Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

New Amex/Velocity co-branded cards released

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:58 am
Original Poster

www.velocityamex.com.au

American Express Velocity Platinum Card.
American Express Velocity Gold Card.
American Express Velocity Business Card.

Similar to the "Qantas Amex" cards, but with the Virgin Australia twist.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Cool. Thanks for posting. Haven't noticed this yet.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: VA Silver, VA Lounge, QF Bronze
That's interesting that they've got the new Velocity logo too - I just received my new NAB Amex/Visa Velocity cards with the old logo on it.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
They look good but a little pricey.

If the 2for1 was on all fares and not just on premium fares I would be more likely to go for the card.

Also if the 3x points were earned on codeshare flights purchased abroad, e.g. EY LHR-SIN return flights with one leg on VA metal, then I would be more likely to take this card up. OT all my longhaul VA flying in the near future is likely to be LHR-SYD on EY-issued tickets, as VA don't sell LHR-SYD return only SYD-LHR return - which is kind of not customer-friendly, although I believe there may be marketing/branding reasons for this.

But basically the two combined makes the Amex Plat card unattractive for me as the costs would tend to outweigh the benefits. I already have cards which give QF points at an equivalent level and another card fee is not really justifiable.

Things that would make this card more worthwhile for me would be the 2for1 being available on more fare classes, a 2for1 on points redemption bookings like on the BA Amex, and/or or an annual status credit bonus like on the BMI Plus Amex in the UK.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
FWIW, I've just applied for one to replace my AmEx Qantas Ultimate card. Annual fee was due, I've moved my business to VA, no real point in keeping a card that credits to Qantas. So.

The thing that did it for me was the insurance - even though it's not as good as the insurance provided with the Platinum Reserve, it covers flights booked using Velocity points. The 3 x points on VA spend was also very encouraging. Free flight is a little annoying; the destination I want ex-MEL isn't available (BNE). Companion fares mean exactly nothing to me as I generally travel by myself, so that didn't sway me one way or the other.

I had a tough time deciding this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.