Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rate Virgin Blue Velocity

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Rate Virgin Blue Velocity

We are going to review Virgin Blue Velocity in the January issue of InsideFlyer magazine and would like your input.

If you would like to participate, please post your response in the thread with the pros and cons of Velocity and grade the program from A to F (A being the highest grade). You can include a plus or minus with the rating.

You can also respond directly to me at [email protected].
Thank you!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: QFF Bronze, Velocity Red
Pros:
-Sale Point redemptions. When Virgin have a sale, all Velocity flights are reduced significantly for both all inclusive points or part points/part cash option. Good way to clear out small amounts of points. A $39 sale fare which is very rare might be 3500 all inlcusive with points. Happy Hour sale fares are also refelcted on Velocity, good savings to be had
-Seperate boarding line for checkin is handy and its always empty.

Cons:
-Amount of places to earn is limited. Especially car hire. Partner airlines are picking up, but still no Virgin America which I have flown over the last few weeks.
-Being offered a free Gold Upgrade and getting quite exited about it, then they take it away from us!. Was a good laugh anyway.
-Getting to Gold takes a long time, and seing Virgin have been reducing flights on alot of main trunks due to competition (like MEL-SYD), its very hard to earn your way on a Blue Saver.
-Not being offered any type of seat selection at the time of booking. DJ are starting to get behind. Not fussed if I have to pay $2 to select a seat, when it comes to OLCI, seat availability is dredful. One reason why I dont always fly Virgin on long haul. Even if there is a "Window" or "Aisle" Selection like Qantas Frequuent Flyer offers.
-Benefits of Silver is not that enticing. Could offer more benefits, cheaper lounge access/no Bag fees etc..

I give Velocity a 70% rating, or a C. If you want me to keep going just tell me.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Velocity Rewards

Simple earning rate based on spend - while easy to use it does mean no mileage runs are possible.

Opaque burning rate. Award cost is not known until time of booking.

Almost fixed burning rate - means earn : burn ratio is almost fixed with limited opportunity for savvy FFers to optimise.

Few airline or non-airline partners outside Australia thus less options for earning and redemption. The lack of link up with all the other Virgin airlines is particularly annoying and brand damaging.

Elite status is straight forward to achieve (albeit not cheap). However few benefits unless you travel regularly on Virgin Blue in Australia (no lounges and no preferred seating within NZ and South Pacific for example).

The gold upgrade email error was embarrassing for DJ.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Would you prefer only the positive points?

Just looking at your rating of the A-Club program.
Originally Posted by darcie_InsideFlyer
We are going to review Accor A|Club in the May issue of InsideFlyer magazine and would like your input.

If you would like to participate, please post your response in the thread with the pros and cons of membership in A|Club and grade the program from A to F (A being the highest grade).
And the feedback from FTers was rather negative. Asked to rate from A to F, the best rating was C and there were several F's.

Imagine our surprise when IF produced a puff piece extolling the virtues of A-Club:
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
The review for this program is in this months issue.

Frankly, reading the review, I'm shocked at how well it did. Mind you, I did learn a lot more about the program too.

I'm suprised by IF's reluctance to be candid, at least with how high customers rated it, The result will have me questioning the accuracy of their future reviews.
What FTer's actually said:

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yeah. The program is awful. I've mostly avoided Mercures for years because of the lack of a real loyalty program (I might as well Priceline it ...), but I thought I'd give A Club a chance. It's really not much better than it was pre-AClub.
Originally Posted by Toli
Pros:
- comped to Platinum from Sofitel Privilege with some 15 nights

Cons:
- have not received my Plat status since accepting the offer last September, despite many e-mails, two phonecalls with agents promising a fix and a request through their website for a new PLATINUM card a week ago.

What do I get in reply?

"Dear Mr Toli,

We would like to thank you for your interest in the A|Club program.

You should receive your A|Club Classic card at the following address: ...";

- no benefits at properties other than Sofitel and MGallery.

They are a waste of time.
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Grade: Incomplete

Good: Absolutely no idea

Bad: Not one single stay has posted my points

I really like the properties so I keep coming back but although reception always says my account number is on the reservation I've never got my points to post. Judging by the benefits on offer I can't justify the time to chase them down either.
Originally Posted by bananacake
My ten penneth - this is an awful program, overly complicated, not connected to a range of hotels. I was trying the Novotel monaco which looks nice, but in the end the lack of a decent program put me off.
Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
I have just founded the Accor "Infuriated Guest - Bogus Program". So much trouble, so much hassle, so much illogic with this program. Bureaucratic, disorganized, complete waste of time.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Velocity Rewards

Simple earning rate based on spend - while easy to use it does mean no mileage runs are possible.
I will respond in more detail to the original request later when I have the time, but with the advent of V Australia, not all points/status earning is based on spend, as travel on V Australia is based on points earning and status to be accrued on miles travelled, varying between 0.25 pts to 2 pts per mile.

Last edited by lokijuh; Nov 23, 2009 at 7:40 pm
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:07 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Sunstar320

Cons:

-Benefits of Silver is not that enticing. Could offer more benefits, cheaper lounge access/no Bag fees etc..

Silver status does get you free luggage of 23kg's and reduced joining fee to the lounge.

I like that Velocity have many more points specials than QF... I managed to snag VA business for 76k each way SYD-LAX earlier this year.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:05 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, Velocity
Pro:
Shop & Earn store - great idea. Not sure if any other programs have this, I know QFF and Krisflyer don't. But its great, especially if you do internet shopping anyway. Good easy way to keep points ticking up, some pretty decent points rates on there too (better than flight earning rates).

Last edited by Ben Ell; Nov 24, 2009 at 1:28 am
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:20 am

In evaluating velocity, you need to consider it in terms of its intended market - particularly as it is really only open to Australian/NZ residents, as discussed on the Aus FF board.

Thus - it was primarily set up as a competitor to the QF FF progam and to a lesser extent the NZ Airpoints program. In many ways points redemption requirements and even status earning do not depart too wildly from those of the QF program.

My opinion, at the moment around B-, has potential to improve.

Pros:
- Points earnt on all domestic fares
- Simple earning equation on domestic fares (points per $)
- Competitive with QF on earning points on higher fares (on flights < 1000 miles, and fares > $200 earn is greater than QF)
- Status earn competitive with QF for lower fares and higher fares
- Good option for earning points on the two main airlines servicing Australia that aren't part of Star Alliance or One world (MH and EK in particular, but also good for other carriers unaligned to * or OW VS, Hawaiian and soon to come I understand DL)
- Free checked luggage with status
- Lounges are not overcrowded
- Good range of domestic destinations for awards, often at very good earn/burn rates
- Good credit card linkages both in direct and indirect earning programs.
- Acceptable hotel and car partners
- Ability to earn online shopping
- Anytime awards that are correlated with airfares on sale
- Status credit and points earning accelerated with status

Cons:
- Not part of alliance
- Difficulty in redeeming on partner airlines for reasonable burn rates (ie those that aren't part of the Virgin Blue group) (redemption rates can be high on EK and MH, not sure about the others)
- Limited international linkages/destinations, particularly intra-Europe and US (although should improve slowly - when DL officially becomes a partner)
- Lack of recroprical recognition of status (again DL tie up is improving this, as I understand from pre-announcements on AFF, DL/DJ mutual recognition of status is now available, particularly for lounge access)
- Limited ports with lounge access, none in NZ
- No priority luggage for tier members
- Status bonus (20% and 40%) not quite as good as on QF
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:18 pm

Last edited by GO_CAT; Nov 25, 2009 at 8:52 pm
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Competitive with QF on earning points on higher fares (on flights < 1000 miles, and fares > $200 earn is greater than QF)
Agreed.

Virgin Blue has made it completely clear that it wants high fare paying, frequent business travellers onboard its aircraft. I think that any analysis of Velocity needs to start by acknowledging this business strategy. Also thus tactically, it is worth analysing & valuing Velocity based on -
  • golden triangle travel (between Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne)
  • transcontinental travel (between Perth & the East Coast)
  • two other top ten domestic destinations/origins Adelaide & Gold Coast. (Qantas has completely ceded all services to/from OOL to its mass-market vehicle - Jetstar, and this significantly effect points/status earning within the QFF program.)

Additionally, pricing analysis tends to show that Virgin Blue is targeting the Qantas Fully Flexible Economy price point by offering a higher level of service (to passengers in this category) than Qantas does. Virgin Blue calls it Premium Economy, and seats "guests" 2x2 on 737 aircraft at a comparative price point where Qantas seats its passengers 3x3 on 737 aircraft.

Within this segment/price point, at Virgin Blue -
  • Velocity offers generally better earning value than QFF,
  • and, importantly, better in air service than Qantas!

Agree with other posters that DJ has probably been a little too astute at closing off loop holes (e.g. FT-style status runs etc) which serve to make many other airlines’ programs attractive/interesting/engaging. [Perhaps Velocity's a bit too black & white, with too few shades of grey!]

Last edited by Maybe1; Nov 24, 2009 at 10:45 pm
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Maybe1
Agree with other posters that DJ has probably been a little too astute at closing off loop holes (e.g. FT-style status runs etc) which serve to make many other airlines’ programs attractive/interesting/engaging. [Perhaps Velocity's a bit too black & white, with too few shades of grey!]
THey still exist, but aren't easy to find or quite as generous as other programs loopholes (such as getting QF status using YUP fares on AA in the US). For DJ only flying it takes a spend of $9,167 AUD to achieve gold status (and keep gold status for longer than two hours ). However with VAustralia it is now possible to get there with a spend of around $6K, so not exactly a loophole but now sale fares can be taken advantage of to get status faster.

And VAustralia Y+ can be better for status than QF, for example it will take 4 return Y+ fares MEL-LAX-MEL to get Gold on QF, yet only 3 on Velocity.

Last edited by lokijuh; Nov 24, 2009 at 11:24 pm
Old Nov 25, 2009, 4:19 pm

Good to hear V Australia offers some traditional shades of grey on Velocity.

Here are some facts/figures that some may or may not be interested in -

A first time flier on a flight: Perth – Sydney in the $900 (to $930) price range.

QFF
Points = 4082
SCs = 80 (22.9% of the way to silver)
Seated in Economy (no lounge access)

Velocity
Points = 4500
SCs = 4500 (22.5% of the way to silver)
Seated in Premium Economy (PE comes with single lounge access*)

A Gold Level Flyer on a flight: Perth – Sydney in the $900 (to $930) price range.

QFF
Points = 6124
SCs=80 (15.0% towards requalifying for gold)
Seated in Economy (gold lounge access + guest)

Velocity
Points = 6300
SCs = 6300 (12.6% towards requalifying for gold)
Seated in Premium Economy (gold lounge access* + guest)

Last edited by Maybe1; Nov 25, 2009 at 5:56 pm Reason: *The Lounge in Perth is timetabled to open December09
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:57 pm

Programs: Qantas - Gold, Virgin - Gold, Hilton, Sheraton
My big beef with Virgin is the lack of recognition of frequent flyers apart from a welcome back as you hop on board based on your boarding pass. You could fly every second day and get middle seat down back every time.

Recently seems some better seating blocked for Silver & Gold Velocity at manual check in or just lucky. Any other time you 'll be anywhere if you don't get in early enough.

Understand their systems can't distinguish Velocity members at present to look after them! Lots of business flyers came across but may head back to Qantas if they do't move quickly to offer more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.