Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia / Delta JV approved

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Virgin Australia / Delta JV approved

The US DoT has given final approval for the joint venture between Virgin Australia and Delta. Hopefully that mean full frequent flyer reciprocity before the end of the calendar year.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/approved-vir...n=home-flipper

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...th-delta-777s/
Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I would be amazed if DL decides to fly their 777LR for ATL-SYD. Would be a very convenient route though.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 6:12 pm

I hope this means a daytime west bound flight LAX-SYD/BNE/MEL. Leaving LAX in the morning and arriving in east coast Oz in the evening is a great way to handle jet lag. QF used have a Thursday flight that flew during the daytime.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by goback
I hope this means a daytime west bound flight LAX-SYD/BNE/MEL. Leaving LAX in the morning and arriving in east coast Oz in the evening is a great way to handle jet lag. QF used have a Thursday flight that flew during the daytime.
The problem is there is not much demand for such a route (which is why QF does not offer it anymore). The reasons why there is not much demand are:
- a morning departure from LAX will not allow for many transfer pax to arrive at LAX on time, and
- evening arrival at SYD will not allow for many trasfer pax to reach other Australian destinations after arrival at SYD.

So your dream flight is not very likely to happen. I think it is more likely that VA will offer SFO-SYD instead and use Virgin America connections for transfer pax on the US side.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by cityflyer369

So your dream flight is not very likely to happen. I think it is more likely that VA will offer SFO-SYD instead and use Virgin America connections for transfer pax on the US side.
His dream is far more likely then yours. This JV will stop Virgin Australia from using Virgin America for any connections what-so-ever. All of those will be done by Delta - even if i means having to connect in Salt Lake City or Atlanta. The only thing that Virgin America will have with Virgin Australia is a reciprocal frequent flier program, and thats it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.