Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Confused about status credit/segment rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VAG

Hi folks. I'm moving from SFO to MEL and trying to decide whether to switch to QF or VA for my flying. I'm still trying to figure out some of the rules. In particular this one:

"When you purchase a single domestic or international short haul fare with Virgin Australia and there is a via point which does not involve a stopover, the Status Credits are awarded on the mileage from origin to destination, e.g. ABX-BNE via SYD will receive the Status Credits for the distance and fare type flown based on ABX-BNE"

So a multi-segment journey earns like a single segment but only if it's both (a) booked on VA and (b) domestic or international short-haul (whatever that is).

So if I fly SFO-AKL-SYD on NZ, say, then this gives me status credits for the SFO-AKL and AKL-SYD separately? [Assuming I'm in an earning fare code on NZ]

Also, it looks like earning in premium economy is very generous; if I'd credited my NZ premium economy flight this month SFO-AKL-SYD/SYD-AKL-SFO to Virgin instead of UA then it seems like I would have got ~300 status credits and be almost all the way to Gold already. Right? Or am I missing something?

I suppose it's too late to change and credit to VA instead, right?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jorgen
tus Credits for the distance and fare type flown based on ABX-BNE"

So a multi-segment journey earns like a single segment but only if it's both (a) booked on VA and (b) domestic or international short-haul (whatever that is).
It earns as a single segment if you are booked on the DJ flight codes. If you are on the VA codes, the rule does not apply.

(Will have to wait and see what happens when they drop the DJ code)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
If I fly Premium Economy BNE-SYD-LAX what level of status credits would I get for BNE-SYD? Economy or Premium Economy?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
You'll get premium economy status credits based on miles flown. It'll be a VA coded flight, so it will follow VA accrual rules. Should look something like:

BNE-SYD: 582 points, 30 status credits
SYD-LAX: 9369 points, 120 status credits
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by Jorgen
So if I fly SFO-AKL-SYD on NZ, say, then this gives me status credits for the SFO-AKL and AKL-SYD separately? [Assuming I'm in an earning fare code on NZ]
Yup, these credit separately. The only time it won't credit separately is if you've booked connecting flights that are DJ coded .. otherwise it credits as you'd expect.

Also yes, premium economy status credits are very generous - one of the things I quite like about the Velocity program

If you've not already flown and would prefer to credit the flights to VA, call up NZ and ask to change the FF number in the booking.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by notzac
You'll get premium economy status credits based on miles flown. It'll be a VA coded flight, so it will follow VA accrual rules. Should look something like:

BNE-SYD: 582 points, 30 status credits
SYD-LAX: 9369 points, 120 status credits
Thank you for your reply. Sounds fine to me. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.