Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Look what happens when there is competition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum (BIS); VS Red; EK Blue; QF Gold; AA; Golden Circle executive; A Club Silver; SPG PG

Just noticed this morning that QF have changed their fare structure so that there are only 3 fares for economy - red edeal, flexi saver and fully flexible. Seems super saver is going.

However, did a search for BNE/SYD for next month and flexi has been reduced to as low as $206 one way (VA is from $205), with flexi saver status credits staying the same.

Taking today's available flights for example (which don't seem to have the new fare structure), super saver is up to $295 one way with flexi saver up to $395 one way.

It appears that QF is certainly taking notice of the VA's push into the corporate traveller.

Dammit - I may have to re-think my strategy now.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:36 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Just searched for a ticket from ADL to MEL for this Sunday - QF (complimentary baggage) is cheaper than DJ (when baggage fee added). As a Star Alliance addict, I am only interested in price (when no *A flight), this time QF won.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:52 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by TPJ
Just searched for a ticket from ADL to MEL for this Sunday - QF (complimentary baggage) is cheaper than DJ (when baggage fee added). As a Star Alliance addict, I am only interested in price (when no *A flight), this time QF won.
If you are SQ member, you may think differently soon, with the SQ-DJ agreement going live.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Speaking of competition, I am planning some inter-Australia flights and am trying to decide between Virgin and Jetstar. Fares and schedules are comparable, but baggage/lounge access are the questions:

Flying V Aus in Business class to Australia, but these will be separate tickets in tourist on different days, not connections from the international flight, so don't think I gain anything there.

Will Virgin let me in the lounge in SYD as a DL Platinum? (I think so).

Baggage is the real issue, would like to carry on, but not sure that is possible based on the websites - we will each have a stuffed 21 inch roller bag and a small carry on (me-laptop, wife-makeup bag or backpack). Is this doable on either carrier or will be be forced to check? If so, the $12 in advance deal on Virgin seems like a better deal.....again DL Platinum any help?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You should have access to Virgin Australia Lounges as a DL Platinum.

As to your baggage: (http://www.virginaustralia.com/Perso...gage/index.htm)
Carry-on Baggage
What’s allowed

You may take, included in your fare, baggage weighing up to 7 kg on board with you, which might consist of:
  • One carry on bag that must not exceed height 34 cm length 48 cm depth 23 cm or
  • Two briefcases, or
  • Two small bags, or
  • One briefcase/small bag and one suit pack/garment bag (60 cm 114 cm 11 cm)
  • The total of each combination must not exceed 7kg

In addition to the cabin baggage allowance, one of the following personal items may be carried in the cabin:
  • Laptop computer*, a handbag, pocketbook or purse
  • An overcoat, wrap or blanket
  • An umbrella or walking stick
  • A small camera or pair of binoculars
  • A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight
  • A pair of crutches or prosthetic devices for your use, provided that you are dependant on them for mobility
*Laptops in a thin satchel style laptop bag are considered to be a personal item. Laptops in larger laptop bags are counted as part of your carry-on allowance. ...
You may be able to discretely push this out to say 8 or 9 kg (~20lb) but any more than that is pushing it. (Of course, YMMV and you may actually have your carry-on weighed at check-in.)

Also note that not all fares include a check luggage allowance and if you have to check there will be additional payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.