn't it also odd that the virgin Australia flights into the UK seem to be on Etihad rather than virgin Atlantic ?

cs
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Isn't it also odd that the virgin Australia flights into the UK seem to be on Etihad rather than virgin Atlantic ?
Not at all - Etihad is VAs primary European partner, so it makes sense that they put the VA code on EY flights. Also, I seem to remember reading that the only VS flight that VA puts their code on is SYD-HKG.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:29 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
And I'm not sure Emiratis would like VS' focus on sensuality....
Old Nov 3, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

cs
You should be able to book domestic Australian flights from the UK online, only issue would be forex fees as you would be charged in AUD.

You could even have tried to see if VA is still offered an airpass for international visitors, making for cheap flexible flights. They used to offer it in the Virgin Blue days but have not heard anything about recently.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by FormalHall

cs
You should be able to book domestic Australian flights from the UK online, only issue would be forex fees as you would be charged in AUD.

You could even have tried to see if VA is still offered an airpass for international visitors, making for cheap flexible flights. They used to offer it in the Virgin Blue days but have not heard anything about recently.

Well going back a few months it kept crashing us and dumping us out, was simpler in the end to jus do it via a TA with hotels and transfers etc.

cs
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:30 am
Original Poster

This is a real weak point for VA compared to QF with has a number of smoothly operating websites for each of its major markets. This should be especially important for VA to enable it to distinguish itself from VS, which has some poor reviews for those not lucky enough to have status or upper class tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.