Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens to ITA Airway award bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023 | 3:08 pm
Original Poster

What happens to ITA Airway award bookings?

Now that ITA Airways is poised to join Star Alliance (some time in the future), does anyone know if Virgin would still manage existing award bookings on ITA?

I understand no one really knows but curious if there's been similar situations with other airlines where this has happened. I'm planning on booking a flight to Rome next Spring and I'm wondering if my flight were cancelled or changed, would Virgin open up seats on their planes to get me there? Or would they simply refund the points?
Old Aug 4, 2023 | 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
Assuming the awards are ticketed, it won't matter if ITA changes alliances.

However, if ITA then cancels your flight, you are totally at the mercy of Flying Club. Hopefully they would try to get you to Rome on Air France or KLM. They wouldn't route you via London because they don't offer London to Rome flights.
Old Aug 5, 2023 | 7:25 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: US, LH, HH
EU261 (Air Passengers Rights Regulation) fully applies. ITA is ultimately responsible to accomodate in case of flight changes or cancellations.
Old Aug 5, 2023 | 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by freakazoid
EU261 (Air Passengers Rights Regulation) fully applies. ITA is ultimately responsible to accomodate in case of flight changes or cancellations.
That might be how it works in theory, but in practice it doesn't work that way with partner award bookings cancelled well in advance. ITA will simply say that it's not their ticket.

Partner FFPs usually moan about there being no award space available on alternative flights - and therefore offer a full refund. The real world alternatives usually end up being:
  1. Pestering the FFP to offer an alternative
  2. Making alternative arrangements yourself and suing ITA for reimbursement
loltrain likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023 | 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
That might be how it works in theory, but in practice it doesn't work that way with partner award bookings cancelled well in advance. ITA will simply say that it's not their ticket.

Partner FFPs usually moan about there being no award space available on alternative flights - and therefore offer a full refund. The real world alternatives usually end up being:
  1. Pestering the FFP to offer an alternative
  2. Making alternative arrangements yourself and suing ITA for reimbursement
Yeah, this flight is far in the future, and I believe EU 261 only covers if it's T-14 days from departure. Sadly, I have a feeling ITA will likely change or cancel the flight entirely, so wanted to have a clear plan B before booking. For some reason, I thought VS flew to Rome, so they would open seats up on their own plane. Alas. I also suspect it'll be nearly impossible to have them offer alternatives on partners KLM or CDG as those two airlines rarely have saver awards--much less during peakish season for two.

Thanks everyone! Will weigh the risks...
Old Aug 5, 2023 | 4:51 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by loltrain
Yeah, this flight is far in the future, and I believe EU 261 only covers if it's T-14 days from departure.
EU 261 covers all flights from EU airlines and all flights departing from the EU, the 14 days only matter in terms of additional monetary compensation. "If your flight is cancelled you have the right to choose between reimbursement, re-routing or return. [...] If you were informed of the cancellation less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure date, you have a right to compensation." https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...m#cancellation
NickB likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023 | 2:16 pm
5 Years on Site

On a different note, does anyone know how I can pull up the reservation on ITA website if I have an award ticket booked thru Virgin? I tried using the ticket number and the reservation number, but neither works.
Old Aug 7, 2023 | 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited3M80 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Such tickets are always honored. Don’t think there will be any issue.
Old Aug 8, 2023 | 3:37 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by jskang07
On a different note, does anyone know how I can pull up the reservation on ITA website if I have an award ticket booked thru Virgin? I tried using the ticket number and the reservation number, but neither works.
I have no knowledge, but ITA might have their own reservation code you'd have to request from the Virgin hotline. Looks to me that ITA only allows check-in, but not managing your flight via ticket number.
Old Aug 8, 2023 | 5:08 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jskang07
Called VS Customer Service for my flight next May, they had and furnished myself with ITA's proper PRN. It was the only way I could log into ITA and select seats.
Monolith2 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023 | 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by loltrain
Yeah, this flight is far in the future, and I believe EU 261 only covers if it's T-14 days from departure. Sadly, I have a feeling ITA will likely change or cancel the flight entirely, so wanted to have a clear plan B before booking. For some reason, I thought VS flew to Rome, so they would open seats up on their own plane. Alas. I also suspect it'll be nearly impossible to have them offer alternatives on partners KLM or CDG as those two airlines rarely have saver awards--much less during peakish season for two.

Thanks everyone! Will weigh the risks...
From where will you be flying to FCO?
May you keep us update about this booking? if next year ITA does cancel it or not
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.